Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The end of the line for the Northern White Rhino

Options
  • 20-03-2018 6:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭

The last known living male has died at 45, leaving only two females of this breed of Rhino alive in the world.

Other breeds of Rhino such as the Western Black have also been declared extinct recently.

Is this all down to poaching or is there other factors at play?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

Did they get a, emm, 'sample' before he snuffed it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

Did they get a, emm, 'sample' before he snuffed it?

Yeah, they did.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Bloody Chinese

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

Any chance of them turning lezzie?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭ThinkProgress

Sure it's grand, they have a few of them in captivity... this was the last wild one left.

Besides, they kind of all look the same anyway... just grab one of the southern white Rhinos... nobody will know the difference. "Does it have a big horn on it's head? Yep! "Job's a good'un!" :P

• Advertisement

Life, uh, finds a way

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

He was a prick anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Sure it's grand, they have a few of them in captivity... this was the last wild one left.

Besides, they kind of all look the same anyway... just grab one of the southern white Rhinos... nobody will know the difference. "Does it have a big horn on it's head? Yep! "Job's a good'un!" :P

No, all gone. Extinct in the wild about 10 years ago. As for why they're extinct, we're all the cause of that, although those fecking alternative medicine crowd need to take a bit more of the blame for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,418 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Errm, no they don't, not the Northern subspecies anyway.

Alun wrote: »
    Errm, no they don't, not the Northern subspecies anyway.

They don't seem to like breeding too much... that could be a problem when it comes to the auld extinction thingy! :pac:

Pandas too... they've been trying to go extinct for years... but we won't let them!! :(

Rhinos kinda look a bit sad and depressed to me... maybe it's just their turn to go extinct?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,078 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

They don't seem to like breeding too much... that could be a problem when it comes to the auld extinction thingy! :pac:

Pandas too... they've been trying to go extinct for years... but we won't let them!! :(

Rhinos kinda look a bit sad and depressed to me... maybe it's just their turn to go extinct?

Actually the giant panda has been downgraded, ore would that be promoted, from ‘Endangered’ to ‘Vulnerable’ on the global list of species at risk of extinction.

Kinda sad and something we will see a lot more of, especially if we think of animals in the wild.

Humans are also extinct from the wild... quite sad when you sit back and think about it. We only exist in captivity! (despite being the smartest animal on the block)

I think there's a few populations of humans surviving in the wild, in Brazil and Paupa New Guinea anyway, as far as I know

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

I think there's a few populations of humans surviving in the wild, in Brazil and Paupa New Guinea anyway, as far as I know

Dundalk too.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,147 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

The Sentilese still kill anyone who comes too close.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

Stupid Chinese and their silly potions. And they aren't done yet. Elephant tusks, lion and tiger bones. Pretty much any of the majestic animals are under threat. So sad and so pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Everyone likes to blame poachers but we, in the west, are probably much more to blame through the deforestation we cause by our massive demand for cheap resources from developing countries

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

wakka12 wrote: »
    Everyone likes to blame poachers but we, in the west, are probably much more to blame through the deforestation we cause by our massive demand for cheap resources from developing countries

How has deforestation killed off this Rhino species?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Oasis1974

razorblunt wrote: »
    How has deforestation killed off this Rhino species?

We need to clear trees to build houses and apartments theirs a housing shortage unless you weren't aware?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭facehugger99

jmayo wrote: »
    Actually the giant panda has been downgraded, ore would that be promoted, from ‘Endangered’ to ‘Vulnerable’ on the global list of species at risk of extinction.

Apparently the main reason they were chosen by the WWF as their symbol was to save on printing costs as they were black and white.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Oasis1974 wrote: »
    We need to clear trees to build houses and apartments theirs a housing shortage unless you weren't aware?

Don’t think rhinos are forest dwelling creatures

• Registered Users Posts: 19,025 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Don't forget about Leitrim!!

Edit: Ah ****e. Just noticed someone else had given the same point about Dundalk!

Bastard

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Don't forget about Leitrim!!

Edit: Ah ****e. Just noticed someone else had given the same point about Dundalk!

Bastard

Fake county!

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭zoe 3619

Well,fair play to whoever gathered the 'sample'.Just spending a moment thinking about the logistics of that..
    Apparantly the two females aren't fit for breeding from.Don't know if that's due to age,state of health or close relationship (one's his daughter,other is grand daughter)
    Find this fairly heart breaking to be honest.Poor creature has been living for years with a team of armed guards around him to protect him from poachers.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,357 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

Blame Mr Burns; "see these white slippers they're albino, African endangered Rhino".

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

Humans are also extinct from the wild... quite sad when you sit back and think about it. We only exist in captivity! (despite being the smartest animal on the block)

I wish we were extinct, period, let alone just in the wild..

• Registered Users Posts: 16,357 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

jaxxx wrote: »

The rest of us wish you were extinct.

Glazers Out!

jaxxx wrote: »
    for some reason this tune entered my head after reading your post.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,025 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

zoe 3619 wrote: »
    Well,fair play to whoever gathered the 'sample'.Just spending a moment thinking about the logistics of that..
    Apparantly the two females aren't fit for breeding from.Don't know if that's due to age,state of health or close relationship (one's his daughter,other is grand daughter)
    Find this fairly heart breaking to be honest.Poor creature has been living for years with a team of armed guards around him to protect him from poachers.

They just let themselves go and got fat.

Same as any other female with low competition. They stop making an effort.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭SuperS54

They don't seem to like breeding too much... that could be a problem when it comes to the auld extinction thingy!

There's stuff they could take for that, I hear the Chinese do a good line in powdered horns...for the horn

Advertisement