Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

NBA Regular Season & Playoffs 2019-20 Thread

1262728293032»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Clippers handing Tyrone Lue a 5-year contract. That seems...unwise.

Wow. Crazy move to fire Doc if you’re replacing him with Lue, but for 5 years? He won’t last 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

Wow. Crazy move to fire Doc if you’re replacing him with Lue, but for 5 years? He won’t last 3.

Yea, seems bananas, I think Kawhi can opt out next season also if Iam not mistaken so it could turn into a real dumpster fire quick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭xgronkjabv6pcl

Yea, seems bananas, I think Kawhi can opt out next season also if Iam not mistaken so it could turn into a real dumpster fire quick

Perhaps he only signs once guaranteed a longer contract.

He's not in a bad position given the coaching market is quite soft at present.
    There aren't many coaches around with recent Championship winning experience

Similar to Nash's appointment, he's there to manage egos not be a tactician. That's something he has done before.

It doesn't seem a great hire in a vacuum but I can't see many alternatives which is something I'm guessing all parties knew.

On a side note, Daryl Morey is stepping down as Rockets GM which is a huge loss to both them and the league in general.

One of the true pioneers of the game in recent years.

On a side note, Daryl Morey is stepping down as Rockets GM which is a huge loss to both them and the league in general.

One of the true pioneers of the game in recent years.

I don’t think it’s “stepping down” tbh. Clearly the relationship with the owner has soured. I mostly like Morey, but there’s been some very petty things Houston have done in recent years like the referees report etc.

I don’t think he’ll be jobless for too long.

• Advertisement

Perhaps he only signs once guaranteed a longer contract.

He's not in a bad position given the coaching market is quite soft at present.
    There aren't many coaches around with recent Championship winning experience

Similar to Nash's appointment, he's there to manage egos not be a tactician. That's something he has done before.

It doesn't seem a great hire in a vacuum but I can't see many alternatives which is something I'm guessing all parties knew.

You’re probably right on the length of contract issue as he reportedly turned down the lakers job last year as it was a 3 year contract and at “only” 6-7m a year. He seems to have a very high opinion of himself, which I’m baffled at tbh, as his resume of 1 championship with arguably the 2nd best player of all time leading the team is not all that impressive.

I’m not the biggest Doc Rivers fan, but he’s an infinitely better coach than Lue.

It really begs the question as to why fire Rivers I’d you didn’t have a better option to come in? The fact it’s taken this long to appoint Lue means he was never first choice - if he was they’d have done this immediately.

I really hope Stan Van Gundy gets the Pelicans job. JJ Redick speaks very highly of him as a very forward thinker who's also big on player development.

It seems like a good fit for that young core buttressed by Redick and even the defensive acumen of Holiday.

I can't really imagine a much better available coaching fit, particularly for Zion & Lonzo.

They'll surely be a Top 3 team on everyone's NBA Pass. Solid chance of a playoff spot next year.

I really hope Stan Van Gundy gets the Pelicans job. JJ Redick speaks very highly of him as a very forward thinker who's also big on player development.

It seems like a good fit for that young core buttressed by Redick and even the defensive acumen of Holiday.

I can't really imagine a much better available coaching fit, particularly for Zion & Lonzo.

They'll surely be a Top 3 team on everyone's NBA Pass. Solid chance of a playoff spot next year.

Assuming Zion can egt fit and stay healthy of course. It's the elephant in the room.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 877 ✭✭✭jk23

Can anyone see any big free agent moves this year or will we have to wait until next summer? Alot of talk of Giannis going to Miami

jk23 wrote: »
    Can anyone see any big free agent moves this year or will we have to wait until next summer? Alot of talk of Giannis going to Miami

The Heat or the Mavs but given the current situation and potentially reducing salary cap, less teams will have the necessary space.

The Bucks can offer him significantly more money than anyone else due to the SuperMax.

Fred VanFleet looks like the biggest this summer unless DeRozan seeks a larger contract but again given the situation I doubt he declines it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,095 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I think he'll leave the Bucks next summer.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    I think he'll leave the Bucks next summer.

I've listened to a few ex player guest podcasts recently and the discussion of smaller market teams like Minnesota/Milwaukee came up and for the most part, players just dont want to be there.

You'd like to see Milwaukee reap the rewards of his talent but I think the draw of Cuban/Carlisle/Luka or Riley/Spoe/Jimmy will be too much.
    My preference is the former too.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Offseason 2020 Thread

That time of the year/season/pandemic!

Advertisement