Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Husky mauls child

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

Would it then be worthwhile compiling some informative resources to push towards people when they start spouting ignorant and outright incorrect things about dogs?

Although, what really irks me is seeing people trying to inform people only to be met with being called "animal rights hippies" and the like. I think I even read something in the 'After Hours' forum that amounted to "in before someone an animal rights hippy comes to claim they let their pitbull breast feed their baby" which seemed to get quite a few "likes". They're sticking ignorant, negative labels on the dogs and then anyone who tries to rationally and reasonably defend them! :(

but its also after hours so the trolling is bound to be a lot higher than on here.

Here is another Husky story from America.

http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2012/04/05/dog-expert-testifies-during-hearing-in-mckeesport-husky-case/

As sad as this is, at least they are properly investigating it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,822 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

but its also after hours so the trolling is bound to be a lot higher than on here.

Yes & their views do reflect those of a lot of people. API is here to allow the viewpoint of those interested in the subject but After Hours reflects a more general opinion. Lots of people couldn't give a damn about animal welfare.

The worrying thing is when the extreme opinions, boosted by articles in papers like the Sun, start screaming for a ban on these "devil dogs".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭WolfgangWeisen

Ah but where to we draw the line between trolling - the intent to wind people up - and genuine ignorance? I would call the article in the Sun trolling, on the face of it anyway, as it is bound to wind anyone with the slightest clue as to how dogs behave up. However, in reality it's idiocy and ignorance ... I wish it was just mere baiting!

I'm sure you're right though, the level of intentional baiting will be a lot higher on a general forum than one that is specific, however the level of stupidity and sheer ignorance will be significantly higher also. Disproportionately so even.
    Discodog wrote: »
    Lots of people couldn't give a damn about animal welfare.

The worrying thing is when the extreme opinions, boosted by articles in papers like the Sun, start screaming for a ban on these "devil dogs".

I agree. I can't recall how the "restricted breeds" list came about, was it in reaction to some particular incident or ... ? I ask because I'm questioning what the likelihood is that we'll soon see the legislators merely ignorantly banning breeds here as opposed to tackling the issue intelligently.

It really, really does not help that we've people in our animal protection services and wardens who have absolutely no qualifications or in some cases clue as to what they're talking about. These are the people being interviewed and people ignorantly parrot what they believe to be an 'informed' opinion, when in reality their position really needs an informed opinion but certainly isn't occupied by one!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

The age of the dog is baffling to me. I have never heard of an "attack" by a six month old pup. It makes no sense & I wonder if it was a game that got out of hand. I also wonder how much we can rely on interview evidence. People can be reluctant to admit to anything that shows them in a bad light.

Somebody somewhere reported that the dog was given to the child for Christmas, if you make the assumption that this is actually true, it still doesn't say the dog was purchased as a pup or what Christmas it was. With that said 6 months old is a pretty delicate stage in doggie development at the best of times.
    It just appears to be fighting a losing battle. For every one person who reads up on dogs and dog behaviour and acknowledges that saying that a certain breed is naturally prone to aggression is akin to saying black Americans are naturally predisposed to be criminals, there appears to be thousands who are happy to judge a breed as "dangerous" and undeserving of homes, affection and good lives simply because of what they've read in the publications of such aforementioned "news" outlets.

A psychology student once told me that some day something you have told someone will suddenly just click and will make sense as to how it applies to them personally. It may be next week or it may be next decade. Whether it will make an impact or not depends entirely on how that information was put across at the time. Hopefully it will be triggered by someone else's misfortune rather than 'that persons' own.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

Any further info on this story?

From what I've read/heard, a toddler was on it's own in the back garden with a "malamute husky devil dog" that was bought a few months ago as a Christmas present for the kids and was in considerable pain from an ear infection, I'm guessing there was zero training, socializing or exercise done with this dog and yet left with this poor defenceless child unattended and unsupervised at 8o'clock at night...
    I would have been calling social services before the pound TBH...

The next possibility of an update is at 10.45am Tues Clare FM when the warden does a weekly spot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Who gives a child a dog for Christmas? Silly silly people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭BunShopVoyeur

It's never the animals fault in this forum is it...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Yes, you are correct, it's never the animals fault in this forum or anywhere else for that matter, the key part being that it's an animal.

