Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

So who's going to see the Pope?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Irish Kings

IvySlayer wrote: »
    Had to travel to/from Lucan to town today for work and I thought it was going to be chaos with all the diversions. It went pretty well, fair play to Dublin bus and the Gardai for a great job they did today!!

Residents were made prisoners in their own homes

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

lawred2 wrote: »
    timthumbni wrote: »
    Watched the news and some woman said we obviously didn’t get the weather we were all praying for.....

I think there is a lot of insanity still rampant in the island of Ireland.

Don't your DUP advocate creationism in school?

You've enough to worry about..

There are no DUP schools in Norn Iron to my knowledge anyway. In fact there are no Protestant schools as such. There are state schools that are mostly made up of pupils from a Protestant background. And there are catholic schools.

The dup can advocate what they want but they will have little sway as they don’t run the school. Ministers in my school were rarely seen unless it was a Xmas or Easter service in assembly. They certainly took no part in teaching or would ever have been alone with pupils.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,871 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Patww79 wrote:
    Lots of attendance triumphalism from people who don't seem to want people to have freedom, so I'm at a loss to know what they believe in.

I don't see that at all.

There were protests against rape, slavery, human trafficking and a covering up of the whole thing. None of these protests effected the papal visit. No one interfered with your freedom or stopped you going to the mass today.

I do admit that I'm delighted with the low turnout as it demonstrates that the census will wrong. It shows that the real percentage of RC has most likely well below 50 percent. It gives us hope of removing religious education from schools & have school fact based. Let the church have Sunday school for religious education.

This weekend hasn't effected anyones freedom but might rebalance religion in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Taytoland wrote: »
    Trying to save face. The churches are empty and they expect 500,000 people to turn out. Was never going to happen. It's been a failure for the Pope and a failure for that disgraceful Church. The Pope will never be back, thank goodness.

What does it matter to you? Do you think if numbers go down that people will automatically become one of your lot?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Residents were made prisoners in their own homes

I can't speak for anyone else only what I experienced!

• Advertisement

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    Hilarious excuse. Tickets were available for the entirety of the time they were for sale. Never sold out.

Journal.ie claimed all 500,000 tickets were booked out, so has RTE just there now

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

JeffKenna wrote: »
    I think the question asked was why were there 500,000 tickets claimed but the majority not used? Why claim them in the first place if you have no intention of using them.

Because they were free and people booked them just in case they might decide to go, or in case they could give them to someone, or in case they became valuable and could be touted...

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    I don't see that at all.

There were protests against rape, slavery, human trafficking and a covering up of the whole thing. None of these protests effected the papal visit. No one interfered with your freedom or stopped you going to the mass today.

I do admit that I'm delighted with the low turnout as it demonstrates that the census will wrong. It shows that the real percentage of RC has most likely well below 50 percent. It gives us hope of removing religious education from schools & have school fact based. Let the church have Sunday school for religious education.

This weekend hasn't effected anyones freedom but might rebalance religion in Ireland.

Yes they did, I know lots of people that booked tickets to stop people going. It may not have had much effect in the end but the intention was there.
    There is lots of triumphalism too, you just don't want to see it because you have your own views. The big twitter brigade jumping on the coat tails of real protests don't want anyone to think anything different than they do themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Iwouldinmesack

endacl wrote: »
    That’s kinda your signature posting style. :D

*enters discussion on discussion forum*

“Here’s my point of view. I’m tired now. I don’t want to talk any more because somebody might disagree with me, or even just point out the more obvious flaws in what I posted. Off to bed now. Bees wind island cats.”

*leaves discussion on discussion forum*

Shes only a blow in sure, wouldnt have a clue about the previous hold the RCC had on Irish society and the amount of lives and families that were destroyed/affected by them in one way or another.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Patww79 wrote: »
    What does it matter to you? Do you think if numbers go down that people will automatically become one of your lot?

It means that state policies will be less likely to be dictated by religion. Do you honestly think we would have even had referendums on marriage equality and abortion if the country was still majorly catholic?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,722 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Hilarious excuse. Tickets were available for the entirety of the time they were for sale. Never sold out. Everybody that wanted one before the deadline got one.

The Irish people are sick to death of the catholic church abusing the people and children of Ireland and continuing to cover it up and today it showed it has had enough. Such a magnificent day in Irish history.

Francis won't make Christmas with the allegations coming out this morning from the US and that is probably for the best for the church. Can't have a known paedophile defender as Pope.

Tell RTE and other media sources this about the tickets, state your source etc ...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

Graces7, I have you on my ignore list but someone else quoted your return to this thread.

What you said earlier in this thread
    the gossips are worse than the abusers

is absolutely disgusting and I don't know how you live with yourself holding such a deplorable point of view.

