Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Moving phone outlet to a different room

• 14-10-2019 8:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭

Hey!

Our phone outlet is under the stairs, but I'd like it moved to the living room (not on adjoining walls).

I know the hardest part here is running the cables, but I'm no good at that.

Are there any professionals that can do this for me? Without costing a fortune.

Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,531 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

The simplest, neatest and cheapest solution would be to buy a cordless phone. Better still buy 2. The handset can sit on a charger in any room.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭bystarlight

It's not for phone use.

I'd like my modem in the living room next to the TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,363 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Why do you need the modem beside the TV? ethernet connection to smart TV? or sky box?

You could just use a pair of power line adapters and run the ethernet from the modem over the power lines in to beside the TV. It would be a much better job. As ADSL connections can be problematic if extended, as the characteristic impedance can be altered by different cable/joint.

As you say the most expensive part will be lifting floorboard (if not concrete) and running the cable.

Power line adapters might be the way to go - thanks for your help!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,363 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Power line adapters might be the way to go - thanks for your help!

Yea they work pretty good, you will get well above 100Mbps out of them and cost about €30. As your on ADSL by the sounds of it, 100Mbps will be plenty.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Yea I use powerline adaptors. One at tv for a pc, another in the shed, and another for lightwaverf hub.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,452 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

If you're running cables, then run a network cable (or two) from the modem to the location you want, get them fitted to wall plates (or go with home plugs, but I find them hit or miss).

Extending the phone cable can reduce the speed you get, and also requires Eir (or whoever) to correctly wire the master terminating socket.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭HoggyRS

Hey!

Our phone outlet is under the stairs, but I'd like it moved to the living room (not on adjoining walls).

I know the hardest part here is running the cables, but I'm no good at that.

Are there any professionals that can do this for me? Without costing a fortune.

Thanks!

What part of the country are you in?

HoggyRS wrote: »
    What part of the country are you in?

Limerick

Advertisement