Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Toronto

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 406 ✭✭Pepefrogok

Again :-(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 300 ✭✭garbo speaks

Muslim I'll bet...

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,259 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Crazy how the Nice attack triggered so many copycats. All those poor people losing their lives for no reason at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭tradhead

If it’s any help to those with family or friends in downtown Toronto, this happened in North York so about 18km from the city centre.

I heard about it on the news at work when the news broke first (my office is downtown) and then nothing was really said about it at all, it was weird. It was only when I got home and looked online that I realized that nine people had been killed.

Hopefully an isolated incident anyway, I thought we were safe enough up here rather than in the US but sure I suppose nowhere is immune now.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,034 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Known to Police and all ffs.

9 family and friends now have funerals to go to.

**** off like

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭King George VI

The driver's name is Alek Minassian according to CBS, Canadian media and a few others. CBS the classy bastards linked to his LinkedIn page.

That's an Armenian name as far as I can tell. Armenia is predominantly not a Muslim country so I doubt that has anything to do with it. Probably just a whackjob as opposed to some politically charged murder spree.

Funny comment from Reddit: Left wing idiots hoping for “white guy”, right wing idiots hoping for “brown guy”, all idiots now trying to figure out what color Armenians are.

lol

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Looks like it was simply a mentally ill software developer. Shame his mental illness wasn't looked after better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

The driver's name is Alek Minassian according to CBS, Canadian media and a few others. CBS the classy bastards linked to his LinkedIn page.

That's an Armenian name as far as I can tell. Armenia is predominantly not a Muslim country so I doubt that has anything to do with it. Probably just a whackjob as opposed to some politically charged murder spree.

Funny comment from Reddit: Left wing idiots hoping for “white guy”, right wing idiots hoping for “brown guy”, all idiots now trying to figure out what color Armenians are.

lol
    Apparently he had a bit of a hang up on the Elliot Rodgers shootings from a few years back which were neither white supremacist nor Muslim but a frustrated hatred of women and sexually active men though at this point it could be anything. As you said, best not to jump to conclusions either side like happened with previous terrorist attack in Canada last year.

Seriously great job by the cop to not shoot him in a tense, split second situation when he was trying to make out he had a gun though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

ricero wrote: »
    Surprised this hasnt happened earlier. Canada is weak and Trudea is a snowflake liberal.

Canada like many other western states need to get tough on hardline islam.

You tell them, ricero!

Waiting to actually find out what happened before passing judgement is only for libtard, snowflake pussies!!! Something something Trump rules! Something something Hillary something something religion of peace!?!?

Unconfirmed, but apparently he posted this on his Facebook in the last few days.

facebook.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,165 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

What the hell are Chads and Stacys?

This guy seriously run over two dozen folks because he couldn't get laid?!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Muslims do it because allah.... or something. Any reason to drive over people is ultimately crazy/stupid/incomprehensible. I suppose not getting laid is as good as any.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Jim Bob Scratcher

Good looking people it seems.

The whole incel movement is just layer upon layer of pathetic self pitying and blaming everyone else for one's shortcomings, I'd reckon Chad and Stacy are spiteful names for any sexual active male or female since they are stereotypical high school quarterback/cheerleader type names o what you'd see in teen movies, and the incel group tend to be utterly obsessed with the whole "alpha male" nonsense, on the basis that they're not the "alpha male" so it's not their fault that women don't like them (and has absolutely nothing to do with their many complexes and insecurities, hatred of the opposite sex, legitimate calls for rape slaves to be an actual thing because basically "men deserve sex", and so on and so on). They're kind of an interesting lot to read up on, but only if you have an interest in that sense for dark, morbid cults that make you feel like pouring bleach in your ear after.

Still, the above is unconfirmed so only speculation at this point. The cause for this attack could turn out to be pretty much anything.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,165 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Muslims do it because allah.... or something. Any reason to drive over people is ultimately crazy/stupid/incomprehensible. I suppose not getting laid is as good as any.

