Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Frederick St protest and reaction

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,625 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

seamus wrote: »
    It probably feels sinister because there are cultural connotations in Ireland about the balaclava.

This doesn't exist in other countries. It's SOP for police units where necessary to wear balaclavas to protect themselves from revenge attacks. It might looks sinister, but it does the job. The Gardai use them all the time.

As has been mentioned, the Gardai do not carry out evictions. Their purpose was to ensure that there were no public order incidents while the eviction was happening. The landlord would have notified the Gardai that this was happening, and the Gardai would have decided if attendance was necessary. It's not standard for evictions, but they will usually provide support if the landlord requests it.
    The Gardai's duty while there is protect everyone, not just the people carrying out the eviction. Heavy-handed landlords have in the past been arrested for assault while carrying out an eviction with Garda support.

There is no law that compels a person to expose their face in public, the hired goons are perfectly entitled to cover their face while in public and while in the property.

The legislation covering security services, does not apply to this kind of activity. The hired goons carrying out the eviction are not required to have any training nor carry any ID.
    No front reg either though which is a bit weird

• Registered Users Posts: 4,797 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

And righties don't seem to get the concept of having a housing and rental bubble, they'll be well able to bitch afterwards though of course

The housing bubble is not going to be resolved by some leftie government requisitioning property that does not belong to them. The Nazis tried that in Berlin in the 30's with Jewish properties and see how that ended up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭jobbridge4life

The housing bubble is not going to be resolved by some leftie government requisitioning property that does not belong to them. The Nazis tried that in Berlin in the 30's with Jewish properties and see how that ended up.

So the options are a. do nothing or b. Nazis...?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

NuMarvel wrote: »
    The court order was issued to the occupiers to vacate the premises. Non-compliance with that becomes a matter for the Gardaí or other state officers, not private individuals.

But evictions like these or from houses has always been done by private officers,and not the Garda ,
    When the Gardai are asked to attend they are used to keep the peace and deter trouble makers .

I certainly don't want to see the Gardai been used for standard everyday evictions ,how many would be taken off normal duties for evictions which would invoke more more protests about breaching civil rights ,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

Lux23 wrote: »
    Oh, I thought private landlords were such victims that court orders were never enforced for them?

F**K the landlord, and f**ck every C**t that defends them. Sick of it.
    knipex wrote: »
    You are either woefully ignorant of what occurred or a troll.

If someone occupied your house, and you went to the cost of going to court and getting an eviction order woudl you not expect it to be enforced ??

You didn't answer the question Lux. And when you say "fuck the landlord", does that just apply to this landlord or all landlords?
    Fuck an individual for owning property in a perfectly legal manner but hooray for people illegally squatting in someone else's property?:confused:

• Advertisement

So the options are a. do nothing or b. Nazis...?

its is nobody's business what people do with their properties as long as they stick to the by-laws of the area in question.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

I’d hate to be a Garda - you’re damned if you do, damned if you don’t.

It seems the ‘have everything, pay for nothing’ brigade has now extended its remit ‘do whatever we want and get away with it’ and frankly it’s pathetic.

Fredrick’s Street is some one’s private property and it’s up to them how they use it. It is as simple as that.

And I don’t blame the Gardai for a moment for hiding their faces, they have a right to be protected.

The government built 4,000 social houses already this year, too much if you ask me.
    Where did you get that figure?

780 social houses were built in 2017, only 197 of which were in Dublin. That is a desperately low figure.

I find it extremely difficult to believe that local authorities built 4,000 units so far this year, I think you're fairly seriously mistaken there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭knipex

Oh, I thought private landlords were such victims that court orders were never enforced for them?

And then people wonder why landlords and pulling out of the market an they cannot find places to rent..

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Gatling wrote: »
    But evictions like these or from houses has always been done by private officers,and not the Garda ,
    When the Gardai are asked to attend they are used to keep the peace and deter trouble makers .

I certainly don't want to see the Gardai been used for standard everyday evictions ,how many would be taken off normal duties for evictions which would invoke more more protests about breaching civil rights ,

If people weren't acting the ****ing dick, occupying property they don't own and refusing to leave, even when ordered by the court (more expense they're costing) then the gardai wouldn't have to go out at all.

• Advertisement

its is nobody's business what people do with their properties as long as they stick to the by-laws of the area in question.

So it is everyone elses' business then.

Can I ask though are 'by-laws' part of the 'do nothing' option or are they part of the Nazi hunt for landlords? I'm confused.

If people weren't acting the ****ing dick, occupying property they don't own and refusing to leave, even when ordered by the court (more expense they're costing) then the gardai wouldn't have to go out at all.

If we had a functioning housing market then the Garda wouldn't need to act as the protectors for masked men, driving cars with no reg plate, who through protestors out occassioning injury.

I’d hate to be a Garda - you’re damned if you do, damned if you don’t.
    Not really.

They're not damned if they continue to take the quite correct approach that disputes over private property constitute a civil matter.

I'm of the view that the occupiers of the property should have been removed or penalised by the courts, but not by removed the Gardaí, much less Gardaí wearing balaclavas - whatever happened to policing with the consent of the people?

I for one am not comfortable with a police force operating in that way. Police forces are given tremendous powers, and it's deeply worrying to think they can exercise those privileges in a way that is effectively anonymous, and therefore, pretty much unchecked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭zapitastas

Look like a bunch of rent-a-thugs, which I guess they probably were

41564818_1895805920498501_7692391963072397312_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=542c48eae855221a23bf172de49b1aec&oe=5C36A45B

Looks like some of his old contacts in the uvf got a call. Wonder how the tendering process went

If we had a functioning housing market then the Garda wouldn't need to act as the protectors for masked men, driving cars with no reg plate, who through protestors out occassioning injury.

Very concerned with other peoples possible infringements on the law while openly breaking the law..........

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,625 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Except when the banks, developers need to be bailed out again.. then its different. Then the state should help.

There wont be too many screaming to let the market take its course then

zapitastas wrote: »
    Looks like some of his old contacts in the uvf got a call. Wonder how the tendering process went

At least read the thread ffs. Someone already made the same stupid "observation" ages ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Not really.

They're not damned if they continue to take the quite correct approach that disputes over private property constitute a civil matter.

I'm of the view that the occupiers of the property should have been removed or penalised by the courts, but not by removed the Gardaí, much less Gardaí wearing balaclavas - whatever happened to policing with the consent of the people?

I for one am not comfortable with a police force operating in that way. Police forces are given tremendous powers, and it's deeply worrying to think they can exercise those privileges in a way that is effectively anonymous, and therefore, pretty much unchecked.

The courts and legal system apply the law of the people. Are you saying we should change our legal system so as that it should only apply where 100% of the people are in agreement with?

And that the people can chose the laws they wish to adhere to, and if they ignore it, there should be not method to enforce that law?

The gardai didn't do anything anonymously, the ones in the photos can be identified.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Where did you get that figure?

780 social houses were built in 2017, only 197 of which were in Dublin. That is a desperately low figure.

I find it extremely difficult to believe that local authorities built 4,000 units so far this year, I think you're fairly seriously mistaken there.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.thejournal.ie/housing-4-3965798-Apr2018/%3famp=1

Diving into the figures. a total of 4,969 new social housing units will be actually built this year (about 2,700 more than last year).

Very concerned with other peoples possible infringements on the law while openly breaking the law..........

Yes. I am more concerned about masked members of AGS turning up to support the violent eviction of peaceful (albiet illegal) protestors, than with a group of students occuyping an abandoned Georgian house during a housing crisis.

If you're not, then your prioties are badly askew.

• Advertisement

So it is everyone elses' business then.

Can I ask though are 'by-laws' part of the 'do nothing' option or are they part of the Nazi hunt for landlords? I'm confused.

I cannot do anything about your confusion, Jobbridge for life.

I cannot do anything about your confusion, Jobbridge for life.

No, I didn't really think you could, since you seem to be completely oblivious to the confusion and hysteria of your own position.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Not really.

Where are you getting your information?

Can you point out your source for the activists being removed from the property by Gardaí?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

They did.
    I'm of the view that the occupiers of the property should have been removed or penalised by the courts, but not by removed the Gardaí, much less Gardaí wearing balaclavas
    You'll be glad to know then that the Gardai didn't remove anyone.
    No front reg either though which is a bit weird
    Left the rear one on though, so probably just an oversight, e.g. it fell off and they never bothered replacing it. If they were trying to hide something, they would have taken both off.

It'd be easy to make the mistake that because some hired goons are wearing masks that they're a well organised force. Probably just Joe and Mick and a few mates with a battered aul van who've done some heavy lifting in the past. Not savvy paramilitaries.

Gardai should have issued a FCPN, but that's about all they can do.

Yes. I am more concerned about masked members of AGS turning up to support the violent eviction of peaceful (albiet illegal) protestors, than with a group of students occuyping an abandoned Georgian house during a housing crisis.

If you're not, then your prioties are badly askew.

Have a read of the thread there like a good lad and you'll see plenty of reasons the gards might not want their faces shown.

Everyone is peaceful until they're not...... (and they they blame the gardai, like they're supposed to stand there looking at them for months on end until they decide they are good and ready to leave. But also the gardai should be tackling all the other crime too)

Hurrache wrote: »
    The courts and legal system apply the law of the people. Are you saying we should change our legal system so as that it should only apply where 100% of the people are in agreement with?

And that the people can chose the laws they wish to adhere to, and if they ignore it, there should be not method to enforce that law?
    That has absolutely nothing to do with what i said, and I've no idea where you got that notion.

Policing with consent is not just some empty rhetoric that I came up with, it is a well-known principle in policing that describes the trust and consent afforded to an accountable, transparent civil police force.
    https://www.google.com/amp/www.thejournal.ie/housing-4-3965798-Apr2018/%3famp=1

Diving into the figures. a total of 4,969 new social housing units will be actually built this year (about 2,700 more than last year).
    so you're wrong then.

That's the projected number of builds for the whole year, which have always been way behind target so far, most of which relate to construction by private builders under their social housing commitments, not local authority builds.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Are you capable of looking beyond your nose?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭zapitastas

At least read the thread ffs. Someone already made the same stupid "observation" ages ago.

Calm down there buddy

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

How was it violent exactly? Are you just making things up?

Gardaí have said that the eviction was peaceful: https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/gardai-say-removal-of-protesters-by-men-in-balaclavas-was-a-peaceful-eviction-37308796.html

A couple of activists went to hospital due to injuries while being arrested by Gardaí, this was not part of the eviction, but due to public order offences outside the property.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Mod: Lux23 on a short holiday and won't be posting here again. Please stop replying to their posts.

Advertisement