Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Going back to College? Check here for Mature/Disabled/Access/Grant & Fees information

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Tulip11

Hi Larianne,

Apologies....I was only putting it out there as a question....certainly not advocating the activity as I pointed out twice in my post.

Thanks
    Tulip11

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭meg3178

I have a query and Mods please feel free to move it if its in the wrong area.
    Ok, I would like to do a one year part time course in UL. Its part of the lifelong learning and I meet their educational requirements. However, I am working part time, have a full medical card and get F.I.S because I have two children. The fees are E2,500.00 for the year. Is there anywhere I can get help with funding? I don't qualify for BTEA as I'm not on the JSA/JSB and the course is less than two years. Can anyone please help?

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Marvel80

Hi Tuilip,
    Thanks for your reply.
    My issue isn't with the Social Welfare but rather the fact that I have to pay full fees because I have a degree, and the course I want to do is a degree course. (But a degree in an area where I can get a job).
    Re the signing off thing, I prefer to sleep easy at night! But I would never criticise anyone who chose differently.
    My gripe is the fact that I have to pay massive fees, which if I didn't already have a degree, would be paid.
    I just don't understand the logic, it's like a case of 'sure, you've had your chance at college', as if the economy isn't allowed to change in a 10 year period.

I am in the same situation did a Degree equivalent to Arts of no use for a good career path, worked for 8 years with the same company but no job satisfaction or progression unless you kissed as to certain people. I am now returning to education I can understand why im not getting free fees as Im choosing to go back again, however I have never gotten a grant when in college before, never claimed dole, have no medical card, not one single payment from the system I have been paying into for 13 years and that is what frustrates me nothing for the honest people who are upfront but plenty for those who lie and cheat the system, say they are lone parents but living with their boyfriend and then removing their relationship status from FB when they hear the Social Welfare are doing checks, or moving out their 50 inch tv when they are calling to the house they got provided by the council! And heres me with my dodgy 10 year old tv with sound going as I cant afford a new one. :mad:

My BF works hard and is helping me out to go back and a family member is paying my fees, I will have to work part-time in addition to the full time nursing course ill be doing. But I plan on leaving this country once im qualified and spend my hard earned bucks somewhere else!:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

Guys been on the phone to the education athority all morning great fun but some results.

Id you can't receaive the grant, there are a few... work around you can appeal it once. do so and photocopy it you can also appeal it a third time when that happens it, goes to a board at which point you go up to a board...

but just to let you know incase your having difficulty becasuse of bills in your name. etc and you are not a dependant mature...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 clayre

Hi,
    I was wondering if anyone would have some advice. I have a place on the access course at nuig, starting in the next couple weeks. Its 2 evenings a night and a saturday once a month, part of the course requires me going to lectures etc on the undergrad course which I am hoping to be doing the following year. Is there any assistance i can get to help with childcare and travel costs as i can't afford it as im on opf, i don't drive and the course finishes at 10 o clock at night ( the last bus home for me is 6:15 ) which would mean i would have to get a taxi home ... Hopefully someone has some much needed advice on where i can go. Today i felt like i was passed from pillar to post by the mature students office, student union, vec, fas ... i've looked into the beta and im not sure i would qualify due to the course bein an access one. Thanks Claire (i'm sorry if this is posted in the wrong area, i have only just joined! lol)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 woodsie72

great source of info..
    great stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 lowry505

hi,
    i want to drop out of college in nuim and go to waterford.but if i do this will i have to pay another set of fees for waterford?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

lowry505 wrote: »
    hi,
    i want to drop out of college in nuim and go to waterford.but if i do this will i have to pay another set of fees for waterford?

If you drop out now you may only have to pay the fees for the time spent in NUIM. The longer you leave it the more fees you'll have to pay so get in contact with the college straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭danbag1989

Hey guys, came across this forum on a google search, some great info!
    Im 22, working at the moment, but plan on repeating my Leaving next yr to get into medicine., which means id everything goes according to plan ill be starting at 24,

Am i mad to be doing this??

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭danbag1989

Hey guys, came across this forum on a google search, some great info!
    Im 22, working at the moment, but plan on repeating my Leaving next yr to get into medicine., which means id everything goes according to plan ill be starting at 24,

Am i mad to be doing this??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Tubsandtiles

Hey guys I think I'm in the right place :D. I started college two years ago and decided after the first week to the take the year out any maybe head back the next year, with plans and other life stuff I never returned. I'm twenty now and wondered how I apply for college again, do I apply to the CAO etc, I'm right in thinking I'm too young to be classed as a mature student, thanks T :)

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Moon Indigo

You have to be 23 to be classed as a mature student. You apply through the CAO system. Personally I think if your comfortable enough it is generally easier to do this online but try get used to the form first. Best of luck and if I can help at all let me know. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Phuckitt

Hi,

Just wondering, I have a CAO Number from a couple of years ago. Do I use this again or do I have to get a new one ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

Phuckitt wrote: »
    Hi,

Just wondering, I have a CAO Number from a couple of years ago. Do I use this again or do I have to get a new one ?