Thank you for such a factual, intelligent and insightful post, it's a pity there aren't more people like you in the world.

• Advertisement

If a 2 year old does something wrong do you blame the child or the parents ? There was a time when animals were called into Court to defend themselves - staying silent was a sign of guilt :rolleyes:. Some people have moved on since then but there will always be a few who still believe that animals have some inbuilt intelligence to understand human rights & wrongs.

If a dog does something wrong & you punish it later, it has no idea of why it is being punished - that is how dog memory works.

This forum understandably attracts a majority who have some basic understanding of animal intelligence & behaviour so it is hardly surprising if people tend to see things from the animal's point of view.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭BunShopVoyeur

Yes, you are correct, it's never the animals fault in this forum or anywhere else for that matter, the key part being that it's an animal.

Thank you for such a factual, intelligent and insightful post, it's a pity there aren't more people like you in the world.

Thank you for your sarcastic and "witty" response.

Thank you for your sarcastic and "witty" response.

Your welcome, the pleasure was all mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Animals don't have reasoning between right and wrong. Animals react negatively if they think they are in danger - or in pain - or if their routine has been turned upside down and they're confused and feel threatened. They're not capable of understanding human emotions so why or how can you blame them?

Very rarely do you encounter a dog that just turns and attacks for no reason and most of the regular contributors on this forum know this. It's just a pity that most people that go out and get a dog as a pet don't do a bit of research into what taking care of an animal actually involves.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Very rarely do you encounter a dog that just turns and attacks for no reason and most of the regular contributors on this forum know this.

There is ALWAYS a reason.

ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS.

A dog NEVER just wakes up one morning and decides it's gong to have a go at someone. There is ALWAYS a reason.

The reason may be obscure, difficult to understand and near-impossible to accept ("but I trusted it!"), but there is ALWAYS a reason. For some dogs, the reason to bite doesn't need to be as clear cut and obvious as for other dogs, but that's why all dog bites should be investigated properly.

The day people understand that there is ALWAYS a reason for a dog bite, that's the day we make the first step towards properly reducing dog bite incidence.

Not wanting to take the thread of topic but this is relevant to some degree, and very good timing! Not to sure how many people here (in Ireland) will see it though as it's on BBC3

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p00q6tdc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭WolfgangWeisen

They're not capable of understanding human emotions so why or how can you blame them?

Well, actually, studies done on the bond between humans and dogs have shown that it's dogs ability to read emotions from human's faces that separate them as "man's best friend" from any other animals. They might not have it 100% spot on, but they've been measured to recognise and understand our emotions more so than any other animals, our closest genetic cousins included.

It was covered in a BBC horizons episode and made for fascinating viewing.
    Not wanting to take the thread of topic but this is relevant to some degree, and very good timing! Not to sure how many people here (in Ireland) will see it though as it's on BBC3

Thanks for that, sky+ set :)

This series is geared towards young people. It's good to educate but it is also a pity that the young make up a lot of the problem owners.
    Well, actually, studies done on the bond between humans and dogs have shown that it's dogs ability to read emotions from human's faces that separate them as "man's best friend" from any other animals. They might not have it 100% spot on, but they've been measured to recognise and understand our emotions more so than any other animals, our closest genetic cousins included.

That's the strange part in that dogs have evolved to understand us but we still fail to understand them. They have even evolved a separate "language" that they use when communicating with us.

If a little time was spent educating kids in schools it would make a huge difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

Thanks for that, sky+ set :)

I can't find BBC3 on my sky+, do you know what number the channel is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭paultf

I can't find BBC3 on my sky+, do you know what number the channel is?

BBC3 is on Sky channel 229

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Did anybody listen to the warden's slot on clare FM this morning? I'm afraid I was out in the van, so could only pick up the national and our local stations.

ISDW wrote: »
    Did anybody listen to the warden's slot on clare FM this morning? I'm afraid I was out in the van, so could only pick up the national and our local stations.

I have a full recording of it & I will post it here. You are not going to be happy with the comments - the level of ignorance from the ISPCA is staggering :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

I have a full recording of it & I will post it here. You are not going to be happy with the comments - the level of ignorance from the ISPCA is staggering :mad:

Unfortunately that cannot be posted or linked to here, with this new 'copyright' stuff it would be deemed a breach (I checked with the Community Managers on Boards first).

