Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dunkirk

• 15-07-2017 8:28pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,660 Mod ✭✭✭✭

With the upcoming film on this, the following is a youtube channel, Military History Visualised, which gives an informative take on the battle.

A German youtuber also has an interesting persepective of the Luftwaffe's performance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

John Kelleher the former Film Censor turned film critic gave the film a review that was - overall- very good and said he was going to see it again. He also mentioned in passing that his father was there, an MD.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

I'm sticking with the narrative that I grew up with i.e. Hitler held back in the belief that by not humiliating the British they would sue for peace. As for the small ships, I've read plenty of first hand stuff about those involved and there were plenty of volunteers, ferry operators etc. that helped in the evacuation. I'm looking forward to the movie now. :)

Del.Monte wrote: »
    I'm sticking with the narrative that I grew up with i.e. Hitler held back in the belief that by not humiliating the British they would sue for peace. As for the small ships, I've read plenty of first hand stuff about those involved and there were plenty of volunteers, ferry operators etc. that helped in the evacuation. I'm looking forward to the movie now. :)
    Aaah, a disciple of Mr. Pope, not wishing to be amomg the first to leave the old aside.....:)

Clearly the movie is one for the big screen

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Full Marx

Interested to see this film myself - I'm wary of the reviews from British sources as those in the British media have long been easily susceptible to and awed by masturbatory manifestations of British nationalism but in this case it sounds like the film is the real deal.

I listened to George Galloway's radio show earlier today and he could not say enough good things about the film. George is someone who I usually have a great deal of time for but one merely need mention Churchill and he becomes misty eyed.

I'm looking forward to seeing the film for myself because the event in and of itself is a great story of human endeavour.

As for the German actions during this episode it is worth remembering that not that long prior large sections of the British establishment and indeed the media too were quite sympathetic towards Nazism and Hitler, which would have coloured Hitler's response and expectations regarding peace negotiations.

Full Marx wrote: »
    As for the German actions during this episode it is worth remembering that not that long prior large sections of the British establishment and indeed the media too were quite sympathetic towards Nazism and Hitler, which would have coloured Hitler's response and expectations regarding peace negotiations.
    '
    Really? Why am I not surprised by this 'guff' when in the past you have recommended the writings of Tim Pat Coogan and dismissed Roy Foster? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 28 Comte de Mirabeau

takes the Brits to bluff and pretend an total and utter ass whipping wasn't.

'
    Really? Why am I not surprised by this 'guff' when in the past you have recommended the writings of Tim Pat Coogan and dismissed Roy Foster? :rolleyes:

It is a historical fact (which I have rarely seen seriously disputed) that a large section of the British establishment were sympathetic to Fascism and Hitler prior to WW2.

blackshirts1.jpg?w=450

It is to Mr Churchill's eternal credit that he was not among that cabal.

What Tim Pat Coogan or Roy Foster has to do with any of this I have no idea...

It is a historical fact (which I have rarely seen seriously disputed) that a large section of the British establishment were sympathetic to Fascism and Hitler prior to WW2.

including the Royals . . .

Indeed... It would be of interest to see their archives.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015/jul/18/royal-family-archives-queen-nazi-salute

the dodgy one's still into them . . .

Nazi%2BPrince%2BHarry.jpg

• Advertisement

the nasty one's still into them . . .

Nazi%2BPrince%2BHarry.jpg

I think you can put that one down to stupidity rather than anything more sinister. The actions of his ancestors however... That's a different story.

I think you can put that one down to stupidity rather than anything more sinister. The actions of his ancestors however... That's a different story.

Stupidy as well more than sinister. They never were the sharpest tools in the box, then again neither were/are many of Ireland's 'leaders'

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Interested to see this film myself - I'm wary of the reviews from British sources as those in the British media have long been easily susceptible to and awed by masturbatory manifestations of British nationalism but in this case it sounds like the film is the real deal.

New York Times and Rolling Stone are giving it glowing reviews.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/20/movies/dunkirk-review-christopher-nolan.html

http://www.rollingstone.com/movies/reviews/peter-travers-dunkirk-may-be-greatest-war-film-ever-w492668

InTheTrees wrote: »

It does sound quite excellent. They, unlike many films nowadays, don't seem to have gone mad with the CGI.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I'm sticking with the narrative that I grew up with i.e. Hitler held back in the belief that by not humiliating the British they would sue for peace. ...

Actually he ordered them destroyed. But the generals actually were expecting a counter attack and wanted to conserve their forces for a numbers reasons. Goring pushed for the Luftwaffe to the job. But they were over extended. The British had held back their fighters and released them to defend Dunkirk. Because otherwise they had no army to defend England. Luftwaffe wasn't expecting that.
    Fliegerkorps II reported in its war diary that it lost more aircraft on the 27th attacking the evacuation than it had lost in the previous ten days of the campaign
    takes the Brits to bluff and pretend an total and utter ass whipping wasn't.
    ....For every seven soldiers who escaped through Dunkirk, one man was left behind as a prisoner of war. ...

...by the end of the informal evacuations... total of 558,032 people, 368,491 being British troops were evacuated...

..The BEF lost 11,014 men killed or who died of their wounds, 14,074 soldiers wounded and 41,338 men missing or taken prisoner, a total of 66,426 men...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

It does sound quite excellent. They, unlike many films nowadays, don't seem to have gone mad with the CGI.

Agreed. It certainly sounds worth going to see. My other half says she'll come too based on that review saying that its not too bloody.

blackshirts1.jpg?w=450

It is to Mr Churchill's eternal credit that he was not among that cabal.

