Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Space X

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭jogdish

AMKC wrote: »
    Just how many rockets and variants of rockets has Space X got?
    Elon Musk must really be going full steam ahead with this. Why do we not hear anything about it in the mainstream media? IE: Sky, BBC, EURONEWS, RTE etc.
    Because nothing is happening, a falcon putting a sat. in orbit meh done before loads of times, all these new rockets , SN8 exploded and constant delays with SN9 and none of these are anywhere near being usable even for cargo.
    SLS hot fire didn't make the news either. I know it's easy to get sucked into the bubble, my friends are sick of hearing me talk about 'the rocket'

Crew one had media attention, had a specific goal and easy to understand. BBC world news reported SN8 for a few hours that evening, but it honestly makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭FFVII

FFVII wrote: »
    Their does be.

Mainstream media is a lost cause in fairness though.
    It's like complaining the media wont cover everything, there are loads of amazing developments in loads of areas everyday, just cause your one isn't covered does not mean the media is a lost cause.
    Crew was SpaceX's most recent acheivement that you can actually explain to someone, everything else with Starship is not ready for prime time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭FFVII

jogdish wrote: »
    It's like complaining the media wont cover everything, there are loads of amazing developments in loads of areas everyday, just cause your one isn't covered does not mean the media is a lost cause.
    Crew was SpaceX's most recent acheivement that you can actually explain to someone, everything else with Starship is not ready for prime time.
    Brexit and Covid * 4 years.

Anything else you had to go looking to find whats happening in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭Shlippery

Yeah, I'm telling everyone about this but hard to convince em. The belly flop maneouvre is just nuts. Such high pace development and general excitement amidst the pandemic!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8JyvzU0CXU SN9 is huge and it's only a small section of the finished goods.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KycyWcxWTcY <- Starship plumbing and animation of how it lands - real sci-fi stuff.

Elon also casually mentioned that they're hoping to eventually catch it at the launch tower - https://twitter.com/smvllstvrs/status/1344444938591866889

Hopefully the FAA stuff gets sorted, really wanna see the belly flop again

https://twitter.com/ErcXspace <- good twitter for some cool SpaceX renders.

• Advertisement

Can anyone answer me this, so SpaceX , Electron, and Blue Origin to a certain extend all over high quality live streams, twitter updates etc to the public. All of this is not free, so what's in it for them? It's not like any or us are in the market for getting things to orbit and those that are Im guessing you don't have a load of choice in the provider.

Like I'm not complaining but why do they advertise like this? For Musk I assume ego is a large part, ULA, Electron less so

And Mary tweeted she's been asked to evacuate for tomorrow (28/1) also

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Can anyone answer me this, so SpaceX , Electron, and Blue Origin to a certain extend all over high quality live streams, twitter updates etc to the public. All of this is not free, so what's in it for them? It's not like any or us are in the market for getting things to orbit and those that are Im guessing you don't have a load of choice in the provider.

Like I'm not complaining but why do they advertise like this? For Musk I assume ego is a large part, ULA, Electron less so
    Good PR. Petty videos to show where all billions in state aid went. Gotta keep the pork barrels going.

The retail throwaway price for a non-reused SpaceX Falcon Heavy is $150m
    And can put nearly 64 tonnes into LEO.

The volume price of a non-reusable Space Shuttle Main Engine is $145m each.
    SLS uses four of them and Solid Rocket Boosters and can put 69 tonnes into LEO.

Blue Origin still hasn't done anything noteworthy in the getting to orbit game.

Well, at least they put us out of our misery good and early today.

https://www.spacex.com/vehicles/starship/
    Next attempt as early as Monday Feb 1st.

Curiously they've also dragged SN10 out of the highbay!

Edit: https://twitter.com/thejackbeyer/status/1355271960096370688/photo/1

beauty

Didn't hear anything yet but last week they mentioned monday 1/2 might be SN9 hop day, or not. This FAA thing seems odd.

• Advertisement

https://twitter.com/Erdayastronaut/status/1356035080511234053

this is about the best we have to go on..so potentially tomorrow, but yeah, the FAA stuff is bonkers.

That being said, it will be quite impressive to see SN9 take off with SN10 beside it!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,369 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Shlippery wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/Erdayastronaut/status/1356035080511234053

this is about the best we have to go on..so potentially tomorrow, but yeah, the FAA stuff is bonkers.

That being said, it will be quite impressive to see SN9 take off with SN10 beside it!

Are they not worried about it crashing in to it?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,557 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

irishgeo wrote: »

Oh can you imagine. Well at least it would make the news. I have heard some people say the FAA keep delaying it because they do not want Elon Musks Space X to get to Mars first but NASA instead. How true that is I do not know. What have NASA done recently? They seem very quiet.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Well, looks like they're giving it another go today - https://www.spacex.com/vehicles/starship/ 'As early as Feb 2nd'

NASA are ticking along with the Artemis stuff and getting people to the moon again. Think they're waiting on a new Admin as Jim Bridenstine stepped down with Biden taking over. They've the new Perseverance rover due to land on Mars in 2 weeks or so which will be cool.

I guess they're confident in SN9 to land on the button, they seem to have the accuracy down..all the F9 landings on the droneship are more or less pinpoint accuracy aside from the few times they blew up while testing.

Hopefully SN9 can stick the landing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

irishgeo wrote:

The landing pad is a bit further away. So they should be safe enough even if it ends in a RUD

I see Mary got the evac, but high winds and no word on the FAA yet today - I feel another very long NSF live stream sadly ending in a simple cryo test for SN10.

I see Mary got the evac, but high winds and no word on the FAA yet today - I feel another very long NSF live stream sadly ending in a simple cryo test for SN10.

https://twitter.com/wapodavenport/status/1356566130056433664

Hot off the press 30 seconds or so ago.

Hopefully the weather cooperates!

oh wow cool!, so lets think what else will go wrong :)
    High Winds, range violation, depress vents 30,20,5,1 and 10 sec before launch :)

Kidding hope she flies and sticks the landing!

The latest tweet from Davenport, is interesting - Seems space X didn't pay attention to the FAA regarding SN8. Which being realistic seems like the most Elon thing ever and explains the childish rage tweet about FAA the last day.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,259 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Advertisement

So far so good...all seems to be on track. Don't think they've a T-0 yet.

Looking forward to this

• Registered Users Posts: 13,636 ✭✭✭✭josip

Just saw that now for the first time, it looks so surreal.
    The maddest thing I've seen since rockets started landing I think.

Ms

Well, looks like they're giving it another go today - https://www.spacex.com/vehicles/starship/ 'As early as Feb 2nd'

NASA are ticking along with the Artemis stuff and getting people to the moon again. Think they're waiting on a new Admin as Jim Bridenstine stepped down with Biden taking over. They've the new Perseverance rover due to land on Mars in 2 weeks or so which will be cool.

Yes that will be cool.
    I actually thought it was happening last week lol there was a preview thing on You-Tube about it but it was only when I went to watch that I realised what it was and was dissapointed. Any chance of it getting there a day earlier than planned? That would be great. Looking forward to it anyway.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

AMKC wrote: »
    Yes that will be cool.
    I actually thought it was happening last week lol there was a preview thing on You-Tube about it but it was only when I went to watch that I realised what it was and was dissapointed. Any chance of it getting there a day earlier than planned? That would be great. Looking forward to it anyway.

Was supposed to be last week but there were issues with FAA (flight authorities) - resolved now.

Should within the next 90 minutes or so all going well, but jus a guess, these test flights are ...very changeable. You gotta learn not to get your hopes up til the bloody thing leaves the ground.

edit:
    https://twitter.com/nextspaceflight/status/1356683171086041090 potentially 45 minutes or so...maybe 8pm!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

About 10 mins to go

• Registered Users Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

Ah well, SN10 had a great view and should learn from that RUD :)

SN10 is probably ****ting itself after that.

Awesome to watch though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

Looked like engine 2 didn't light, engine 1 did have a better burn this time on landing I think (no green exhaust).

Ms

Awe what an ending but that was awesome. I think it came down too fast.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭Mrmoe

Definitely had a tendency to lean :D

Advertisement