Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Shooting at Bray Boxing Club, 1 killed, 2 seriously injured...

• 05-06-2018 9:13am

http://www.thejournal.ie/bray-shooting-2-4053140-Jun2018/

Three men have been taken to hospital in a "serious condition" following an early morning shooting at Bray Boxing Club, one of them "critical".

The shooter(s) reportedly fled in a silver/white van with "British number plates".

Newstalk are discussing it as gangland-related.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭White lighting

Pete Taylor one of the three shot. One man dead. I wonder has this any connection to Petes relationship with the extremely controversial boxing gym/team MKM

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

Pete Taylor one of the three shot. One man dead. I wonder has this any connection to Petes relationship with the extremely controversial boxing gym/team MKM

Remember this

https://independent.ie/irish-news/news/i-can-train-who-i-want-says-pete-taylor-after-kinahan-boxer-link-revealed-35983399.html

"I can train who I want"....

• Registered Users Posts: 15,279 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

English reg van apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Boxing seems to attract the scummiest of people. Even though I'd have a passing interest in would never attend a fight night in Ireland.

DellyBelly wrote: »
    Boxing seems to attract the scummiest of people. Even though I'd have a passing interest in would never attend a fight night in Ireland.

It’s an awful thing for all the decent people involved in boxing who wouldn’t want any part of this. Katie Taylor and her mother have been deeply hurt by the actions of her father versus the Christian values and principles he allegedly held. Seems by the looks of things he mixed with some unsavoury people. Very distressing for Katie and her family, and for all in boxing who are disciplined athletes in it for the sport and want nothing of this in their lives.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Gangland thread here too if you’re interested.

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057832446/1

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Boxing seems to attract travellers, criminals, and league of Ireland supporters.

Omackeral wrote: »
    Gangland thread here too if you’re interested.

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057832446/1

I didn't know there was a gangland thread already when I made this thread. Maybe this one is unnecessary then, if the mods want to do something about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,621 ✭✭✭✭josip

Was Pete Taylor a target this morning, a bystander or intervened because it was one of his guys getting shot?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

DellyBelly wrote: »
    Bray Boxing seems to attract the scummiest of people.

FYP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The Taylors were very quiet about the reason why Katie dropped Pete as her coach.

I wonder did she see him getting involved with a certain type of crowd and decide that she didn't need that distraction.

In terms of boxing "attracting" scum, I think it's more of a correlation thing than causation. Boxing as a sport is relatively cheap, and is popular in working-class areas as a place for troubled kids to get out their anger and learn some self-control. Your chances of "success" in boxing are also considerably better than something like soccer.
    In middle and upper-class areas, fighting other people for sport is considered low-brow, so they pay to see poor people beat eachother up rather than get involved themselves.

Of course nothing is a magic bullet and a kid who starts boxing to try and turn his troubled life around, is probably just going to be a troubled kid who's good at boxing. And he knows other troubled kids, and probably has family who are similar. And so a hotbox of criminality builds up around the boxing club. Even if it's not the main trainers getting involved, there are people using and hanging around the club who are involved in criminal activity.

The description of a white van with UK reg plates suggest it was probably a traveller gang who carried out this shooting.

My sympathies with Katie Taylor who seems like a genuine person, and regardless of anything her Dad may or may not have done I'm sure she's climbing the walls right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

He that got a teenager pregnant. I don't know about gangland

• Registered Users Posts: 13,621 ✭✭✭✭josip

RTE have said that a 57 year old was injured which would match Pete Taylor's age.
    The 30 year old has died.

https://www.rte.ie/news/crime/2018/0605/968211-bray/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Boxing seems to attract travellers, criminals, and league of Ireland supporters.

All best avoided:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭nowaynever

FYP

Ah, you live there then?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

seamus wrote: »
    The Taylors were very quiet about the reason why Katie dropped Pete as her coach.

I wonder did she see him getting involved with a certain type of crowd and decide that she didn't need that distraction.

