Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The royal wedding who cares.(Maybe Meghan)(Lovers of Royal Wedding thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭Bredabe

I'll be looking at the dresses and some hats so I'll have something in common with my British workmates when I'm there. No particular interest in any of the rest.

* Yes, I can hear my black and tans/"troubles" surviving parents turning in their graves at that comment.

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,880 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Was there this much fuss about Prince Andrew and Fergie? Similar royal 'rank' ... I guess Miss Markle's showbiz status moves it up a notch from FA Cup Final to Champions League Final status?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Her family seem to have its fair share of bitter red-necks. Seems they're writing books and letters to completly discredit her.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Ah come on, maybe it's not for everyone, but most people will sneak a look even they say they don't care. It is the media event of the year.

What will the dress be like, what is everyone else wearing. It's just drivel I know, but it is what it is, and many are nosey.

I suppose we sometimes need a bit of diversion from the hum drum daily grind.

I accept that most straight men might not give a toss, but gay men that I know cannot wait for this. I hope that is not offending anyone but Jaysis it's the truth.

I will be abroad, but I am sure I can catch up online.

And then we go back to normality. Sigh.

But isn't Zara dropping a child soon also. Another fest.

It is distraction.

But I can tell you one thing, there is no way I would enjoy sitting in St. George's chapel for hours before the event. I get the shivers being in enclosed places where you cannot leave without making a scene. Hope none of them are like me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭Danny Donut

Mutant z wrote: »
    I have seen lots of ads about the upcoming royal wedding of Harry and Meghan and i really couldn't care less i dont know why so many Irish people have such a fascination with the British royal family. People get married all the time i dont see this one as being any different just because it happens to involves royals who cares they are just people like everyone else at the end of the day but all i hear is never ending fawning over it. I didnt watch William and Kates wedding and i sure as hell wont be watching this one either because i have far better things to be doing.

No I don't care much either but back in the day when one of the Prince's was marrying the ginger one, three of my wife's aunts (sadly no longer with us cos they were a great craic) came over to our first flat and watched it with us.

So whenever it is on (in the background) it will stir some very fond memories.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

West Brits loves royal weddings

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Can't really see the point in RTE sending over 3 broadcasters and spending a pile of cash on it.
    What the actual **** ?
    This can not be true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Pero_Bueno

Ah come on, maybe it's not for everyone, but most people will sneak a look even they say they don't care. It is the media event of the year.

What will the dress be like, what is everyone else wearing. It's just drivel I know, but it is what it is, and many are nosey.

I suppose we sometimes need a bit of diversion from the hum drum daily grind.

I accept that most straight men might not give a toss, but gay men that I know cannot wait for this. I hope that is not offending anyone but Jaysis it's the truth.

I will be abroad, but I am sure I can catch up online.

And then we go back to normality. Sigh.

But isn't Zara dropping a child soon also. Another fest.

It is distraction.

But I can tell you one thing, there is no way I would enjoy sitting in St. George's chapel for hours before the event. I get the shivers being in enclosed places where you cannot leave without making a scene. Hope none of them are like me!

Agreed, I remember being cynical about the last wedding and then seeing some of it on BBC - wow the camera work from the roof of that abbey !!!

Amazing!!

And of course the way everything was decked out, I'd say the americans would love to be able to pull something like that off ... but they would tat it up too much ..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭annascott

I will watch it. He seems like a lovely guy and I liked her in Suits. Actually, probably the main reason I will watch it is to try and spot the other Suits actors who have been invited.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Always number 1

In addition to sending hacks over to it, RTE are probably on the look out for other couples who are getting married that day to interview on the news.
    My cousin got married on the same day as Brian O'Driscoll and Amy Huberman and got on the news with her new hubby that evening. It was a heavily edited piece as all the guests were running amok with Brian and Amy face masks (it was common knowledge that their wedding was going to be the same day)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Graces7 wrote: »
    Found myself asking what royal wedding? And I am English.. Then a vague memory of an Irish person in Canada telling me about it; something about mixed race?

Do you never have the radio/tv news on or pick up a newspaper? All these people claiming never to have heard of the wedding make me laugh. You don't have to approve of the wedding but claiming not to have heard it just makes you come across as dumb. In other news Donald Trump threatened to attack North Korea or did you not hear of that either. No personal slur on you intended but really come on! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

I’d say Harry won’t be long having his eye on other women. Bit of a ‘swordsman’ by all accounts. Rather like myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭sunbeam

Kate does dress rather older than her years but I think she is trying very hard not to overshadow her husband. I suspect 'Don't be another Diana' is the No.1 rule for any woman wishing to join the British Royal Family nowadays.

I'll be watching but find European royal weddings more fun. You get your taxpayers money's worth as many of them show the whole thing up until the first dance.

When Sofia Hellqvist married Prince Carl Philip of Sweden in 2015 she walked up the aisle to an Enya tune, there was a rendetion of Coldplay's 'Fix You' and the couple exited to this arrangement from Sister Act:

I really can't see this happening in the UK somehow.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭BofaDeezNuhtz

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Was there this much fuss about Prince Andrew and Fergie? Similar royal 'rank' ... I guess Miss Markle's showbiz status moves it up a notch from FA Cup Final to Champions League Final status?

Despite Andrew being the actual direct son of the Queen and Harry just being a
    nephew to his Uncle, Harry is actually ahead of Andrew in line to the throne!

He WAS 2nd in line but once Big Ears had kids then THEY are in line after him by age.
    If Charles is dead and William & family say died in a plane crash then
    Harry "check out my Hitler fancy dress costume" becomes King.

Now that William has had kids his son actually moves ahead of Harry etc.

The problem people have with her background is that if said plane crash for instance
    was to happen any half-caste kid (ok 1/4) of Harrys could become King/Queen someday.

