Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How common is it for people to never find an other half or have kids?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

We are programmed to procreate to keep our successful variation of genes going to the next generation.

Programmed you say?

I think God's routine may be caught in a ****ed-up loop. He needs a debugger.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

A friend of mine is nearly 41 so the ship has likely sailed. She's gutted, as she always wanted children. She has been in three serious relationships but single since 35 (thought he'd be the one but he was cheating on her, and she didn't meet him until she was 33/34) - last relationship before that one ended when she was 28.

She goes out a lot and is the very woman whom the malcontents would call desperate because she put it off for years, and now she's a saddo going out all the time. Whereas the actual facts are: she didn't put it off, it just didn't happen for her. She is not a career woman. She goes out a lot because she wants to meet someone. She is extremely attractive and looks after herself.

This is my biggest fear. I've been thinking about it a lot lately, because I really really want children, and I think if I get to my mid 30's and still haven't found the right person to settle down with, I'll be going down the donor/IVF route on my own.

Its not ideal and wouldn't be for everyone, but I'd rather do it alone than not do it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

i'm not a parent but as far as life having a "purpose", if indeed it has a purpose, its almost certainly to procreate. do some childless people do more good in the world than people with kids? definitely. but in so far as "you and me baby aint nothin but mammals", producing offspring certainly seems to be the whole point of life.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,720 ✭✭✭Greyfox

"you and me baby aint nothin but mammals", producing offspring certainly seems to be the whole point of life.

Which is why the world has an endless list of problems. producing offspring on its own is bad for the world. producing offspring where you know you can support a child and give them a decent life is a good thing. Having a kid is nice but I wont be having any as I can think of about 500 better ways to spend €70,000/€80,000

• Registered Users Posts: 13,804 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

If your Mam & Dad are still around, I hope you'll be especially nice to them the next time you speak to them!

I'm living with them, looking after them like they looked after me. Rest of the siblings have their own families, makes sense for me to live there and help. Plus, circumstances led to me having to live there temporarily while I got settled after a big life change, and it has turned into a mutually beneficial situation.
    @The potential monke..
    I honestly don't think I've ever heard of anyone regretting having children..

It's been touched on by others, but you're rarely have people telling others that they regret it. I'm in a good situation insofar as the people that trust me tell me these things. If you're pro-children, 99.999% chance no one will tell you this. If you're anti-children, there's a higher possibility of someone admitting this.
    I accept most of the points in your post but the above is either a strikingly immature attitude for a 36 year old or some kind of mental gymnastics you've used to validate your decision not to have children.

Or, the truth. They do smell. They are loud. They do **** themselves. All stuff I just don't like or want to put up with. You can call it immature, I call it reasons. I have to leave rooms when there are babies in them, just simply cannot stand them. Same as people who have a strong dislike of cats. Also, all those things are part and parcel of having kids, and if you don't like those things, why can't it be part of the reason to not have them? Do I need some special reason to not have them? As I said, it's part of it. The other part is I know I'm not in any position to look after another human, either financially or emotionally. I also don't think I'd be a great father, as I've turned selfish (in a positive way) since moving back home, due to people taking advantage of my good nature. You can't be selfish and a good parent.

I have 4 siblings, and 10 nieces/nephews. I have never babysit, because hells no, but now that they're in their teens (one is 20) I am giving lifts, collecting them from nights out, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Greyfox wrote: »
    Which is why the world has an endless list of problems. producing offspring on its own is bad for the world. producing offspring where you know you can support a child and give them a decent life is a good thing. Having a kid is nice but I wont be having any as I can think of about 500 better ways to spend €70,000/€80,000
    coke and hookers: the meaning of life

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

my brother just had one at 43 (an accident)

I'm glad we cleared that up.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,735 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

ToddyDoody wrote: »
    I'm glad we cleared that up.

The kid is Colombian Irish and lives in bogota we call him El Accidente

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

The kid is Colombian Irish and lives in bogota we call him El Accidente

Sounds like fun.

ToddyDoody wrote: »
    Sounds like fun.

I hope he can smuggle me some local produce over when he's grown up a bit

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭HappyAsLarE

I am married to a woman that doesn’t want kids, just couldn’t imagine leaving her.