In terms of boxing "attracting" scum, I think it's more of a correlation thing than causation. Boxing as a sport is relatively cheap, and is popular in working-class areas as a place for troubled kids to get out their anger and learn some self-control. Your chances of "success" in boxing are also considerably better than something like soccer.
    In middle and upper-class areas, fighting other people for sport is considered low-brow, so they pay to see poor people beat eachother up rather than get involved themselves.

Of course nothing is a magic bullet and a kid who starts boxing to try and turn his troubled life around, is probably just going to be a troubled kid who's good at boxing. And he knows other troubled kids, and probably has family who are similar. And so a hotbox of criminality builds up around the boxing club. Even if it's not the main trainers getting involved, there are people using and hanging around the club who are involved in criminal activity.

The description of a white van with UK reg plates suggest it was probably a traveller gang who carried out this shooting.

My sympathies with Katie Taylor who seems like a genuine person, and regardless of anything her Dad may or may not have done I'm sure she's climbing the walls right now.

Ask Katie's mother why and you'll get the real answer. I don't think it's Pete's company as much as his behavior that's the problem.

nowaynever wrote: »
    Ah, you live there then?

My advisors are torn between me keeping my nukes for strategic purposes in case Kim Jong Jong Un needs a straightener, or just going ahead and nuking Bray at the behest of the Irish government (and UN)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,386 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

FYP

Stupid comment, this is gangland crap, nothing to do with Bray.

murpho999 wrote: »
    Stupid comment, this is gangland crap, nothing to do with Bray.

And what has it to do with boxing as a sport?

Or League of Ireland supporters? - None of whom would be let darken the door of any remotely respectable club :pac:

And what has it to do with boxing as a sport?

Or League of Ireland supporters? - None of whom would be let darken the door of any remotely respectable club :pac:

There are alleged connections between Pete Taylor, who is now confirmed as shot and members of the Kinahan family that he coached there.

No need to spread crap about a whole town.

This is to do with one individual and the choices he made.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,743 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

seamus wrote: »

Ffs

You do know, this may come as a surprise, that anyone can buy a white van?

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭dbas

P.Walnuts wrote: »
    Ffs

I've one to sell. Northern plates. Need gone very fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

P.Walnuts wrote: »
    Ffs

Or rather steal one which is what usually happens for a shooting.

• Site Banned Posts: 23 Skobey_brady

In defence of travellers, they genuinely love the sport and in my opinion the best travellers are the ones who are into boxing

murpho999 wrote: »
    There are alleged connections between Pete Taylor, who is now confirmed as shot and members of the Kinahan family that he coached there.

No need to spread crap about a whole town.

This is to do with one individual and the choices he made.

First up, it's called a joke.

(That sentence could refer to the content of my post, or the town itself)

Second, even if you autistically took it literally, it not say anything bad about the town, only that it attracted certain categories. I did not say that all, many, or any of the people in that town were belonging to those categories.

I also didn't say that they weren't though :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭tomofson

Either related to the Hutch kinahan feud or traveller feud, your guess is as good as mine at this stage.

Most likely Hutch kinahan, didn't the hutches use vans like that in a previous high profiled attack.

Someone mentioned a name on journal.ie regarding the deceased, name doesn't ring any bells regarding organized crime.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

In defence of travellers, they genuinely love the sport and in my opinion the best travellers are the ones who are into boxing

They’ve represented this country at the Olympic Games also, that’s only to be commended.

Another Hutch hit (obvious by the fact the target wasn’t the one who was killed).

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

tomofson wrote: »
    Either related to the Hutch kinahan feud or traveller feud, your guess is as good as mine at this stage.

Most likely Hutch kinahan, didn't the hutches use vans like that in a previous high profiled attack.

Someone mentioned a name on journal.ie regarding the deceased, name doesn't ring any bells regarding organized crime.

Deceased rumoured to be innocent and got caught in the crossfire. I have not idea how reliable that information is.

• Advertisement

Deceased rumoured to be innocent and got caught in the crossfire. I have not idea how reliable that information is.

That's what I'm hearing too.

A guy who was there for "boxercise"just opened the door and was shot.

That's why I never agree with people saying that it's ok for "scumbags to obliterate each other". Too many people innocent people are being caught up in it.
    Imagine the trauma of bystanders there this morning if any.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement