Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Toronto

• 23-04-2018 7:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know the Status of the Toronto incident today?
    Is it being treated as an act of Terror?
    Or an Accident?
    Or a Home Grown Nutter?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭housetypeb

Eh?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 300 ✭✭garbo speaks

Sssh! You can't talk about terrorist attacks anymore- everything is perfect in PC Canada :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

These are from twitter; the alleged suspect being arrested and the alleged van that ran over people.

https://ibb.co/cD5hbx
    https://ibb.co/d5mYic

Edit: point made finally.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 300 ✭✭garbo speaks

These are from twitter; the alleged suspect being arrested and the alleged van that ran over people.

Ok, I get it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

https://ibb.co/cD5hbx
    https://ibb.co/d5mYic

Same in the article.

Same in the article.

Same in the article.

Same in the article.

449053.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

I reckon it was a white supremacist KKK Trump supporter.

Trump voters and Brexit voters are partly to blame for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

• Registered Users Posts: 7,423 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Considerable restraint by the police. Imagine their neighbors would have ventilated him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,236 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Or an Accident?
    Or a Home Grown Nutter?

Bill Bratton former NYPD Comm. said his contacts in Toronto said it is viewed as a terror attack, suspect also known to the police.

Another diversity incident.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

very brave cop there

• Registered Users Posts: 2,450 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

I miss the days when you would come across a beaking story like this and be shocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,848 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Or an Accident?
    Or a Home Grown Nutter?

Will all depend on the colour of the attacker's skin.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭stunmer

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Or an Accident?
    Or a Home Grown Nutter?

Will all depend on the colour of the attacker's skin.
    Surely the attacker skin color is irrelevant. Terrorism is about motivation

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Beanntraigheach

I miss the days when you would come across a beaking story like this and be shocked.
    Yep. Not too long ago all the news channels would have been intensively covering this event live.
    I just checked Sky News a moment ago - they're more interested in a woman having squeezed out another sprog.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,825 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Policy chief was on there and I think he said 9 dead and 16 injured

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

BBC reporting 9 people dead

Christ almighty, 9 people killed for doing absolutely nothing other than being in the wrong place at the wrong time. And plenty others with potentially life-changing injuries (broken legs, arms etc). It is infuriating how random something like this is. Terrorism full stop. The motivation for the terrorist is unknown as of yet but an individual who is willing to carry out an act like this does not deserve to walk the streets again or live in any way a comfortable life for their remaining years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭mattser

very brave cop there

WTF is it with the three in the background :eek: ? Sauntering along. I'd be slipping in my own doo doo trying to get out of there fast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

It was a rental truck, so very likely intentional. As per the video it looked like he kept on reaching and pointing to give the impression he had a gun (Suicide by cop). The police man was having none of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

It was a rental truck, so very likely intentional. As per the video it looked like he kept on reaching and pointing to give the impression he had a gun (Suicide by cop). The police man was having none of it.

Yeah that's not nearly as effective in Canada as it would be in the US

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

Damn, for a long time it just mentioned injuries; I was hoping it would stay that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

Only two pages on this and many Irish have family in Toronto. We are becoming desensitized to terror attacks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

backspin. wrote: »
    Only two pages on this and many Irish have family in Toronto. We are becoming desensitized to terror attacks.

For a good few hours the headlines just mentioned injuries. I reckon many don’t realise that people have died.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 915 ✭✭✭2 Scoops

It's terrorism no matter what colour his skin is.

Who said anything about Skin color? Anyway he's been named, Alek Minassian. He was known to Police.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

2 Scoops wrote: »
    Probably terrorism, sounds middle eastern in the car video

another truck of peace.

I've a cousin that works in downtown toronto, haven't heard any word yet but I'm presuming that means she's ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭BabyCheeses

This will be a fun one.

Comes across a bit crazy with the weird stand off with the police. Concerned locals who did what they had to tend to keep it more around a mosque so that looks unlikely. Could always be the classic but they tend to have a plan once they get out of the truck/van. Option 1 and 3 have my bets so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,299 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Along with the 9 already killed; there are also 16 people injured. I hope more people don't die because of this.

The suspect in custody is already well known to authorities in Toronto.
    Attack was known to be deliberate according to police.
    Fire Dept says the van covered between 1/2 a mile and a mile to carry out the attack.

Advertisement