Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New windows and it's insulating ability

• 13-10-2019 4:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭

Hi I've a older house with no insulation. Exisiting windows are old Double glazed pvc. Rooms really heat up with sunny day in winter. They are to warm . And in a winter's night the rooms don't really keep their heat. So I'm wondering will I benefit from new aluclad windows?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Specifically alu clad? Or any window that helps retain the heat better than what you have?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,282 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

allycavs wrote: »
    Hi I've a older house with no insulation. Exisiting windows are old Double glazed pvc. Rooms really heat up with sunny day in winter. They are to warm . And in a winter's night the rooms don't really keep their heat. So I'm wondering will I benefit from new aluclad windows?

make sure your current windows close and seal properly, seriously i had this issue with my windows got the number of aguy he went round changed seals and hinges on a few windows, made a huge difference.

did get a new aluclad triple glazed patio door but only as the original one never sealed properly.

when i was reading up the insulaton difference between old and new windows isnt that big (even if triple glazed) as long as the old units aren't blown and seal correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭allycavs

BryanF wrote: »
    Specifically alu clad? Or any window that helps retain the heat better than what you have?

Any Windows that helps retain heat

make sure your current windows close and seal properly, seriously i had this issue with my windows got the number of aguy he went round changed seals and hinges on a few windows, made a huge difference.

did get an aluclad patio door but only as the original one never sealed properly.

when i was reading up the insulaton difference between old and new windows isnt that big (even if triple glazed) as long as the old units aren't blown and the seal correctly.

That's interesting between old and new windows. I was hoping there a be a big difference

• Registered Users Posts: 14,282 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

That's interesting between old and new windows. I was hoping there a be a big difference

first link i came across
    https://www.thegreenage.co.uk/replace-double-glazing/

https://www.askaboutmoney.com/threads/double-glazing-v-triple-glazing.185785/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

So I'm wondering will I benefit from new aluclad windows?

If the new window specs are better than what you already have, then of course you will "benefit".
    However, by how much and will you notice the "benefit" is entirely a different question which cannot be accurately answered here with the information at hand. For example, suppose your current windows are responsible for 75% of your heat loss in the room and the new windows halved this heat loss then you would absolutely notice the improvement. On the other hand, if your current windows represented only 10% of your heat loss then you probably wouldn't notice the improvement.

Hi Mick the windows I am replacing would take up at least 60-70% of the external wall space. In one room it possibly even more as window is very large

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Q&A

An airtightness/heat loss survey would probably give you the most comprehensive answer. Before I insulated my walls I thought it was the best way of assessing what measures should be prioritised - or more to the point would I just be throwing money away.

Based on my experience - single brick walls on a 1950s house - wall insulation was the the main solution identified . Servicing the windows and improving floor insulation were mentioned as secondary factors but that they should only be tackled once the walls were done.

Eight months after the insulation and according to my nest my heating had been on for about half as long as the same period last year. The walls are good but those numbers are skewed by how cold February and March were in 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭denismc

Like the previous poster said, get an energy survey done, it will give you a good idea of where your heat is being lost.
    I had one done a few years ago and it showed that my heat loss was due to a lack of airtightness rather than poor insulation as I had assumed.

Advertisement