What Tim Pat Coogan or Roy Foster has to do with any of this I have no idea...
    A newspaper article from January 1934 is meaningless as a source for the views in 1940 of an entire class of people. It represented the then views of its owner, Harmsworth, who had withdrawn his support from the Blackshirts by the following year. Furthermore, the Mail and the Mirror cannot be considered as 'Establishment' newspapers.
    In the past you have recommended Coogan and dismissed Foster (as a 'revisionist') which shows where you come from on history sources.

beauf wrote: »
    Actually he ordered them destroyed. But the generals actually were expecting a counter attack and wanted to conserve their forces for a numbers reasons. Goring pushed for the Luftwaffe to the job. But they were over extended. The British had held back their fighters and released them to defend Dunkirk. Because otherwise they had no army to defend England. Luftwaffe wasn't expecting that.

Links please as there are plenty of historians and others who disagree and there's a serious lack of clarity regarding this for you to be so definitive.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,504 ✭✭✭tac foley

I bleeve you'll find that love of the nazis was limited to the person who was later titled Duke of Windsor.

I'm not entirely certain that the-then king and queen were actually nazi sympathisers, either overtly or covertly.

tac

A newspaper article from January 1934 is meaningless as a source for the views in 1940 of an entire class of people. It represented the then views of its owner, Harmsworth, who had withdrawn his support from the Blackshirts by the following year. Furthermore, the Mail and the Mirror cannot be considered as 'Establishment' newspapers.
    In the past you have recommended Coogan and dismissed Foster (as a 'revisionist') which shows where you come from on history sources.

So you don't accept that a large section - note I did not say the entirety - of the British establishment in the preceding war years were sympathetic to Fascism and nazism?

It's a shame you seem more interested in baiting me than in discussion...

• Advertisement

Indeed, as were a lot of the Irish 'new establishment' as well.

Indeed, as were a lot of the Irish 'new establishment' as well.
    Sadly this is true...

In fact the main square in the Garda College in Templemore is still named after the fascist O'Duffy!

So you don't accept that a large section - note I did not say the entirety - of the British establishment in the preceding war years were sympathetic to Fascism and nazism?

It's a shame you seem more interested in baiting me than in discussion...

The thread is about Dunkirk and 1940. For some weird reason you introduced 1934 and Facism, and have now by a commodius vicus arrived in Templemore. A small portion of the ‘Establishment’ was fascist in the 1930’s, but like Edward VIII and Unity Mitford they were shunned by the Establishment in the late '30's. It equally could be said thata larger portion was anti-Semitic and racist. What's that got to do with Dunkirk? If you want a debate on Facism in the early 1930’s, off you go and start a thread on that topic.

The thread is about Dunkirk and 1940. For some weird reason you introduced 1934 and Facism, and have now by a commodius vicus arrived in Templemore. A small portion of the ‘Establishment’ was fascist in the 1930’s, but like Edward VIII and Unity Mitford they were shunned by the Establishment in the late '30's. It equally could be said thata larger portion was anti-Semitic and racist. What's that got to do with Dunkirk? If you want a debate on Facism in the early 1930’s, off you go and start a thread on that topic.

Bit rich of you to say the above when you tried to start round ten of the revisionist debate on this thread! And you accuse me of going off topic!

If you don't want to take part in this aspect of the discussion then please don't feel obliged to reply to my posts. Shouldn't moderation be left to the mods?

But in the context I brought the topic up it is very much relevant to Dunkirk and Germanys foreign policy attitudes to Britain in the early war years.

Leaving the 'Brits who loved nazis' argument aside for a moment, I've noted, looking at the trailers, that there is an ENORMOUS and glaring error in this movie, one that sadly cannot be rectified.

Without exception, every single British soldier portrayed in this movie has way too much hair.

The military SBAS of the day was rigorously adhered to by both unit barbers and the part-timers in the unit who possessed the machinery to carry out this vital part of the maintenance of good order and military discipline.

My late and much-missed Uncle Micky, who fought for the opposition, had a SBAS EVERY week of his rather curtailed life, bless 'im, and often noted that British and Commonwealth soldiers looked just like German soldiers from the neck up.

tac

Its a hair raising movie....

Its a hair raising movie....

Dire, Sir, dire.

tac

Links please as there are plenty of historians and others who disagree and there's a serious lack of clarity regarding this for you to be so definitive.

In general if you want to allow an army to escape, or indeed negotiate, or even survive, you don't surround them and obliterate their only means to escape, ports, harbours, shipping, and then spend a week bombing, shelling and strafing them on a open beach.

If you factor in the heavy fighting around Dunkirk costly losses of German tanks and aircraft and then the massacres of captured BEF troops.

In general if you want to allow an army to escape, or indeed negotiate, or even survive, you don't surround them and obliterate their only means to escape, ports, harbours, shipping, and then spend a week bombing, shelling and strafing them on a open beach.

If you factor in the heavy fighting around Dunkirk costly losses of German tanks and aircraft and then the massacres of captured BEF troops.

What you seem to ignore is the stop-go machinations of the German forces that allowed the British to recover so much of their army - why did it happen? There is no definitive answer to that - at least as far as I know.

• Advertisement

What you seem to ignore is the stop-go machinations of the German forces that allowed the British to recover so much of their army - why did it happen? There is no definitive answer to that - at least as far as I know.

I didn't ignore it. The order to halt didn't originate from Hitler. Though he sanctioned it later. We have to look at in context of what was happening across the whole battlefield. Not just look at the ground forces in isolation in one area.

Even if we don't want to do that. H can't claim afterwards he wasn't really trying if he had heavy losses. It's not credible.

Advertisement