On the tickets - if all the protestors snapped up all the tickets and that's why only 130,000 showed up, how come we didn't hear a single person complaining to Joe and all of the media outlets, who have lapped up this circus, about not being able to get a ticket? Surely 370,000 desperate for tickets but unable to get them would have made some noise? Even 1000 people desperate for tickets would have made noise.

Maybe the fact of the matter is - Ireland is no longer under the control of a cult (I know what other word would fit nicely in there). Maybe this circus has shown our government that the time has come to separate church and state. Maybe Irish people have had enough of the catholic church and it's corruption. Maybe we've had enough of this organisation with a history of rape, sexual abuse, physical abuse and psychological abuse against our ancestors.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Nope, but it makes the argument that the church should retain control of our education system because 'Ireland is a Catholic Country a lot less powerful if only 200k people bothered to turn up to free events to see the Pope

• Registered Users Posts: 12,356 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

The age profile of those who are most likely to attend combined with the fact that it was going to be a 5k walk could have had an effect plus the weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,233 ✭✭✭Cody montana

billyhead wrote: »
    How do we know that some of these allegations of child abuse are actually true. Its an easy way to make money if the accused is dead and cant speak up for himself.

****ing hell!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭Taytoland

Trying to save face. The churches are empty and they expect 500,000 people to turn out. Was never going to happen. It's been a failure for the Pope and a failure for that disgraceful Church. The Pope will never be back, thank goodness.

Go down? They have been obliterated. That attendance was shocking. Don't be in denial about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,295 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Doesn't matter a jot to him. Whether you were there today, are a believer or not, once you were baptised a Catholic you'll always be "one of them" to that poster.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Obviously not.

You can't deny that the proportions are shifting.

Once the elderly die off, Catholicism in Ireland drops to 60% only

It means that state policies will be less likely to be dictated by religion. Do you honestly think we would have even had referendums on marriage equality and abortion if the country was still majorly catholic?

The poster I was replying to is a british loyalist protestant so their motives would be suspect. Their own peoples views on same sex marriage wouldn't be worth crowing about either.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,722 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I will post this again...

https://www.rte.ie/news/politics/2018/0627/973665-pope-protest/
    Taoiseach Leo Varadkar has condemned "petty and mean-spirited" protesters for block booking free tickets, which will not be used, for Pope Francis' events during his visit to Ireland this summer.

A social media campaign encouraging people to book large numbers of free tickets to events, such as the Pope's mass in the Phoenix Park, and not use them has gained traction in recent days.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Believing Catholics seem to be a bit stupid - why are there people standing in pens that are almost empty when they could just walk forward and get a bit more into it.

original?width=630&version=4202857

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭shenanagans

Hilarious excuse. Tickets were available for the entirety of the time they were for sale. Never sold out. Everybody that wanted one before the deadline got one.

The Irish people are sick to death of the catholic church abusing the people and children of Ireland and continuing to cover it up and today it showed it has had enough. Such a magnificent day in Irish history.

Francis won't make Christmas with the allegations coming out this morning from the US and that is probably for the best for the church. Can't have a known paedophile defender as Pope.

Educate yourself about topic. The tickets sold out. As per report on TV and media.

Why was phoenix Park prepared for 500000 today if tickets weren't sold out. Give a link.... Source or give it a rest.

RobertKK wrote: »

more fake news from Leo, no one did that

Go down? They have been obliterated. That attendance was shocking. Don't be in denial about it.

And that matters why? Don't expect to see numbers of your bigoted churches to rise on the back of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

No, you're taking something and adding some sensationalist thing to completely twist what was said. I'd suggest the Daily Star.

And I'd suggest a job in alive for yourself. At least you'll be making excuses to an audience of people that want to be fooled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

I will post this again...

https://www.rte.ie/news/politics/2018/0627/973665-pope-protest/
    Taoiseach Leo Varadkar has condemned "petty and mean-spirited" protesters for block booking free tickets, which will not be used, for Pope Francis' events during his visit to Ireland this summer.

A social media campaign encouraging people to book large numbers of free tickets to events, such as the Pope's mass in the Phoenix Park, and not use them has gained traction in recent days.
    Tickets were literally being handed out on the Christianity forum. They were incredibly easy to come by. Also they were readily available to order online for weeks. Seems clear that the selling out was always misrepresented as there was absolutely no difficultly ordering.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭Taytoland

And that matters why? Don't expect to see numbers of your bigoted churches to rise on the back of it.
    I'm an Atheist. The demise of the Catholic Church is great for my political and ethical cause.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Are they worse than child abusers though? Graces7 certainly thinks so.

Believing Catholics seem to be a bit stupid - why are there people standing in pens that are almost empty when they could just walk forward and get a bit more into it.

original?width=630&version=4202857

bit bizarre, if the 500,000 tickets were not booked out as is being claimed.

• Advertisement

I'm an Atheist. The demise of the Catholic Church is great for my political and ethical cause.

The political and ethical cause of you people is to see all of us wiped out, not just the religion.

Advertisement