Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Now Ye're Talking - to a Bankrupt Student

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭JimFin

Well done firstly on keeping focused and on having the courage to go back to college.

What is family life like now, can you go for a family holiday? Any 'luxuries' at all?

When things were going well back in the good days were you/your family used to a high standard of living?

You said that Electronic Eng. caught your interest on the open night, do you still feel this was the course for you? Was it something you were always interested in?

Best of luck - hope the future is good to you and that one day you can look back on it all while enjoying better fortune.

• Company Representative Posts: 32 Verified rep I'm a bankrupt student, AMA

JimFin wrote: »
    Well done firstly on keeping focused and on having the courage to go back to college.

What is family life like now, can you go for a family holiday? Any 'luxuries' at all?

When things were going well back in the good days were you/your family used to a high standard of living?

You said that Electronic Eng. caught your interest on the open night, do you still feel this was the course for you? Was it something you were always interested in?

Best of luck - hope the future is good to you and that one day you can look back on it all while enjoying better fortune.

No major luxuries. The wife spent her unfair dismissal money on a trip to florida with kids. That was before the crash. When the crash happened we cut back immensely. She's driving a 2010 car, it's hers so not in my assets, we live in a mid terrace house. Simple belongings. I'm glad though as it simplifies the asset search for me. I'm not Sean Dunne, I don't have assets all over the place with stuff to be accounted for.
    I was a shop manager who took over the business, not a high flying businessman.

Now, off to do some work, back later

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭wyf437gn6btzue

Kudos to you for talking about it so openly, I have three questions.

Do you think if you had of been harder with customers and paid yourself first you would of got a better outcome?

Also has your attitude towards how you view money changed?

What advice would you give a current business owner in regards avoiding going bust?

Kudos to you for talking about it so openly, I have three questions.

Do you think if you had of been harder with customers and paid yourself first you would of got a better outcome?

Also has your attitude towards how you view money changed?

What advice would you give a current business owner in regards avoiding going bust?

1. Not really. The area I was in died, the council had traffic wardens running around and scaring people away. The place died. I was in a row of about 8 businesses. I was the second last one to close/change hands.
    Some of the businesses changed hands multiple times and I was practically last man standing.

2. I hate money! I used to walk down the road with 20 grand stuck in my jacket. 5 grand stuck in my sock. Now I don't care about money. As long as I have what I need, I am happy.

3. Dont over extend yourself. If business is bad, and advice is to close, then do it. I kept my place open as there were developments in the area that would have caused the place to go mental. Delays, recession, and objections buried it. Ultimately, I was left with nothing. I didnt stiff anyone, I called in my suppliers by arrangement and paid them. The only one left unpaid was the landlord (me) and ultimately the vulture fund.

It was a release when they appointed a receiver. It forced me to do what I had to do.

I got a text today, someone recognised me. !

Hey OP. I truely admire your courage energy and positivity. This experience can’t have been easy on you and your family.

Where do you get your resilience from?

• Advertisement

Hey OP. I truely admire your courage energy and positivity. This experience can’t have been easy on you and your family.

Where do you get your resilience from?

I had no choice, I was trapped. Started taking no crap at the end. A guy came in and was abusive. I dropped him.

I was tired. Mentally and physically. Out from 6am until 9pm. It did effect my family. Good riddance. For a long time after, I could not even go into a shop to buy something. The wife would say "let's go shopping". I would ask her did she really want me to go to a shop.....

Now all I want is a quiet life. My health is not great, but I have to keep going.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,031 ✭✭✭✭neris

From a business point of view do you think Ireland is a good place to do business and be a small business owner?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Very good post. It seems to be perfect time to upskill in this period as your earnings are seriously limited. I wouldn't bother playing lotto for a while. Best of luck with it all.

neris wrote: »
    From a business point of view do you think Ireland is a good place to do business and be a small business owner?
    No. Not unless you have a niche that is very much in demand.
    JoeyJJ wrote: »
    Very good post. It seems to be perfect time to upskill in this period as your earnings are seriously limited. I wouldn't bother playing lotto for a while. Best of luck with it all.

The only people who will be unpaid are credit cards and the vulture fund. We are both retraining and while things are extremely tight, we do have an end game.

If I got a big job offer tomorrow (some chance), that would increase my earnings above the threshold and trigger a payment plan lasting 3 years I believe.

For me, and my families future, I need to stay in education, get properly qualified, and get back out there. 7 months is not a long time to wait to exit bankruptcy. If I qualify my course next June, I can then sit down and decide what to do next.

The college I am attending is super. They told me they look warmly on mature students as they add some maturity to the group. It is true as well! The amount of times I have calmed someone down by using cop-on, knowing that that will not happen blah blah.

I cannot praise the college enough

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Good man, you went through the ****ter and worked hard, relax and best of luck upskilling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

I have no question that hasn't been answered already.

So, I just want to say, well done for getting through that difficult stage and best of luck in the future with the studies and new career. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Are you enjoying much of the college craic? Class parties, hanging out at classmate's houses with a big pizza box infront of you and a few cans? Did you join any societies?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Cupatae

Not a hope in hell! It affected my health, my family and my sanity.

it sounds like a rough ordeal! fair play for coming thru that, since you realised going by the book wasnt working was there no other way other than bankruptcy ?

Did you ever think about pulling pin, selling your house, gaining as much money as possible, bailing to another country and then going back declaring bankruptcy when the writing was on the wall? as to preserve as much money as possible?

Are you enjoying much of the college craic? Class parties, hanging out at classmate's houses with a big pizza box infront of you and a few cans? Did you join any societies?

Not really. My college has a society for this and a society for that, but I still have a house to run at home. My wife, as mentioned above, is doing a degree but she is dyslexic, so when I get home, I have to assist her with her essays and typing. On the last day of exams, I did go on a bender with a couple of them. Wimps couldnt keep up! I am also a volunteer in an organisation, so sometimes I dont have five minutes to myself. Studying for me is getting up at 4am when the house is silent. Its a big juggling act. I am actually the man of two houses, the second being a widow relative. I have huge maintenance work to do in both places. Kinda hard when when you are smashed.

Cupatae wrote: »
    it sounds like a rough ordeal! fair play for coming thru that, since you realised going by the book wasnt working was there no other way other than bankruptcy ?

Did you ever think about pulling pin, selling your house, gaining as much money as possible, bailing to another country and then going back declaring bankruptcy when the writing was on the wall? as to preserve as much money as possible?

I had to go the bankruptcy route. There was no other option. The family home is supposed to be protected and with it being in negative equity, it has a zero value at present. At present, my half of the family home is technically held by the Insolvency Service, if after three years it has equity, we have to buy it back. I understand if there is no equity, they offer it to my wife for a nominal sum of 5 grand perhaps.

Things may be coming down the line in years to come, so I had to draw a line under this whole situation. Bailing the country is not an option. I was upped and moved countries when I was young and it is not a great idea for children.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Redser87

I don't have any questions OP but best of luck and fair play for doing this.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Do you find it easier to mix with fellow students than your wife does, or is there any difference?

Thanks for doing the AMA.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

Redser87 wrote: »
    I don't have any questions OP but best of luck and fair play for doing this.

Thanks, it has been tough.
    blue5000 wrote: »
    Do you find it easier to mix with fellow students than your wife does, or is there any difference?

Thanks for doing the AMA.
    I'm a full time student while the wife is part time. She would do coffee and whatever "with the girls" while I am just to busy. I did have a guy stay over in mine during the big snow and we did do a big revision session and drinks after, but in general, not really.
    I like to think out of the box, and with my memory not being great, I may try and move someone in Monday to Friday as a study buddy. I have fellow students travelling 50 miles to college, so a free ensuite, 5 mins from college may be a good trade. Danger is, beers after the study. ��

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

Just want to say a big thank you to this guest for answering some great and maybe difficult questions. I'm going to wrap this one up now, thanks all :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement