Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Eurovision 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,276 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

The reception for Ireland's first rehearsal has been pretty lukewarm. I thought it was a good idea bringing the dancers from the video but seems it hasn't been going down too well. Probably not gonna be helped being followed by Cyprus either. Still, they've got time to improve things.

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭Amik

The reception for Ireland's first rehearsal has been pretty lukewarm. I thought it was a good idea bringing the dancers from the video but seems it hasn't been going down too well. Probably not gonna be helped being followed by Cyprus either. Still, they've got time to improve things.

We can't see how it looks on-screen yet but in the single shot rehearsal videos the dancers are very distracting -- the focus should be on Ryan and his guitar.

The made-up story about Russia banning the video has come back to haunt the delegation, too.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,276 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Amik wrote: »
    We can't see how it looks on-screen yet but in the single shot rehearsal videos the dancers are very distracting -- the focus should be on Ryan and his guitar.

The made-up story about Russia banning the video has come back to haunt the delegation, too.

Yeah, that was silly. Although one point I saw made today is that he'll be marked down quite a bit by the Eastern European juries, which I do think is true. Conchita received low scores from a lot of those juries, but was buffered by the higher televote scores.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

I finally placed a small E/W outright bet on FYR Macedonia. Got 300/1! :)

giphy.gif

Plan to do a few Semi Final qualifying bets tomorrow.

Fook 300/1 e/w is fine, thought max was 250. Top 10 of course is the more practical option. Whilst there is only 3places (as opposed to 4 for final) in the SF's it's half-the field so to speak with France etc exempt.

i)Top10 for the Macadians, can also be used as part of accumulator. That way only very small stakes only are ever involved. Single novelty markets always need an air of caution with them.

Reckon Real Madrid will take the title, much to the disapoitment of LFC soccerball fans, who ii). May beat Roma 3-1 later today), and ii) Ali Carter will smash it over in the snooker balls etc. That's a 3,500/1 treble there.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,816 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Cyprus's rehearsal was a big surprise. Our poor Ryan has to run off stage immediately after his performance to avoid getting burned by Eleni's fire. :D
    Her song is a bit too contemporary for me though.

Zero chatter about Australia here. What does everyone think of their odds? Her song is a bit too Disney-ish for me.

Also realized Italy has been completely quiet. No pre-party appearances even?
    I saw a few things on wiwibloggs about Australia rehearsal....it was not complimentary at all....

Are poland at 12/1 for top 10 a really bad bet?

• Advertisement

gmisk wrote: »

Not bad at all in my opinion. I did the same bet but at 10/1. Rehearsal OK and it's one of the more lively songs in Semi Final 2. Gromee's snake dance should be a meme hit. :)

Bit of controversy surrounding Sweden after an interview where he disrespected several acts, even our beloved Macedonia (claiming she passed wind in the official video)!!! Wiwibloggs have taken the video down but thanks to the Internet it lives on...

https://twitter.com/LarisaHelenaa/status/989589455903260673

Seems like an annoying guy you'd run into at Coppers. :P

giphy.gif

Not bad at all in my opinion. I did the same bet but at 10/1. Rehearsal OK and it's one of the more lively songs in Semi Final 2. Gromee's snake dance should be a meme hit. :)

Bit of controversy surrounding Sweden after an interview where he disrespected several acts, even our beloved Macedonia (claiming she passed wind in the official video)!!! Wiwibloggs have taken the video down but thanks to the Internet it lives on...

https://twitter.com/LarisaHelenaa/status/989589455903260673

Seems like an annoying guy you'd run into at Coppers. :P
    Thats pretty poor form....throwing stones glass houses etc....
    his song sounds "current" apparently and by current I mean a bad Nick Jonas single from 2016.

How dare the Swede boy claim the loverley Marija let one rip (unlikely unless she's a fan of the mighty Guinness), as a result Swe has drifted out from early favourites into 8th place averaging 20/1.

ekpBE0p.png

Nice outfits from the FYROM ladies:

CCdTd31.png

How dare the Swede boy claim the loverley Marija let one rip (unlikely unless she's a fan of the mighty Guinness), as a result Swe has drifted out from early favourites into 8th place averaging 20/1.

ekpBE0p.png

CCdTd31.png
    Good to see it dropping like a stone!
    Tis rubbish!

Go on Macedonia! (and Poland ha)

• Advertisement

This one leaves less to the imagination, Chris Wooden Motorbike. ;)

fa160933152c5c9958d7bc2033303f0f

2nd Rehearsals started today and the clips this time around are using the real camera work:

The stage doesn't look bad at all.

This one leaves less to the imagination, Accumulator. ;)

Of course she should be primarily judged on the funky music, with the looks or staging secondary...

