Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ex RTÉ producer sentenced to 18 months in prison

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭quintana76

Will he get paid his increments when he is in jail ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭tretorn

I think he has been fired so he wont be getting any more increments. He is fifty four anyway so probably on the top of his payscale.

Yes, I agree he has aged so much since he was caught, I feel a teeny shred of sympathy for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Get Real

Strazdas wrote: »
    On bail? The Gardai and PSNI are refusing to even charge anyone caught by vigilante gangs in this fashion, there has never been such a case before the courts north or south and probably never will be.

Refusing to charge? They don't even decide to charge in cases like this. It would be the DPP that directs a charge.

I commend the UK courts system for the speed in dealing with this. Doubt it would have been so swift here. And the fact it may not even have made it to our courts due to issues the DPP may find around entrapment and the chain of evidence kept by these vigilantes.

A good look at the legal system is warranted but this case only highlights an array of cases in Ireland where there is frustration over a direction of no charge, and countless technicalities that allow for appeals and money for legal aid and the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

tretorn wrote: »

Yes, I agree he has aged so much since he was caught, I feel a teeny shred of sympathy for him.

Not only did he go to Leeds with two boxes of condoms in his bag to meet a 13 year old, he was found with loads of child abuse images on his pc, and had been blackmailing real children for naked pics.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

I wonder why some of the other people 'stung' by similar groups in the same way are let off, especially by Gardai

Irelands grooming laws are pretty recent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭Dr Brown

Not only did he go to Leeds with two boxes of condoms in his bag to meet a 13 year old, he was found with loads of child abuse images on his pc, and had been blackmailing real children for naked pics.

If it was up to me I'd have him put down.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,949 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Get Real wrote: »
    Refusing to charge? They don't even decide to charge in cases like this. It would be the DPP that directs a charge.

I commend the UK courts system for the speed in dealing with this. Doubt it would have been so swift here. And the fact it may not even have made it to our courts due to issues the DPP may find around entrapment and the chain of evidence kept by these vigilantes.

A good look at the legal system is warranted but this case only highlights an array of cases in Ireland where there is frustration over a direction of no charge, and countless technicalities that allow for appeals and money for legal aid and the system.

You'll be interested to hear that three vigilantes or self styled "paedophile hunters" were charged in Belfast today with offences such as false imprisonment, intimidation, attempted intimidation and common assault.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-43356565

Interesting to see that the authorities in Northern Ireland don't just view 'evidence' gathered by the vigilantes as completely inadmissible but that their activities are criminal and illegal - these charges seem to relate to a number of people they went after, not just one.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Brilliant how quickly the UK Courts dealt with this case , he would be still out on bail in Ireland

He was refused bail because he was not a UK citizen which might have required a difficult extradition process of he refused to travel back for court.

We do similar for non Irish nationals charged here.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭ElectraX

anna080 wrote: »
    Untrue. His mother is in a nursing home.

His mother died in 2015. Death notice is on rip. Ie

• Registered Users Posts: 12,183 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Omackeral wrote: »
    He's a dirty yoke and all but he didn't actually abuse anyone, thankfully.

Reminds me of a line from a comedian I heard.

"You get life in jail for murder, but only a few years for attempted murder. Why should you get a lighter sentence just because you were shlt at it?"

His intent was to molest a little girl. Why should he get a lighter sentence just because he failed?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

You can't convict people on what they might do.

You might pick up a shovel, and cave someone's skull in, but we don't imprison you for it.

So the police can't arrest someone on their way to murder someone, even if they have evidence that they are planning on doing it?? Shure, they might NOT do it so we won't arrest them. Catch a grip of yourself.

Omackeral wrote: »
    Oh I know. What I meant was he didn't physically abuse anyone and that's a bloody good thing. We know he's a grubby, dangerous, predatory f*cker and I'm glad he got caught and nobody was hurt. He looks like he knows he's ruined his life too. Delighted for the fool and I've no sympathy for him. Wouldn't say let's hang him though, that's a step too far.

We have no way of knowing that. How do we know this was the first girl he ever went to meet up with??

actaphobia wrote: »
    What disturbs me almost as much as his actions is the behavior of these vigilante groups who effectively stalk these predators. There is something disturbing, something that just doesn't sit right, with the almost gleeful satisfaction of seeing someone else's life ruined, albeit self-inflicted. I've seen some of the social media remarks and it is sickening.

I also think it is a class issue - the vigilantes all seem similar in background; certainly they are not middle class

The b@stards!! Catching paedos before they can defile children. And working class b@stards at that. The police should be arresting them for going after middle class gentlemen like poor Kieran. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    In our local newspaper this week (The Anglo Celt) there is a court report of a 32 year old charged with defilment of a 16 year old in a crypt in a graveyard.

18 months suspended.

Your post makes him sound like a necrophiliac :D

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

We have no way of knowing that. How do we know this was the first girl he ever went to meet up with??

I was referring specifically this decoy case where he was exposed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

The b@stards!! Catching paedos before they can defile children. And working class b@stards at that. The police should be arresting them for going after middle class gentlemen like poor Kieran. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Don't mistake criticism of the 'hunters' for defense of the groomer!

No one is denying that this guy is a creep, but do you really think these hunters are out there to "protect the kiddies" ?

They don't give a ****, they are just using this as an excuse to feel self righteous.
    I wonder do they give any money to rape crisis center ? or help victims of child sexual abuse ? - doubt it somehow.

It's like prisoners in prisons have a code - even they hate the peadophile - fine upstanding moral men in there for murder beating up a peadophile - one form of scum attacking another form of scum.

