Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Is it Compulsory for Gardai to be present at the scene of a suicide?

• 10-05-2019 10:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭

I lost a 2nd cousin of mine to suicide two months ago. It was deepening saddening for her family and a very traumatic time. . Her partner and her were split at the time before the death but still remained in the same household although her partner planning on moving out a week later. But listen I am not one to jump to conclusions but the thing that bugged me the most was when her partner rang the emergency services the Gardai never came so I guess Is this normal? Is it not compulsory for Gardai to be present at the scene of a suicide? Also her clothes were placed in a bag with her phone and belongings and these never reappeared again. Gardai didn't take the clothes nor did they examine the scene. Do any of you guys have any knowledge in regards to this and is it strange?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭frankythefish

Paddy223 wrote: »
    I lost a 2nd cousin of mine to suicide two months ago. It was deepening saddening for her family and a very traumatic time. . Her partner and her were split at the time before the death but still remained in the same household although her partner planning on moving out a week later. But listen I am not one to jump to conclusions but the thing that bugged me the most was when her partner rang the emergency services the Gardai never came so I guess Is this normal? Is it not compulsory for Gardai to be present at the scene of a suicide? Also her clothes were placed in a bag with her phone and belongings and these never reappeared again. Gardai didn't take the clothes nor did they examine the scene. Do any of you guys have any knowledge in regards to this and is it strange?

V strange that. My dad died by suicide and guards attended. I thought it was the norm. They would surely have to be content there was no foul play. I believe guards attended the inquest too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭frankythefish

Sorry to hear of your loss btw

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 203 ✭✭SouthDublin6w

Yes Garda are usually first responders in a suicide. Death in suspicious circumstances till informed otherwise of tragedy.

Sorry for your loss, try not over think it.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Paddy223

Thanks for the kind messages. I just found the whole thing very strange how the Gardai had no input. Would the emergency service responder not notify them?

Thanks for the kind messages. I just found the whole thing very strange how the Gardai had no input. Would the emergency service responder not notify them?

As soon as a call is made for a first responder and suicide is mentioned police are radioed straight away. If suspected suicide it’s a crime scene until it’s verified no foul play.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Paddy223

As soon as a call is made for a first responder and suicide is mentioned police are radioed straight away. If suspected suicide it’s a crime scene until it’s verified no foul play.

So I guess it's a possibility that the person who rang the emergency services could of said it was a suspected heart attack or otherwise?

So I guess it's a possibility that the person who rang the emergency services could of said it was a suspected heart attack or otherwise?

They could of but the phone call will be read into record In the coroners court.

Advertisement