But looks wise, has a bit of similarity to another 'multi-platinum, mult-award winning singer (x33 major nominations, 1/3 of them won) over the last 2yrs.

tO73j2g.png

The Polish tune (from memory) should also qualify for the finals.

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭mimimcmc

Thats pretty poor form....throwing stones glass houses etc....
    his song sounds "current" apparently and by current I mean a bad Nick Jonas single from 2016.

He sounds exactly like Justin Bieber!

mimimcmc wrote: »
    He sounds exactly like Justin Bieber!
    Ah yeah thats a good call as well.
    Its just instantly meh to me.

Ah yeah thats a good call as well.
    Its just instantly meh to me.

I was listening to the eurovision playlist on spotify and actually thought it had ended when this song came on, genuinely thought it was Bieber...

Imagine it was Bieber (Milli Vanill style) and then revealed on the night and go on to win it :o
    Stranger things have happened...

To compensate for the lack of an LED screen this year many acts seem to be using on-screen graphics, including transitions. They look quite slick.

Rybak's graphics are supposed to look very good. May get a chance to see a clip tomorrow.

Completed my betting this afternoon at my local walk-in bookies:

Macedonia Outright E/W - 300/1
    Poland Outright E/W - 350/1
    Macedonia Top 10 - 20/1
    Poland Top 10 - 10/1
    Macedonia to Qualify - 2.5/1
    Slovenia to Qualify - 3/1

Off to pick out a lambo... ;)

Saw this video on the Eurovision Youtube channel, thought it was quite funny:

If only they did some of this with the "official" version, they could have out-Macedonia'ed Macedonia! :pac:

I've been reading that Netta dropped the live looper idea! Maybe she'll fall back from 1st in the betting as a result? Would give Netanyahu a chance to bet on her at 10/1. ;)

Staging looks very sharp with the real camera work:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 CroFag

Happy to see so much hype about the beautiful Macedonian singer (:

How about Franka from Croatia, anybody thinks she might make it to the finals?

CroFag wrote: »

Lots of love for Macedonia's song from die hard ESC fans and casuals. The main concern everyone is chatting about is the staging. From the official rehearsal clips I like what I see but others think it's too chaotic and busy -- mixed feelings about the backing singers, too.

I don't agree with it but some chatter that Marija is in the running for the Barbara Dex Award! NEVER! :D

Croatia is looking and sounding impressive. I'd be confident placing a qualifying and even Top 10 finish bet on her. In my opinion she's looking a better bet than Belgium at the moment.

CroFag wrote: »

I think the studio version is fantastic for Macedonia.....the live clips and staging.....are not promising....hence it is drifting in the betting.

Croatia....they might scrape in, they are in the really tough semi along with Ireland though :(

I think the studio version is fantastic for Macedonia.....the live clips and staging.....are not promising....hence it is drifting in the betting.

Especially in yesterday's 2nd Rehearsal clip the male half Bojan who I'm so jealous gets to hang out with Marija all day is the main vocal in the pre-chorus, which doesn't sound good.

Still have hopes they'll have it all polished up by next week!

Saw this video on the Eurovision Youtube channel, thought it was quite funny:

If only they did some of this with the "official" version, they could have out-Macedonia'ed Macedonia! :pac:

Here's a fun mashup they did with Austria...

Here's a fun mashup they did with Austria...

Love this! but i'm a huge fan of the Austrian song anyway :D

Love this! but i'm a huge fan of the Austrian song anyway :D

+1 Big fan of his song too. Very very impressive rehearsals from Austria. Staging is all focused around him too, which is perfect.

+1 Big fan of his song too. Very very impressive rehearsals from Austria. Staging is all focused around him too, which is perfect.

Ya it was impressive looking alright, only worried that he's gonna change the end of it with a load of high notes...didn't like the notes he was hitting :rolleyes:

Ya it was impressive looking alright, only worried that he's gonna change the end of it with a load of high notes...didn't like the notes he was hitting :rolleyes:

I've been getting all my co-workers to listen to all the songs today. I know it's not scientific but the 3 everyone are highlighting are Croatia, Austria and Macedonia! Really is the tightest race in recent years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 CroFag

I've been getting all my co-workers to listen to all the songs today. I know it's not scientific but the 3 everyone are highlighting are Croatia, Austria and Macedonia! Really is the tightest race in recent years.
    Weee, wo-hoo, thank you Ireland, Merci Irlande xD

Yeah, Franka is very sexy & speaks perfect "Cambridge" English, plus she is a huge eurovision fan, since early childhood (just like me).

Considering it's a good song (in English), feedback from you & the size of Croatian diaspora in the republic, hope we send her many points on Tuesday.

PS. Will root for Irish song on Croatian forums, as it's a nice love ballad with a brave choreography.

Advertisement