I do feel I lack a real purpose without kids, as essentially I won’t be passing on my genes. I’ll be a mere memory for a period of time, whereas with kids there is a lineage.

I am married to a woman that doesn’t want kids, just couldn’t imagine leaving her.

I do feel I lack a real purpose without kids, as essentially I won’t be passing on my genes. I’ll be a mere memory for a period of time, whereas with kids there is a lineage.

Who cares... I couldn’t name any of my great grandparents. Lineage means F all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

lashes34 wrote: »
    Christ I hate this attitude - life has a purpose without procreating. How patronising to say otherwise. Maybe your life has nothing in it before kids, thankfully its not that way for others.

A lot of people dedicate their lives to themselves and that is perfectly fine. They want to travel, see the world, have money to have a comfortable standard of living and that is ok.

Each to their own but the patronising crap from some parents needs to stop. Wrecks my head.

I'm childless and don't intend to have kids but that is the reason for life in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,904 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Zaph wrote: »
    I agree. Unfortunately there is a certain cohort of people who, once they become parents, develop this massively sanctimonious “my life is better than yours” attitude, with the whole “kids giving your life purpose” crap being the primary manifestation of it. They heap pity on the rest of the population whose humdrum lives haven’t yet been blessed by the wonderful “gift” that has been bestowed upon them. They also don’t differentiate between those who plan to do so but haven't started a family yet, those who simply don’t want kids, and those like my wife and I who would like kids but are unable to do so. As far as these people are concerned we’re all part of a single, amorphous blob called “The Childless”, that is to be pitied for they know not the joy of procreation.

Well you know where you can shove your pity, because I, my wife, and all those other people who don’t have, or won’t have children don’t need it, we’re doing just fine without it thank you very much.

Plus, we're all down the pub getting langered. :pac:

What's even worse that the above stuff you mention, are the "pity me parents". The ones that shoot you the lines like "I can't do such and such any more, cos kids..." or "You don't know how lucky you are, cos no kids...", or "you don't know what it's like...", or...well you get the idea.

Like I'm supposed to feel sorry for them because they decided to knock out a sprog and they can't do all the crap they used to like doing.

Pfft.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭HappyAsLarE

Who cares... I couldn’t name any of my great grandparents. Lineage means F all.

Well you wouldn’t exist without it!

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Of course some people never meet anyone, you can't conquer bad luck

I know a middle aged woman, she's heading to late 40's now. She's always bemoaning the fact that she's single and "can't meet a nice fella".

I stupidly asked her what she was looking for in a man and she came back with a memorised list that took 10 minutes to recite. It was all he has to do this, has to be that, must have this, must look like that...

With that kind of pre-requisite set list, it's no wonder she's alone.

Well you wouldn’t exist without it!

I wouldn’t know if I didn’t exist so it wouldn’t matter!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Risky at 35? My ass.

Need to see pics first :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭BookNerd

I have a friend who is late 30s, single and has no children. She has been actively looking for a relationship for at least ten years. She's a nice girl but I don't know what she's like in a relationship.
    I've suggested a good few times to her to go the sperm donor route as she has a good job and her own house. But she feels that will be a barrier to meeting someone. And her ideal scenario is husband then baby. But time is ticking and ultimately she might end up sacrificing her chance to have a baby for what she perceives to be the ideal scenario.

I was a single parent so I suppose it's easier for me to say it as I've always had the "baggage". Never stopped me having relationships though......

I also know a few guys in their mid to late 30s who seem to be holding out for perfection. They don't have the issue of the biological clock though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭NoteAgent

Its funny how the type of people who should be having kids, (high IQ, hard working, high income, good manners and traits), are the last to get married and have children and yet the least ambitious, laziest, most intellectually challenged get married as soon as they're out of school and end up having a ton of kids clearly when they shouldn't be having any.

I know everyone should be allowed have children but its kind of sad when you see people who would be great role models end up with no kids.

• Advertisement

NoteAgent wrote: »
    Its funny how the type of people who should be having kids, (high IQ, hard working, high income, good manners and traits), are the last to get married and have children and yet the least ambitious, laziest, most intellectually challenged get married as soon as they're out of school and end up having a ton of kids clearly when they shouldn't be having any.

