Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Budget 2019

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭ShaneC93

thomas 123 wrote: »
    Anyone able to do the before and after on a salary of 30K?

A single earner on €30K will be ~€40-45 better off while a single earner on €70K will be ~€275-€290 better off. (No kids, no medical card, no property)

is the 2% on winnings though? surly the local paddy power doesn't just pay 1% now 2% on profits?

It's currently 1% on the stake.
    A €10 bet should cost €10.10...the bookmaker takes 10 off the customer and pays the 1% betting tax on their behalf.

Paddy Power profits taxation is nothing to do with betting tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,285 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Gambling is different because of repeat money that alcohol, clothes etc don't have.
    e.g., I bring €100 into the bookies on a Saturday morning and could quite reasonably get €1000+ worth of bets out of it without ever being significantly 'up'.
    So my effective tax rate on the original €100 is far above 1% as I'll be paying those repeat 1%s all day.
    The savage increases on t/o tax suggested here (10%, 23%) etc basically kill it stone dead. Hell the bookies couldn't even possibly make money on those terms.

So with respect it's one of those where you actually have to grasp the economics of the industry before throwing tax rates about.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

seamus wrote: »
    For the average household, it's considerably more than the €5 a week for dole recipients.

you've got that wrong definitely

I worked it out yesterday - you'd need a salary of about 65k to match the increases in the dole

That is a kick in the teeth for the vast majority of people on this island.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭thomas 123

Augeo wrote: »
    It's currently 1% on the stake.
    A €10 bet should cost €10.10...the bookmaker takes 10 off the customer and pays the 1% betting tax on their behalf.

Paddy Power profits taxation is nothing to do with betting tax.

Thanks for the clarification! It wont affect me at all but I was just curious were the 1% was applied.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the clarification! It wont affect me at all but I was just curious were the 1% was applied.

No problem.
    It's a weird one. Most punters don't know about it..... not to mind anyone else :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

Pete_Cavan wrote: »
    You mean like increasing tax on carbon creating fuel thereby making less polluting cars or alternative fuel types more attractive?

That's great and all but I don't have 20 odd thousand to switch to one of those cars. And i doubt I am alone in that.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,636 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

My household is up 450 quid a year or 38 quid a month..... whooop deee f*cking dooooo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

Bring on the next election.

463348.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 24,143 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Why are they bandying around the €5 a week figure. In reality, most on welfare have dependents, so thus there'll be a combination of:

€5 for the main claimant (198 -> 203)
    €3.30 for a spouse / partner (131.4 -> 134.7)
    €2.20 for each child under 12 (31.8 -> 34)
    and €5.20 for each child over 12 (31.8 - 37)

For the "average" family of Mother, Father and two kids, that works out to €15.70 pw increase
    A single parent with two kids works out to a 12.40 p/w increase

Adding the Christmas bonus (of a full weeks payments at €408.70) the nuclear family on welfare is seeing an increase of €23.48 p/w (or €1,221.10 per annum) after Budget 2019 while the single parent family with two kids on welfare (with a bonus payment of €274) is actually seeing an increase of €17.66.

This isn't a budget for the "squeezed middle", it's a budget for welfare recipients.

A single income family of the same nuclear makeup now needs an after-tax salary of €21,661.10 to match their unemployment benefits. Add in HAP/Social Housing and ancilliaries (back to school allowance etc) and it's making a mockery of anyone trying to raise a family on less than €50k per annum.

EDIT: Corrected the increase to account for chasm's correct RE dependent benefit increase being €3.30 rather than €5

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭van_beano

So .96cent per week better off. Woohoo Thomas, the drinks are on you!

That is a disgrace. They put up Welfare rates and give a little back to the higher paid works but completely shaft the lower paid workers!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

44 euro a year better off according to kbc calculator !

• Registered Users Posts: 27,776 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Sleepy wrote: »
    Why are they bandying around the €5 a week figure. In reality, most on welfare have dependents, so thus there'll be a combination of:

€5 for a spouse / partner (131.4 -> 136.4)

For the "average" family of Mother, Father and two kids, that works out to €17.40 pw increase

Adding the Christmas bonus (of a full weeks payments at €410.40) the nuclear family on welfare is seeing an increase of €25.29 p/w after Budget 2019 while the single parent family with two kids on welfare (with a bonus payment of €274) is actually seeing an increase of €17.66.

This isn't a budget for the "squeezed middle", it's a budget for welfare recipients.

There should be no situation where someone recieving welfare should recieve a better outcome from a budget than anyone working.

It just creates a feeling of anger in those working.

If the likes of Thomas on €30k is €1 a week better off how can you justify giving someone on Welfare €5 a week? Thomas is up 5/6 days a week working 8+ hours a day and will have incedential costs to being employed (travel etc), he contributes €4,600 in tax in 2018 and has a net wage of €25,400. €1 is a f**king insult.

It is mind boggling to say the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,838 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Is the medical card charges for prescriptions coming down?

For the "average" family of Mother, Father and two kids, that works out to €17.40 pw increase

Adding the Christmas bonus (of a full weeks payments at €410.40) the nuclear family on welfare is seeing an increase of €25.29 p/w after Budget 2019 while the single parent family with two kids on welfare (with a bonus payment of €274) is actually seeing an increase of €17.66.

A single income family of the same nuclear makeup now needs an after-tax salary of €21,751.20 to match their unemployment benefits. Add in HAP/Social Housing and ancilliaries (back to school allowance etc) and it's making a mockery of anyone trying to raise a family on less than €50k per annum.

That's a fantastic post, Sleepy. It should be e-Mailed to every TD to outline the unfairness in this budget.

There is no way the likes of AAA, PBP, Solidarity, Sinn Fein can be in any way critical of this budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,991 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Amirani wrote: »
    Lots of people want it. Complete embarrassment that our country performs so badly in environmental metrics. If you give a damn about our environment and future generations, then you'll be supportive of measures that reduce the damage we're doing to it.

With age people so down on future generations ?

Will they not have the intellect, the technology, the knowledge to adjust to a changing climate?

Why do we have to do it for them?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,550 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

[/b]

Will they not have the intellect, the technology, the knowledge to adjust to a changing climate?

Probably because they won't be able to go back in time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

van_beano wrote: »
    That's a fantastic post, Sleepy. It should be e-Mailed to every TD to outline the unfairness in this budget.

There is no way the likes of AAA, PBP, Solidarity, Sinn Fein can be in any way critical of this budget.

If you believe that you must still believe in Santa Claus. Wait a little while until those parties`spokespeople make their speeches in the Dail and they will be making plenty of attacks on the Govt.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

[/b]

Which smacks of an "I`m all right Jack, **** everyone else" attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

A single income family of the same nuclear makeup now needs an after-tax salary of €21,751.20 to match their unemployment benefits. Add in HAP/Social Housing and ancilliaries (back to school allowance etc) and it's making a mockery of anyone trying to raise a family on less than €50k per annum.

There really isn't anyone for the squeezed middle to vote for (and great post)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

I think some people have taken exception to my tweet, it's a pity i'm only on a short break while my truck is being loaded, might get time to reply tonight.

https://twitter.com/CorkTruckDriver/status/1049640011778465792

If you believe that you must still believe in Santa Claus. Wait a little while until those parties`spokespeople make their speeches in the Dail and they will be making plenty of attacks on the Govt.

Oh I know they'll be criticising it and not on behalf of the those that get up in the morning and go out to work. Why oh why can't we have someone in Government who can stand up for the regular worker out there and call this budget for what it is - a Social Welfare budget.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

https://twitter.com/paulmurphy_TD/status/1049649939159101440

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭chasm

Great post, which i totally agree with, but the spouse/partner weekly increase is €3.30 not €5 though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

A budget for welfare recipients? Good job we've Fine Gael in so...wait, who's budget is this?

Is the idea the AAA, PBP, Solidarity aren't happy with the government making a budget for welfare recipients?
    It gets confusing. You would think the AAA, PBP, Solidarity and friends didn't only want free houses and more dole money.
    Then we've very low unemployment, so it kinda pales in comparison to the spend on the housing crisis.

I would wager FG are throwing 'the lefties' a bone so they can keep looking after their own as a main course.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,844 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Amirani wrote: »

People on social welfare could always work, just an idea. Dont mind the old age getting the rise

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Oh I know they'll be criticising it and not on behalf of the those that get up in the morning and go out to work. Why oh why can't we have someone in Government who can stand up for the regular worker out there and call this budget for what it is - a Social Welfare budget.

Why indeed. Let's keep voting Fine Gael until that happens...
    People on social welfare could always work, just an idea. Dont mind the old age getting the rise

Those people don't get welfare.
    I love the way bad government policy gets put on members of the public with no control over such things. If I give you fifty quid tax payer money is it your fault or mine?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Why indeed. Let's keep voting Fine Gael until that happens...

For who???

• Registered Users Posts: 10,146 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Can't verify the figures, but someone worked it out
    https://twitter.com/skearon/status/1049668190828158976

Edit: Just noticed that guys biography, former government special adviser and FF member, so presumably has a bit of weight behind it, despite a whiff of scandal in his past.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,143 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

chasm wrote: »
    Great post, which i totally agree with, but the spouse/partner weekly increase is €3.30 not €5 though.
    Thanks for the input, I've edited the post accordingly.

Advertisement