Hopefully I can post a link to a podcast if it becomes available. In the meantime please PM me if you would like to know more.

PS I will contact ISDW provided you promise to take a Valium first !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Kash

For any night owls, there is a repeat of the Morning show at midnight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

You may only link to an official podcast on the Clare FM site, you cannot link to or promote a file / copy you have yourself as that would be a breach of copyright.

OK so this is what Mr Coote said during the interview. I have avoided direct quotes, as requested, & I have used the language as used in the interview to convey a feel for how things were worded.

Bear in mind that Mr Coote is employed by the ISPCA.

Here is a summary of what Mr Coote said.

He said that it was something that he had been advocating for a long time but didn't clarify what that was. He said that it was a dangerous dog. He said that the dog pulled the child out of the back door. How can he say this when he wasn't there ? He said that there was no doubt the dog would of killed the child. He said that the potential is there with those type, he then added any type, of large dog that is not exercised or kept in the right facilities - he meant a big place. He said that if you're getting an extremely large dog that comes under the dangerous breed & you're going to have it around children - have it muzzled.

He said that it was a Malamute & a bit like these Husky dogs that you see. He said that this particular breed are used to bring down Brown Bears in Canada & that's what they are bred for. He said that they get frustrated when they can't burn energy. He said that it was just jealous of the child. How can he know this ? He said that the dog showed no violence to him at all.

He said that if anyone sees any dog showing any violent tendencies at all to take action & ring the Pound. He said that he had a couple of people with similar dogs who handed them in because their property is too small or they have young children. He said that he can find the proper facilities once they are not dangerous. His Pound killed 747 dogs in 2010 so what are the chances of rehoming ?.

He said that the dog was showing terrible violent tendencies at the time. Again he wasn't there so how does he know ?. He said that he & his wife had owned a Yorkshire Terrier for years. But when his first grandchild was born the dog got jealous of the baby & he had to get rid of his own dog. He said that to a dog a young child is like a threat - like another pup coming in. He said that of course it will get jealous as they have the same natures as ourselves

My Coote did admit there were some people that owned big dogs without any problem.

He also said he was at the Greyhound track supporting a friend that had a dog running - he forgot to mention that his Pound took in 202 Greyhounds in 2010 & killed all of them !

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭_LilyRose_

He said that it was something that he had been advocating for a long time but didn't clarify what that was. He said that it was a dangerous dog. He said that the dog pulled the child out of the back door. How can he say this when he wasn't there ? He said that there was no doubt the dog would of killed the child. He said that the potential is there with those type, he then added any type, of large dog that is not exercised or kept in the right facilities - he meant a big place. He said that if you're getting an extremely large dog that comes under the dangerous breed & you're going to have it around children - have it muzzled.

He said that it was a Malamute & a bit like these Husky dogs that you see. He said that this particular breed are used to bring down Brown Bears in Canada & that's what they are bred for. He said that they get frustrated when they can't burn energy. He said that it was just jealous of the child. How can he know this ? He said that the dog showed no violence to him at all.

http://www.environ.ie/en/LocalGovernment/DogControl/

What is he on about? Malamutes or Siberian Huskies aren't even named in the (for want of an actual name) "restricted breed list" for Ireland.

I accept that he mightn't have been referring to the breed of dog in question when he said "dangerous", and that he did say "a large dog that comes under the dangerous breed", but why even say these things in a conversation about this Malamute? His comments only contribute to the sensationalism surrounding this type of thing that ultimately reflect badly on Huskies etc.

Or am I wrong in saying that Siberian Huskies etc don't need to be muzzled?

I am really pleased that I recorded it (for my personal use only :D) because I have had to keep referring to it as it is so unbelievable. I wonder how many innocent dogs will be disposed of because their owners have been told, by the ISPCA, that their dogs are potentially dangerous. By speaking of his own dog he has given everyone carte blanche to just get rid of their dogs when a child comes on the scene.

We were told that when the CEO of the ISPCA referred to "worthless mongrels" that it was a misunderstanding. We have had no explanation as to why the ISPCA Calre Pound couldn't manage to rehome one Greyhound & now we have this. How can anyone have faith in the ISPCA ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭calfmuscle

Could you please pm me the recording if you get a chance?

Thanks in advance

Advertisement