Fair point.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

stunmer wrote: »
    Surely the attacker skin color is irrelevant. Terrorism is about motivation

That was my point...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭vetinari

Christ, could the anti Islam people go back to whatever dungeon they were inhabiting. The 2016 census said there was 63 thousand muslims in Ireland. That is ****ing tiny. I live in Boston these days, why am I encountering the same trolls on an Irish forum? I agree that there is a disproportionate number of nutjob Islamic terrorists but wait for the ****ing facts.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

backspin. wrote: »
    Only two pages on this and many Irish have family in Toronto. We are becoming desensitized to terror attacks.

Just woken to this and straight to the phone as I have family in many parts of Canada.

Thankfully all safe. But they now say 10 dead.

Horrific and no way can we let ourselves be desensitized .

Yes a kind of pattern develops. Horror , then make sure all we know and love are safe.

Then real reaction sets in. Utter shock

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭baylah17

another truck of peace.

I've a cousin that works in downtown toronto, haven't heard any word yet but I'm presuming that means she's ok.
    Pepefrogok wrote: »
    Again :-(
    Muslim I'll bet...

Wrong.
    Perhaps next time you will wait for the facts before letting your agenda run riot.
    Condolences to those involved would have been better

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

10 confirmed dead. So sad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

mattser wrote: »
    WTF is it with the three in the background :eek: ? Sauntering along. I'd be slipping in my own doo doo trying to get out of there fast.

There's a few TV shows filmed in Toronto, they could easily have mistaken it for filming.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Graces7 wrote: »
    Just woken to this and straight to the phone as I have family in many parts of Canada.

Thankfully all safe. But they now say 10 dead.

Horrific and no way can we let ourselves be desensitized .

Yes a kind of pattern develops. Horror , then make sure all we know and love are safe.

Then real reaction sets in. Utter shock

Graces, if you have "family in many parts of Canada", and those parts aren't Toronto then unless they slipped in the bath, they were always going to be fine.

This is the start of the "Jeez I was in Toronto for a day back in 2016" posts by people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭tretorn

He appears to have been special needs which probably means autism.

There seems to be more and more autistic men involved in serious crime incidents and I suspect its due to easy access to depraved sites on the internet.

I dont know how this can be monitored since autistic men mostly never leave home and how can elderly parents monitor what they are doing online.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭mattser

razorblunt wrote: »
    There's a few TV shows filmed in Toronto, they could easily have mistaken it for filming.

I presume the TV shows have a camera crew etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

I’d say the Canadians, much like the Irish, will sweep this under the carpet. Wouldn’t fit in with their liberal attitude towards forced multiculturism. When was the last update on the Dundalk murderer? Have the Gardai even figured out where he’s from yet??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭BabyCheeses

Looks like I was right. Might as well close the thread now unless we can somehow work this back around to Muslims.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭BabyCheeses

I’d say the Canadians, much like the Irish, will sweep this under the carpet. Wouldn’t fit in with their liberal attitude towards forced multiculturism. When was the last update on the Dundalk murderer? Have the Gardai even figured out where he’s from yet??

Oh cool. Conspiracy theories. It's Canada, I don't know how much you know about Canada but you are a few hundred years late to start complaining about multiculturalism.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Walter Bishop

Oh cool. Conspiracy theories. It's Canada, I don't know how much you know about Canada but you are a few hundred years late to start complaining about multiculturalism.

It was '...liberal attitude towards Islam' before he edited it

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1 banterlegend

It seems to me that this is generally the sort of reason. The people who carry out these atrocities are disenfranchised young men who can't get things to work for themselves. They're angry and they're jealous both on a personal and cultural level.

The whole Muslim angle legitimises it and turns it into something they think they can be proud of or potentially get some reward for.
    Except in this case, he did it for basement dwellers? That's even more stupid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

I’d say the Canadians, much like the Irish, will sweep this under the carpet. Wouldn’t fit in with their liberal attitude towards forced multiculturalism. When was the last update on the Dundalk murderer? Have the Gardai even figured out where he’s from yet??

What does an autistic Toronto software developer running people over with a van have to do with multiculturism?

Some posts remind me of the people that would have an essay ready to go for the leaving cert Irish exam. They would try fit that story into whatever comes up somehow, even if it made no sense.

Advertisement