Have you seen the guy who does this ? - he looks like a right dodgy ****, id cross the street if I saw him.

Don't mistake criticism of the 'hunters' for defense of the groomer!

No one is denying that this guy is a creep, but do you really think these hunters are out there to "protect the kiddies" ?

They don't give a ****, they are just using this as an excuse to feel self righteous.
    I wonder do they give any money to rape crisis center ? or help victims of child sexual abuse ? - doubt it somehow.

It's like prisoners in prisons have a code - even they hate the peadophile - fine upstanding moral men in there for murder beating up a peadophile - one form of scum attacking another form of scum.

Have you seen the guy who does this ? - he looks like a right dodgy ****, id cross the street if I saw him.

If he wore a monocle, spoke with a D4/refined English accent and top hat would you find him more palatable??

I couldn't give a shiny shyte if they have a trademarked song and dance that they do every time they catch one of these scumbags.

I don't give money to the RCC and i'm not qualified to help victims of CSA, do you and are you? Doesn't mean I wouldn't stop a rape if I saw one happening. Your line of reasoning is pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭fortwilliam

God that’s an awfully short sentence.

So is that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Red_Wake

There's not a punishment harsh enough for people who abuse kids imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

mad m wrote: »
    I think it’s very lenient of the judge/courts. Think he should of got more in my opinion.

A lot more. Derisory sentence

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chrongen

screamer wrote: »
    Because prisons are busting at the seams. I'd love to farm some of the biggest scumbags out to the biggest **** hole prisons in the world. If they got out alive they'd never ever want to go back.

A proven fallacy. The fact is that the harsher the prison the higher the recidivism.

shamrock55 wrote: »
    Yes but if I was on my way to someone's house with said shovel with the intention to cave someone's head in and got stopped at the door by cops,the crime was going to happen alright it just got stopped

So what should you be charged with then? You haven't actually done anything but you could have done anything from simply threatening the somebody to clattering them once to beating them unconscious to maiming them permanently to murdering them.

Which do you get charged for?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

If he wore a monocle, spoke with a D4/refined English accent and top hat would you find him more palatable??

I couldn't give a shiny shyte if they have a trademarked song and dance that they do every time they catch one of these scumbags.

I don't give money to the RCC and i'm not qualified to help victims of CSA, do you and are you? Doesn't mean I wouldn't stop a rape if I saw one happening. Your line of reasoning is pathetic.

Yes.

So the police can't arrest someone on their way to murder someone, even if they have evidence that they are planning on doing it?? Shure, they might NOT do it so we won't arrest them. Catch a grip of yourself.

Nobody said anything about the cops' ability to intervene in what they suspect to be the commissioning of a crime. We're talking about charges here. You can't charge somebody with murder if the person they are supposed to have murdered is in fact not dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭McCrack

He was refused bail because he was not a UK citizen which might have required a difficult extradition process of he refused to travel back for court.

We do similar for non Irish nationals charged here.

He wasn't refused bail. He was granted bail the morning after his arrest.

He returned for sentence.

You're confusing conspiracy with mens rea

To successfully convict the prosecution must prove mens rea (guilty intention) and actus reus (the act itself)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,979 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

in short no . they will never have my support because it's clear they are not genuinely interested in protecting children. i have heard a few interviews with some of these people on radio over here and to me, they are unable to take any criticism, trot out the same robotic scripted responces and generally have no feeling or conviction when speaking. the police will always get the credit for solving these cases even if they didn't come across the evidence first, as the police are the only legitimate criminal hunters.

shut down alcohol action ireland now! end MUP today!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

I'm only saying these guys shouldnt be looked on as heroes.

Also, don't they realise that by transmitting these videos live they could be damaging the eventual court case ?
    - not to mention of course transmitting an innocent person (if they make a mistaken identity - has happened) would ruin their lives - the good logical facebook users don't exactly stick around for a retraction.

Just give the videos to the police should be the same conviction with that and all the related evidence.

But no, they'd rather fish for social media likes.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,949 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

in short no . they will never have my support because it's clear they are not genuinely interested in protecting children. i have heard a few interviews with some of these people on radio over here and to me, they are unable to take any criticism, trot out the same robotic scripted responces and generally have no feeling or conviction when speaking. the police will always get the credit for solving these cases even if they didn't come across the evidence first, as the police are the only legitimate criminal hunters.

And they've taken to wearing black uniforms / jackets with the name of the vigilante group printed on them. It's so obvious they are trying to set themselves up as some sort of militia or alternative police force.

It's no wonder the PSNI have taken to prosecuting the vigilantes and treating them as criminals. A gang of 8 or 10 people surrounding a person and preventing them from moving for an hour (whilst screaming abuse in their face and live streaming it on Facebook) is clearly a criminal act. Only the police force have the legal right to stop and detain people on the street, absolutely nobody else.

• Advertisement

Strazdas wrote: »
    And they've taken to wearing black uniforms / jackets with the name of the vigilante group printed on them. It's so obvious they are trying to set themselves up as some sort of militia or alternative police force.

It's no wonder the PSNI have taken to prosecuting the vigilantes and treating them as criminals. A gang of 8 or 10 people surrounding a person and preventing them from moving for an hour (whilst screaming abuse in their face and live streaming it on Facebook) is clearly a criminal act. Only the police force have the legal right to stop and detain people on the street, absolutely nobody else.

There is a lot of inaccuracy in this thread

Please look up Criminal Law Act 1997 and in particular Section 4 which permits any person to arrest another that has committed an arrestable offence

Advertisement