Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Replacement of a roof of a 1939 house

• 17-10-2019 8:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Hi all, we're thinking of purchasing a detached two story house that was built in 1939 and has been lived in until recently. The house is too small for our family of six at 1200 sq feet and would need an extension of approx 80 sqm. Standing looking at the back of the house it spans 10 mts wide so if we extended out by 4mts and 10mts across (double height) it would obviously mean we would need to replace the whole roof to make it uniform. The perimeter of the roof would then be approx. 36mts (10mts +8mts +10mts +8mts). Would anyone have any clue how much this would cost? Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,173 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

600 sq feet is c 56 sq m
    so existing gable end is 5.6 m
    so you need a decent valley between the existing and the new 10 by 4
    I don't follow your 36 math
    Is your question about replacing the existing roof?

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 gummiebear

Sorry yes, we were wondering if taking off the whole roof and putting on a brand new one would be best (one that would have a perimeter measuring 36mts or 800 smts in area) would be an outrageous cost. Or, if keeping the existing one (if good enough) and having a valley is a better, cheaper option.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,173 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

gummiebear wrote: »
    Sorry yes, we were wondering if taking off the whole roof and putting on a brand new one would be best (one that would have a perimeter measuring 36mts or 800 smts in area) would be an outrageous cost. Or, if keeping the existing one (if good enough) and having a valley is a better, cheaper option.

Whats the fascination with perimeter? Life is hard enough here..:)

You may not get PP for a whole new roof, as it would be higher than existing.
    A proper valley, if done properly, will work, it needs to be wide enough to walk on and have a decent slope from the middle, something which is often beyond you average chippy

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Advertisement