Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Machine Needs 16 Amp Supply

• 15-10-2019 12:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hi,
    I'm looking at getting a new bandsaw and the spec says it needs a 16 amp power supply.
    Does that mean that I need to have a special supply installed in the fuse box/circuit breaker board and is that expensive, or is the normal supply adequate.
    The machine spec includes the following -
    Motor input P1: 2000W.
    Motor output P2:1500W.
    Voltage: 230 V
    Frequency: 50 Hz
    Full load current: 8.6 A
    Short circuit rating: 1 kA
    Any advice appreciated.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Willywally

Its a blue plug top and socket your looking for. You could run a dedicated circuit from your fuse board or convert one of your normal 13 amp sockets to the blue one. You will just have to be the careful if your swapping out an existing 13amp socket that there is not much else on that circuit or you could end up tripping the mcb when you start the machine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Yes it will risk tripping out a 20 amp socket circuit so a dedicated circuit with maybe a C type mcb would be better.

It will probably be starting with no load on it which helps, although the starting current is the same loaded or unloaded.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Some of these have a built in soft starter to reduce the starting current.

Yes they can have that alright.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

My Makita table saw has a soft start and it is similar power requirements. Mine works just fine off a standard socket circuit with a 13A plugtop.

• Advertisement

13 amp plug definitely do if it has soft start. The requirement for 16a sort of suggests its just a standard start and stop, but hard to know from here. Could just be requiring next size up from 10a.

@ the OP: In summary it would be best to check the manual.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 dubturner

Thanks everyone for the advice - it is much appreciated.

Advertisement