I know everyone should be allowed have children but its kind of sad when you see people who would be great role models end up with no kids.

Well you could argue it’s a pretty smart move not to have kids. Those less educated and from less well off backgrounds wouldn’t have the same opportunities and having kids, usually young, is the well worn path for those around them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

Some people cannot imagine not wanting children/a life without children, and they assume nobody could possibly feel any other way. And I get that to an extent, because there's logic to it. It's biology - surely everyone has that need...

But everyone doesn't. People might argue "well they do really - the purpose of life is procreation" but shur if we are going to use that tact, we should be starting families in our early teens, living in caves, picking or hunting food. We've evolved.

Just because having children was the done thing in the past, doesn't mean people wanted to do it or were suited to it. Children were more bodies for farm labour one time. And they had **** all rights, so there was far more abuse. The "natural" isn't always the ideal.

So while I totally get that people would be unable to understand why others don't want to have children, they should remember that it is a real possibility and that it's best not to force their views on others.

Most people seem to want to have children though, so those who do want them need not worry about the minority who don't.

NoteAgent wrote: »

That's because one group stops and considers the difficulties of such an endeavour and the other doesn't stop to think at all.

The problem is that western society is making the basics of living and extremely difficult thing to attain. Things like owning a modest home and having a child should be easy to do. They should be easy attainable aspirations for all (biological factors notwithstanding of course). But they are made difficult by increasing the costs of attaining such things and putting them out of reach. It costs a stupid amount of money to get a home and another stupid amount of money to have a child.

It's no wonder that fertility rates in western Europe are falling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭cannotlogin

How come some people feel very sorry for all the single women in their late 30s/40s that couldn't find a partner to have children with before time ran out?

Why is the opposite is never asked? Why do people never feel sorry for the men whose wife/partner cleared just settled for them just so they could have children? Panic buying. It's very common too.

Life is often often a trade off. Some people get lucky and meet the right person at the right time and it all falls into place. Other compromise, children with a partner who'll do, no children cos they didn't want them with the wrong person. Some don't want them all at. Some aren't lucky enough to be able.

What ever position, I hate all the judgment around it, especially those who consider the purpose of life is to procreate. Just let everyone do what's best for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

I hope he can smuggle me some local produce over when he's grown up a bit

Peruvian cabbage is noice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

Well you could argue it’s a pretty smart move not to have kids. Those less educated and from less well off backgrounds wouldn’t have the same opportunities and having kids, usually young, is the well worn path for those around them.

Maybe not so great for society though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Blaizes

Each to their own. No one should be feeling smug just because they have kids or making other people feel inadequate for not having them. I wouldn’t be without mine( now that I have them) but had it not happened I wouldn’t have known the difference if that makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,704 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Lasagne48 wrote: »
    How come some people feel very sorry for all the single women in their late 30s/40s that couldn't find a partner to have children with before time ran out?

Why is the opposite is never asked? Why do people never feel sorry for the men whose wife/partner cleared just settled for them just so they could have children? Panic buying. It's very common too.

Life is often often a trade off. Some people get lucky and meet the right person at the right time and it all falls into place. Other compromise, children with a partner who'll do, no children cos they didn't want them with the wrong person. Some don't want them all at. Some aren't lucky enough to be able.

What ever position, I hate all the judgment around it, especially those who consider the purpose of life is to procreate. Just let everyone do what's best for them.

The same reason nobody cares about homeless men, men are expendable.

I would say most wives don't actually find their husbands sexy, they realise that it's not realistic to settle down with the men who are sexy.
    Life is not an eighties film.

A man can be more than one thing at once. Sexy and worth settleing down with.

Some men are not just one dimensional characters.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,704 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Life is not an eighties film.

A man can be more than one thing at once. Sexy and worth settleing down with.

Some men are not just one dimensional characters.

A small minority, only a minority of men are sexually attractive to women.
    Lucky for us all that all men and all women do not think like a weird animalistic hive mind and what one person finds sexy is not what everyone of that sex does.

• Advertisement

A small minority, only a minority of men are sexually attractive to women.

Well only a small minority of women are attractive to me, a man. Most people in general are just wrote off!

Advertisement