People will loose their sh1t lol. Fresh Prince of Buckingham Castle :D

Same with Diana getting pregnant giving the future King William
    a half-caste Muslim brother/sis from Dodi Fayed.

Explained here:
    http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-23272491

As for the wedding, couldn't give a gee tbh.:rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

Ms Markle is probably the maximum amount of blackness at the minimum distance from the succession tolerable for the royal family. If you knew nothing about her background you'd probably guess she is hispanic or perhaps from the Maghreb or Levant.
    That she is the female and the royal is male probably eases some of the qualms the public and the establishment might have about the marriage - if the first in line to the throne was a princess and she arrived back from the States with some Wesley Snipes or Flavor Flav looking dude I've no doubt the reaction would be completely different.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭BofaDeezNuhtz

One of the cousins was longterm fukking some Muslim dude iirc until recently and he was telling the papers
    they use to do E and fukk in the queens garden fountain at night pmsl

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

sabat wrote: »
    Ms Markle is probably the maximum amount of blackness at the minimum distance from the succession tolerable for the royal family. If you knew nothing about her background you'd probably guess she is hispanic or perhaps from the Maghreb or Levant.
    That she is the female and the royal is male probably eases some of the qualms the public and the establishment might have about the marriage - if the first in line to the throne was a princess and she arrived back from the States with some Wesley Snipes or Flavor Flav looking dude I've no doubt the reaction would be completely different.
    They don't care what her genetic background is.

Even Catholics are allowed to marry into the family these days.

That's a huge step for prod Britain. Accepting members of the One True Faith.

The Church founded in Rome by St Peter under the instruction of The Lord Jesus Christ.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,270 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

They don't care what her genetic background is.

Even Catholics are allowed to marry into the family these days.

That's a huge step for prod Britain. Accepting members of the One True Faith.

The Church founded in Rome by St Peter under the instruction of The Lord Jesus Christ.

Oh aren't they wonderful

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

I remember there was huge media interest in Andrew and fergie' s wedding. It was at the height of dianamania and the press just couldn't get enough of the Royal family.

When Edward got married some years later there was very little interest. Diana was dead by then and there was a kind of bleak and jaded feel about the royals until William grew up and started dating Kate.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Is it on this weekend?

Anyway between that and Brexit I think I know what I prefer. And I suspect British government is quietly thanking younger royals for media distractions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭santana75

I will never understand this. I suspect its a thing only women will truly get. My girlfriend whos from New Zealand is obsessed about this wedding. Apparently the Royals are big in NZ. Ive asked her directly to explain to me why shes so interested in this and Im met with a blank stare: She doesnt even know. I asked my mother the same thing and she also cant explain why shes into royal weddings. Ive always liked Prince Harry, he seems like a decent guy so I wish them well. The media need to leave them alone though, stop reporting on something that really doesnt matter when comes right down to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

"The Royal wedding on 19th May will be aired by RTE and although the coverage is being provided for free via the BBC (RTÉ don't have to pay anyone for the rights), Sinn Fein councillor, Paul Donnelly said it was a "disgraceful" waste of tax payers' money.

Former Lord Mayor of Belfast Niall O Donnghaile said the decision to broadcast the wedding was "controversial" and was curious as to why RTÉ weren't more focused on showing events happening in Ireland on that day.

His claims were allegedly furthered by a recent Claire Byrne Live poll which showed that 57% of people said they wouldn't follow the Royal on the television."

57% won't watch it. So 43% will watch it? How many will watch the next Sinn Féin Àrd Fheis? More? Less?
    An t-Uasal O Donnghaile wants RTE to focus on other events that day. Which ones? Please tell us now. (Helpful hint: the Connacht sheep shearing championships clash, but as of now I'm not aware of any other competing event.)

19th May will have to be a very slow day on tv if I am to see any of the wedding. I'm a republican, I mean a real republican in that I prefer a republican form of governmen to a monarchial one, not that I am a pseudorepublican who would use bomb and bullet to thwart the will of the overwhelming majority of the people. I mean that I believe in government of the people for the people by the people.While I would hold the current UK monarch in high regard I see monarchy as an anachronism, but each to their own.

If a few oul wans want to watch the wedding on tv, as a temporary diversion from the third secret of Fatima, what harm will it do them or me?

We have heard alot in recent times from certain quarters about equality of esteem. Is this another case of parity of esteem for some but not for others? How small-minded can we get?

• Registered Users Posts: 85,013 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

People will watch it to see the fashion, celebrities and who did/didn't get an invite

She's a stunner, Harry did well

I wanna see if Harvey attends and what suit he wears :p

• Registered Users Posts: 10,904 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Ms Markle is probably the maximum amount of blackness at the minimum distance from the succession tolerable for the royal family.

Prince Philip probably had his Dulux "racist range" paint chart out.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

I care. I want to see the glamour style and outfits.
    We never have weddings of that scale here.

Yeah i know - sad.....

Must say I'm very confused by this turn of events. Are there no weddings happening in Ireland at all that day that they could send the cameras to?

https://www.independent.ie/entertainment/television/tv-news/rte-defends-controversial-decision-to-broadcast-prince-harry-and-meghan-markles-wedding-36898687.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

Well it's just the state funded reality TV show from anachronistic monarchy next door.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Must say I'm very confused by this turn of events. Are there no weddings happening in Ireland at all that day that they could send the cameras to?

https://www.independent.ie/entertainment/television/tv-news/rte-defends-controversial-decision-to-broadcast-prince-harry-and-meghan-markles-wedding-36898687.html

Are there no other threads on AHs about this that you could comment on?

:P

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Charlene and Scott? Seen it already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,727 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

RTE are going to see if James Hewitt turns up looking for a paternity test.

Advertisement