Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bill Cosby Guilty

• 26-04-2018 7:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭

https://www.independent.ie/world-news/north-america/bill-cosby-found-guilty-of-drugging-and-molesting-a-woman-36848557.html
    US comedian Bill Cosby has been convicted of drugging and molesting a woman.

A jury outside Philadelphia convicted the Cosby Show star of three counts of aggravated indecent assault.

The guilty verdict came less than a year after another jury was deadlocked on the charges.

Cosby, 80, was charged with assaulting Temple University employee Andrea Constand at his suburban Philadelphia home in 2004.

His lawyer called Ms Constand a "con artist" who levelled false accusations against Cosby so she could sue him.

Cosby could get up to 10 years in prison on each of the counts.

Dozens of women have come forward in recent years to say he drugged and assaulted them. Five of the other accusers testified against him at the retrial.

The panel of seven men and five women reached a verdict after deliberating for 14 hours over two days, vindicating prosecutors' decision to retry the 80-year-old after his first trial ended with a hung jury less than a year ago.

Ms Constand, 45, a former Temple women's basketball administrator, told jurors that Cosby knocked her out with three blue pills he called "your friends" before attacking her.

It was the only criminal case to arise from a barrage of allegations from more than 60 women who said the former TV star drugged and molested them over a span of five decades.

"The time for the defendant to escape justice is over," prosecutor Stewart Ryan said in his closing argument. "It's finally time for the defendant to dine on the banquet of his own consequences."

Another prosecutor, Kristen Feden, said Cosby was "nothing like the image that he played on TV" as sweater-wearing, wisdom-dispensing father of five Dr Cliff Huxtable on The Cosby Show.

Cosby's retrial took place against the backdrop of #MeToo, the movement against sexual misconduct that has taken down powerful men in rapid succession, among them Harvey Weinstein, Matt Lauer, Kevin Spacey and Senator Al Franken.

The jurors all indicated they were aware of #MeToo but said before the trial they could remain impartial. Cosby's lawyers slammed #MeToo, calling Cosby its victim and likening it to a witch hunt or a lynching.

After failing to win a conviction last year, prosecutors had more courtroom weapons at their disposal for the retrial.

The other accusers' testimony helped move the case beyond a he-said, she-said, allowing prosecutors to argue that Cosby was a menace to women long before he met Ms Constand. Only one other accuser was permitted to testify at Cosby's first trial.

Cosby's new defence team, led by Michael Jackson lawyer Tom Mesereau, launched a highly aggressive attack on Constand and the other women.

Their star witness, a long-time Temple employee, testified that Ms Constand once spoke of setting up a prominent person and suing. Ms Constand sued Cosby after prosecutors initially declined to file charges, settling with him for nearly $3.4 million over a decade ago.

"You're dealing with a pathological liar," Mr Mesereau told the jury.

But Cosby himself had long ago confirmed sordid revelations about drugs and extramarital sex.

In a deposition he gave over a decade ago as part of Ms Constand's lawsuit, Cosby acknowledged he had obtained quaaludes to give to women he wanted to have sex with, "the same as a person would say, 'Have a drink.'" The sedative was a popular party drug before the US banned it more than 30 years ago.

Cosby also acknowledged giving pills to Ms Constand before their sexual encounter. But he identified them as the over-the-counter cold and allergy medicine Benadryl and insisted they were meant to help her relax.

The entertainer broke racial barriers as the first black actor to star in a network show, I Spy, in the 1960s. He created the top-ranked Cosby Show two decades later.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

What's the weather forecast?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,846 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Delighted for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

What's the weather forecast?

Very dry

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Now will he get jail is the big Q

• Registered Users Posts: 7,423 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Curious as to how long he gets.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭Brae100

cantdecide wrote: »
    Now will he get jail is the big Q

Definitely, it's not judge Martin Nolan. Sentencing guidelines for that offence is between five and ten years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

0askrzx6414z.jpg

Good to hear though, as the slimy bag of sh** only got off the other case on a technicality.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭daithi1970

..now that Bill Cosby has been done, can Weinstein and Spacey be far behind??

Dirty beggar

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Curious as to how long he gets.

His cell mate will be able to tell you after night 2 or 3 I reckon.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

daithi1970 wrote: »
    ..now that Bill Cosby has been done, can Weinstein and Spacey be far behind??

Kevin Spacey wouldnt be too far behind alright

• Registered Users Posts: 15,279 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Used to love the Cosby show. Hard to watch it now knowing this.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,833 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

How is Cosby and Weinstein not already in prison?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Absolute scumbag. Hope he's in prison until the day he dies, tbh.
    JP Liz V1 wrote: »

It seems that no matter where one is, in the West at least there's one thing absolutely common to all countries: the justice system and trials in general take an absolutely inordinate amount of time before they're even heard in court, never mind actually concluded.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Defunkd

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    A thing called 'due process'. Bill was only found guilty today.
    Harvey has allegations laid against him and police are investigating.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Defunkd

Eddie Murphy spoke of how Cosby criticised him for setting a bad example and being vulgar.smh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

The outtakes hinted at his inner darkness just a tad.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭rafatoni

Where are you Oprah?

Lets be having you.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Straight to the big house with him.hes looking at up to 30 year according to the wireless

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

Straight to the big house with him.hes looking at up to 30 year according to the wireless

Thirty years? I reckon he'll get it reduced to life.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

Hard to watch it now regardless, hasn't been on TV in years

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

One positive thing out of all this is that many states are considering removing the statute of limitations on rape cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Defunkd wrote: »
    Eddie Murphy spoke of how Cosby criticised him for setting a bad example and being vulgar.smh.

He also criticized Lisa Bonet for her x-rated scenes in Angel Heart.

Booted her into a spin off.... she spoke about it at the time in the following clip (from around 3mins in).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,064 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

He is a dirty bastard.
    Those poor victims. Surprised that he is still on bail, but hopefully the sentencing hearing is not too far away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭HappyAsLarE

Did you see that clown speaking to the press saying it was a victory for women. Think she was the solicitor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

I'll never watch the Cosby Show again. Mainly because it was unfunny shite.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,484 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I'll never watch the Cosby Show again. Mainly because it was unfunny ****e.

I haven't watched it in years but I thought it was very good.
    I would still watch it, maybe I be affected by what I know about him now but it's just a great family comedy imo.

I hear it's been pulled by a lot of networks due to his conviction. This is all down to social media unfortunately. I'm totally against pulling something because a person got convicted of crime. Like this is a TV show that makes people laugh. His public life has nothing to do with that.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,268 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

eagle eye wrote: »
    I haven't watched it in years but I thought it was very good.
    I would still watch it, maybe I be affected by what I know about him now but it's just a great family comedy imo.

I hear it's been pulled by a lot of networks due to his conviction. This is all down to social media unfortunately. I'm totally against pulling something because a person got convicted of crime. Like this is a TV show that makes people laugh. His public life has nothing to do with that.

Maybe so, but he'd still be pulling in hefty repeat fees while locked up for being a sex offender. That's not right.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,484 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

What difference does that make? Like he is in all likelyhoid going to be locked up for the rest of his life so it won't help him.
    It might benefit members of his family now or after he is gone and they are not guilty of anything that I'm aware of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

The Hollywood Democrats really need to clean their house.

I think we need to hear from Whoopi Goldberg

Advertisement