Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Active shooter Maryland

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

suspects suspected twitter profile https://twitter.com/EricHartleyFrnd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭NinetyTwoTeam

suspects suspected twitter profile https://twitter.com/EricHartleyFrnd

that's his acct, tho the username in the url above is not his name. he's half white half Hispanic with the surname Ramos.

apparently the Capital was targeted because they ran a story about how this guy contacted a woman he went to high school with on Facebook. She did not remember him, but he told her she was the only person in school who was nice to him. After revealing some issues he had, she suggested he get counseling. He then stalked her and harassed her, leading to a court case, and the paper reported on the case.

so no religious or political reasons, just a mentally ill incel-type.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

CNN have confirmed the shooter is called Jarrod W Ramos, I'll give you a few tweets from Jake Tapper's account including one of his retweets:
    https://twitter.com/jaketapper/status/1012494171607838720
    https://twitter.com/jaketapper/status/1012497411758018561
    https://twitter.com/jemillerwbal/status/1012497327452499968

Here's the shooter's twitter which has his intro as:

"Dear reader: I created this page to defend myself. Now I'm suing the **** out of half of AA County and making corpses of corrupt careers and corporate entities."
    https://twitter.com/EricHartleyFrnd/status/689262288000413701
    https://twitter.com/EricHartleyFrnd/status/690309688668372997
    And disturbingly wrote just hours before the shooting:
    https://twitter.com/EricHartleyFrnd/status/1012404716272324611

Although one wonders how somebody of that mental state in any civilized society is allowed to buy a gun in the first place. Welcome to NRA's America.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Jim Bob Scratcher

CNN have confirmed the shooter is called Jarrod W Ramos, I'll give you a few tweets from Jake Tapper's account including one of his retweets:
    https://twitter.com/jaketapper/status/1012494171607838720
    https://twitter.com/jaketapper/status/1012497411758018561
    https://twitter.com/jemillerwbal/status/1012497327452499968

Confirmed folks, it's a white man

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Although one wonders how somebody of that mental state in any civilized society is allowed to buy a gun in the first place. Welcome to NRA's America.

Is it though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Mrhuth

Akrasia wrote: »
    As usual, Brooker is right in a way, but it does boil down to a 'guns don't kill people, people talking about guns killing people kills people' argument

Dozens of countries cover these US mass shootings, but the only country that has US style mass shooting copycat killers, is in the US, where uncoincidentally, they also have a ridiculous culture of jingostic association between gun ownership and national pride/freedom.

Guns are tools. And people who think guns are toys or some kind of symbol of feedom and democracy, are even bigger tools.

Oh no no no, people that want to completely take away the guns are the biggest tools who want to restrict their own freedom. Absolute sheep that give all the power to the government, I would love to be American, at least then I would know if a criminal with a knife or something similar would jump me, I would have something to defend myself. What are you going to do in Ireland? Run? Try to fight back with bare hands against a knife? Just look how many stabbings happened in here and UK. These people didn't even have a chance. Something like a German model would be perfect, you need a licence for a firearm but you can buy things like batons, tasersband pepper spray without a licence as this gives people a chance to protect themselves. Even ****ing pepper spray is banned in Ireland. But we are so proud of our restrictions on firearms because some farmer shot someone somewhere as a result it was the excuse to take away guns from absolutely everyone.
    No one is more of a tool then the one giving more power to the government voluntarily which restricts their own freedom.

How many % of all gun owners shoot someone? I would say it is around 0.01% if that.

Switzerland has one of the highest gun ownership rates in the world. So where are all the mass shootings?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 915 ✭✭✭2 Scoops

20Cent wrote: »
    Attacking a newspaper is a new one. Has anyone been whipping up hatred for the press recently?

Well done. You'd be the first to shout if this was a terrorism thread and scalding those for prejudging.

As far as the media is concerned, when political anchors and commentators are done calling Trump Hitler and his supporters Nazi's all day I'll get on board with Trump toning down the rhetoric towards factions of them. Until then I'm fine with it and have no problem seeing certain segments of the media called out for what they are, scum.

http://thehill.com/homenews/media/393618-msnbcs-deutsch-equates-trump-voters-to-nazi-guards-if-you-vote-for-trump-youre

RIP to the victims.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭TOss Sweep

_Brian wrote: »

America seems to be falling to pieces, but we shouldn’t make fun of it happening either.

Is it though? So many people say this but life has not changed for most of the country. Like myself they get on with their daily lives and nothing has changed for them. Could I be caught up in a shooting at some point? Sure its possible they happen on a daily basis across the US. But I could be killed on the road quicker. The country is not falling to pieces.

Look past the political nonsense from both camps and the mass hysteria created by the media and you will find America is just fine.

R.I.P to anyone who has lost their life today in the US and around the world.

• Advertisement

Attacking a newspaper is a new one. Has anyone been whipping up hatred for the press recently?
    I stubbed my toe, I know who I blame.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,934 ✭✭✭20Cent

2 Scoops wrote: »
    Well done. You'd be the first to shout if this was a terrorism thread and scalding those for prejudging.

As far as the media is concerned, when political anchors and commentators are done calling Trump Hitler and his supporters Nazi's all day I'll get on board with Trump toning down the rhetoric towards factions of them. Until then I'm fine with it and have no problem seeing certain segments of the media called out for what they are, scum.

http://thehill.com/homenews/media/393618-msnbcs-deutsch-equates-trump-voters-to-nazi-guards-if-you-vote-for-trump-youre

RIP to the victims.

Journalists are reporting on the huge increase in death threats they have been getting since the trump election.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Journalists are reporting on the huge increase in death threats they have been getting since the trump election.

Probably mostly from the man himself, on Twitter :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I stubbed my toe, I know who I blame.
    So you're saying it's the journalists' own faults for getting shot?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Akrasia wrote: »
    As usual, Brooker is right in a way, but it does boil down to a 'guns don't kill people, people talking about guns killing people kills people' argument

Dozens of countries cover these US mass shootings, but the only country that has US style mass shooting copycat killers, is in the US, where uncoincidentally, they also have a ridiculous culture of jingostic association between gun ownership and national pride/freedom.

Guns are tools. And people who think guns are toys or some kind of symbol of feedom and democracy, are even bigger tools.

I appreciate the sentiment of the overall post but the bolded part is dead wrong.

A hammer is a tool. So is a screwdriver. A car is a tool. You can kill somebody with all of them but that is not their purpose.

A gun is not a tool. It's a weapon of war. It's designed to do one thing and thats to kill. That is its intended and only function.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

Lol at the people trying to pin this on Trump. Read the guys Twitter timeline ffs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

2 Scoops wrote: »

RIP to the victims.

Hey guys , its all the media fault Donald Trump can't tell truth.

Kirby wrote: »
    A gun is not a tool. It's a weapon of war. It's designed to do one thing and thats to kill. That is its intended and only function.

That's not entirely true now is it?

Are you saying that farmers all over the country are waging war on foxes and crows?

Or would you say they're using guns as tools for pest control?

I largely agree with what I think is the sentiment of your post but you're definitely oversimplifying it a bit. For many people all over the world a gun is just a tool that they need (not want, need) to do their jobs safely or just to protect themselves. In most of those places people seem to be able to do that without major drama (like here in Ireland for example)

wexie wrote: »
    That's not entirely true now is it?

Are you saying that farmers all over the country are waging war on foxes and crows?

Or would you say they're using guns as tools for pest control?

I largely agree with what I think is the sentiment of your post but you're definitely oversimplifying it a bit. For many people all over the world a gun is just a tool that they need (not want, need) to do their jobs safely or just to protect themselves. In most of those places people seem to be able to do that without major drama (like here in Ireland for example)

You just proved my point for me. What do you think those farmers are using those guns for? They kill the foxes with them. Because that is it what a gun is. A weapon designed to kill. That is what it was designed to do and that is what it does. It's a weapon....not a tool.

And don't get me started on that old "protection" chestnut. A gun doesn't protect anything. When you send your kid out on his bike, you don't hand him a glock. You give him a helmet. THATS protection. The only thing you are going to be doing with a gun is kill people. If somebody walks up to you on the street and shoots you through the chest, the gun in your holster or pocket isn't "protecting" anything. And thats ignoring the sad fact that statistically, you are more likely to shoot yourself or a family member than an attacker.

And the reason why there is no "drama" as you put it in Ireland is because an 18 year old can't walk into Spar, fill out a form and order himself weapon designed to kill people.

America has 400 million guns in civilian possession. More than anywhere else in the world by a country mile. More guns in the country than people. Let that sink in. THAT is their problem. Everything else is just whataboutery and obfuscation by people trying to distract you from the blindingly obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,316 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

The most annoying part of this is people trying to blame the potus for this.
    Yeah thats right, Trump is responsible for all the nutjobs and psychos! Even on newstalk this morning. Such BS.

Guns are not the problem. The problem is nutjobs being able to access them. Plenty of guns in rural ireland but we rarely have shootings (outside of gangs, which we don't really care)

• Advertisement

You just proved my point for me. What do you think those farmers are using those guns for? They kill the foxes with them. Because that is it what a gun is. A weapon designed to kill. That is what it was designed to do and that is what it does. It's a weapon....not a tool.
    tool

1.a device or implement, especially one held in the hand, used to carry out a particular function.

Such as vermin control.

I'm not arguing with you that the US don't have a major issue, but saying that there aren't people out there who's job or location don't make a gun a very useful and sometimes necessary accessory is really a little bit simplistic.

Of course that goes for far far fewer people than the average American would have you believe but that's an entirely different argument.

ELM327 wrote: »
    Guns are not the problem. The problem is nutjobs being able to access them. Plenty of guns in rural ireland but we rarely have shootings (outside of gangs, which we don't really care)

And I wouldn't imagine they are legally held guns either

wexie wrote: »
    Such as vermin control.

I'm not arguing with you that the US don't have a major issue, but saying that there aren't people out there who's job or location don't make a gun a very useful and sometimes necessary accessory is really a little bit simplistic.

Of course that goes for far far fewer people than the average American would have you believe but that's an entirely different argument.

Vermin control can be achieved by responsible farming, fencing and humane traps. A gun is not necessary. It's as simple as that. It's a "want". Not a need.

The only people who NEED guns are the army, special response teams, security and anti-poaching rangers and the like. Jobs that require you to occasionally kill somebody. Everybody else is just satisfying the part of them that thinks their John Wayne. Or Wick.

Guns are not the problem. The problem is nutjobs being able to access them.

This argument is absolutely bonkers. Another mass shooting in America and the first thing brought up is mental health. As if America is the only country in the world with nutjobs.

The reason it happens so rarely in the rest of the developed world is because they don't have the same gun culture. If a looney in the states gets upset, going home and getting his gun is an option. Getting one from your parents/cousin/uncle/grandparents is an option. Going into a store and legally buying one is an option. Borrowing one from a friend or buying one on a street corner is an option.

I went to school with some very unstable folks. I worked with a few more. The idea of them having access to firearms is a terrifying one so the fact that the cant is why we don't have mass shootings here. You have to work hard to get a gun here. Real hard. You can't just order one like you would a f*cking pizza. And thats why it doesn't happen here.

The rest of the world has the same mental health issues as exists in the states. They just don't have the guns.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Lol at the people trying to pin this on Trump. Read the guys Twitter timeline ffs.

Unless I misread the thread, the first mention of Trump on this was someone defending Trump, when nobody had mentioned his name.

However, one Milo Yiannopoulos is being partially blamed as he had very recently 'joked' that he couldn't wait for gangs to start shooting journalists.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,319 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Again it’s the same faces her so wrapped up in the right-wing American online communities that they’ve submerged themselves is, that they actually start parroting NRA arguments and defending the insane gun situation in the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,316 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

This argument is absolutely bonkers. Another mass shooting in America and the first thing brought up is mental health. As if America is the only country in the world with nutjobs.

The reason it happens so rarely in the rest of the developed world is because they don't have the same gun culture. If a looney in the states gets upset, going home and getting his gun is an option. Getting one from your parents/cousin/uncle/grandparents is an option. Going into a store and legally buying one is an option. Borrowing one from a friend or buying one on a street corner is an option.

I went to school with some very unstable folks. I worked with a few more. The idea of them having access to firearms is a terrifying one so the fact that the cant is why we don't have mass shootings here. You have to work hard to get a gun here. Real hard. You can't just order one like you would a f*cking pizza. And thats why it doesn't happen here.

The rest of the world has the same mental health issues as exists in the states. They just don't have the guns.

Mental checks and background checks would solve this issue, there is no need to impinge on the constitutional rights of millions of citizens just because a few nutjobs shot up a building.

I'd much prefer to have a gun if confronted by a shooter, than for only the shooter to have a gun, which is what gun control will bring.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Unless I misread the thread, the first mention of Trump on this was someone defending Trump, when nobody had mentioned his name.

However, one Milo Yiannopoulos is being partially blamed as he had very recently 'joked' that he couldn't wait for gangs to start shooting journalists.

I didn’t just mean on boards.ie...

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

If a looney in the states gets upset, going home and getting his gun is an option.
    It's not only an option, it's the preferred option.

In the US, guns are not pest control tools. They are not sports equipment or hunting equipment.

First and foremost, guns are promoted in the US for defence. Self-defence, home defence, and national defence.

In practically every other western country, the purchase of guns as a weapon of defence is not only strongly frowned upon, it is outright illegal.

Suggest that in the US, and you will be shouted down with rhetoric about the right to protect your family and your home and all sorts of other nonsense. In what sane scenario should someone be permitted to carry a weapon in public for personal defence? Unless you live in a warzone or are surrounded by dangerous animals, there's no sane reason for it.

So when someone who is mentally ill, feels angry and aggrieved, they have been raised, culturally, to believe that taking a weapon and using it in "self defence" against those people who have annoyed you, is not only OK, but it is the appropriate course of action.

Of course, this is decades, generations of cultural insanity, so can't be Trump's fault. But sowing the seeds of hatred and anger when you live in a society that's already on a knife edge, is inexcusable.

If you call the media the "enemy of the state" and tell people that they should use guns to defend against their enemies....well there's an obvious outcome. So Trump has to share a huge chunk of blame for incidents like this.

• Advertisement

Mental checks and background checks would solve this issue

No it wouldn't. Some of these people have no criminal records or history. The ones that do don't need to legally purchase them. They can borrow one of the 400 million readily available already. The issue is unstable and irresponsible people having easy access to guns. We have the same unstable and irresponsible people everywhere else in the world.....whats the contributing factor? Easy access to guns.

I'd much prefer to have a gun if confronted by a shooter than for only the shooter to have a gun, which is what gun control will bring.

The idea that the solution to combating gun violence is..."MORE GUNS!" is ridiculous. It would be like thinking the answer to road deaths due to speeding is to have everyone drive faster. The answer is fewer guns, not more guns.

Yes, it would take a few generations. Probably over 50 years. But something being difficult is not a reason to avoid doing it.

there is no need to impinge on the constitutional rights of millions of citizens just because a few nutjobs shot up a building

No need? Mass shootings every few weeks and you think there is no need?

I guess thats the issue here. The first step in fixing a problem is admitting you have one. I guess that burning "everything is fine" gif would go well here.

Advertisement