You will need a new one :) Your old one was only valid for the year you last applied.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭ITS_A_BADGER

ive applied thorough the cao as a mature student this year and i was wondering when is the correct time to apply for a grant and the local co council to pay the fees? is it if i get offered a place then i apply? or do i apply ahead in advance and if i get offered something then they look after you ? im sorry im not great at these sort of things :(

• Registered Users Posts: 40,764 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

ive applied thorough the cao as a mature student this year and i was wondering when is the correct time to apply for a grant and the local co council to pay the fees? is it if i get offered a place then i apply? or do i apply ahead in advance and if i get offered something then they look after you ? im sorry im not great at these sort of things :(

Apply ahead in advance - your county council won't be administering the grants - it will be done through Dublin VEC

http://www.studentfinance.ie/mp9540/new-grant-applications-for-2012-13/index.html

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Applications for the 2012 grant will be open in May via the online system on MangoSalsas link.

You can apply for the grant without knowing if you have a college place.

Free fees are sorted out by the college and the Dept of Education, you don't have to do anything to get those.

:)

EDIT: You will have to apply for the registration charge of €2250 but if you get the grant the charge will also be covered automatically.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭MungBean

What about the back to education allowance ? I take it you have to wait until you get a place to apply for that and you cant if you have applied for a grant ?

Should I be applying for the grant instead of waiting to get the allowance ?

MungBean wrote: »
    What about the back to education allowance ? I take it you have to wait until you get a place to apply for that and you cant if you have applied for a grant ?

Correct. If you get BTEA you cant get the Maintenance grant.

MungBean wrote: »
    Should I be applying for the grant instead of waiting to get the allowance ?

To be honest it depends on how much you would get with the grant. The maximum rate of grant is €5915 paid in installments over the duration of your course. To be eligible for this amount you need to be living more than 45 km from the college and have an income of less than €22,300 including a DSP payment for the last tax year.

This grant amount still works out as less than the BTEA payment which is the standard €188 per week for a single person irregardless of age.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭john 08

if someone gets the full grant, how much would that leave them with each week??

i ve applied as a mature student and i have nt been working for a while, because there is simply no work out dere.

also how much will BTEA pay off the course??

• Advertisement

john 08 wrote: »
    if someone gets the full grant, how much would that leave them with each week??

i ve applied as a mature student and i have nt been working for a while, because there is simply no work out dere.

also how much will BTEA pay off the course??

If you get the full grant - the top rate - you get 5900 - approximately 150/160 euro per week plus a fee grant to cover your 2250 student contribution fee

If you get the BTEA you get 188 per week plus 300 to covers. As well as that you can apply for a fee grant to cover the 2250 student contribution

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

If you get the full grant - the top rate - you get 5900 - approximately 150/160 euro per week plus a fee grant to cover your 2250 student contribution fee

If you get the BTEA you get 188 per week plus 300 to covers. As well as that you can apply for a fee grant to cover the 2250 student contribution

2nd option looks a lot better. how do i apply for BTEA & free grant ??

sry bout silly questions, but i am not aware of how it all works.

john 08 wrote: »
    2nd option looks a lot better. how do i apply for BTEA & free grant ??

sry bout silly questions, but i am not aware of how it all works.

You have to be receiving social welfare such as job seekers benefit to be eligible - drop into the social welfare office and ask them

Terry Pratchet

no worries. thanks for the help mango !!

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Pat D. Almighty

I'm applying for the T.A.P. this year and it says I need to referees. I haven't been in full time education in 10 years, and it's unlikely that my former school teachers would be able to give me a relevant reference. Would my local TD suffice or even a family member/former boss?

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭DJW11

Im in same situation, thanks for the input mango salsa, but what is the 300 for? is it standard when you get btea?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

The €300 is supposed to be for book fees.

I'm applying for the T.A.P. this year and it says I need to referees. I haven't been in full time education in 10 years, and it's unlikely that my former school teachers would be able to give me a relevant reference. Would my local TD suffice or even a family member/former boss?

A reference needs to be someone who knows you in a way that's relevant to what you are applying for in this case an education or work referee. Its not appropriate to get a reference from a family member. As for a TD it depends how well they know you and your abilitiy to do the course. You could ring the MS officer in Trinity, Clodagh Byrne, (01) 896 1386 and get some guidance on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Bit of an odd question possibly, does your living circumstance affect your grant application, as in legally I am down as living with my parents, I am 26 and half a 2.5 year old daughter, for the last couple of months I have been spending more and more time with her mother in their house.

Would it be better for my grant application if I was to move in with my girlfriend and daughter again or will it not matter that much? I'm afraid that if they think I just live at home with mammy and daddy - I pay rent/bills and child payments for my daughter!- that I will not be approved for the grant?

• Advertisement

kryogen wrote: »
    Bit of an odd question possibly, does your living circumstance affect your grant application, as in legally I am down as living with my parents, I am 26 and half a 2.5 year old daughter, for the last couple of months I have been spending more and more time with her mother in their house.

Would it be better for my grant application if I was to move in with my girlfriend and daughter again or will it not matter that much? I'm afraid that if they think I just live at home with mammy and daddy - I pay rent/bills and child payments for my daughter!- that I will not be approved for the grant?

Hi OP,

Yes your living situation will affect a grant application as irregardless of your age if you live with parents their income will be taken into account in assessing your eligibility.

You need to look at what your address was on the 1st of October of the year prior to application. So if you are applying for a grant in 2012 then you will be assessed from the address you were living at on 1st Oct 2011.

Also, as far as I know, if your parents income is included in your firts application it will continue to be included for the following years of your course. Crazy rule but its there. You can get more info on this from the Dept of Ed student support unit. Tel: 057 9325317.

Advertisement