Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Hughs Bridge Improvements

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭north_star_33

Unreal traffic jams over the last few days....
    when is this due to be finished?
    Goes to show you that sligo is badly missing a second big bridge to bring traffic across it.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

This job is going on since October and the amount of delays so far has been minimal. A bit of patience would help. A very well managed project. Contractor has the job price tendered so nothing to do with Sligo coco not willing to pay overtime.
    Try living somewhere like Dublin where big delays are qiute normal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭6781

A lot of the work in recent days could have been done during the night when traffic is lighter.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Gipo3

How do you expect asphalt to be laid at night time? They would be some fools to try and get a perfect finish which is required, when they cant see what they are doing. And lights wont help either. Some people have no idea, just whinging about everything. A bit of patience and it will be done ffs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭6781

Gipo3 wrote: »
    How do you expect asphalt to be laid at night time? They would be some fools to try and get a perfect finish which is required, when they cant see what they are doing. And lights wont help either. Some people have no idea, just whinging about everything. A bit of patience and it will be done ffs.
    It has been done many times before with no problems, just more expensive. The reason it's not been done here is down to contracts and planning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭T-Bird

Most motorway repairs are done at night to avoid traffic delays and stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Gipo3

T-Bird wrote: »
    Most motorway repairs are done at night to avoid traffic delays and stuff.

This isn't a repair.

That wasnt the point, perhaps should have elaborated more, as in build and repair?

Either way is the principle not the same, as in they remove the surface and then relay?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Tbh, I have found it grand before 8am, and after 8pm.

:D

Seen them working at 8.30 yesterday evening. Final rush must be on.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭sligono1

As I mentioned in post #60 on the same stretch of road a few years ago at the rosses point junction asphalt was laid at night.I don't think McCaffertys from ballintra who done the job are fools only a very experienced firm at laying blacktop.there was nothing wrong with the job they done there night or day if you have the expertise job will be done.
    It's such a small stretch to Asphalt it should be wiped out and no major tie ins either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Carson10

Am I the only one who does not see any difference to the Hughes Bridge with the works they have done. I know they they widened the bridge, but it just seems to be a foot path double the width now either side and the lane size remains the same.

I thought there would be a feeder lane coming up form the quay turning left for Bundoran, but that now doesn't look likely as the footpath juts out on the corner?

Carson10 wrote: »
    Am I the only one who does not see any difference to the Hughes Bridge with the works they have done. I know they they widened the bridge, but it just seems to be a foot path double the width now either side and the lane size remains the same.

I thought there would be a feeder lane coming up form the quay turning left for Bundoran, but that now doesn't look likely as the footpath juts out on the corner?

I thought similar, despite following this tread and some of the information from the CoCo website, untill went over it a few times. There does seem to be room for 3 lanes south bound. Unfortunately the 3 north bound lanes do converge into just 2 at the junction for Markavche Rd. Unfortunately even more, as already commented on, there seems to be no plans for the new north bound lane, as its segregated by a double yellow. The talk is this lane will be opened when road improvements are done (if ever) as far as the Rosses Point junction

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭drdidlittle

Carson10 wrote: »

seen that on Saturday. Thought l was mistaken. Irish solution to irish problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭malibu4u

How do you expect asphalt to be laid at night time?

Maybe they could have worked in the evening at 7 or 8 pm, after peak traffic? I was on holidays in Sligo a few weeks ago during the day and there was a traffic jam lasting about 50 minutes. In some other countries they seem to do road works after peak hours whenever they can.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

I haven't been driving in Sligo much lately, but last Friday was a complete joke. I've never seen traffic like it, the whole town was jammed. I was stuck on Ballast Quay for nearly half an hour and it was only when I got to the junction with Pirn Mill road, did I realise the road ahead was blocked off and I couldn't turn left over the bridge towards Derry. The only sign I saw had a big HGV turn right arrow on it, which suggested normal cars could proceed straight ahead. If the gobshytes had of up a simple sign saying all traffic turn right. Then I could have done a U-turn on Ballast Quay and saved myself 30 minutes.

Well the line markings are done. Its definitely 3 lanes south, lane 1 left and straight, lane 2 straight, and lane 3 right. 2 lanes as before north, with the new 3rd lane (lane 1 if it ever opens) currently closed until further development.

Does anyone know the expected completion date?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Tomorrow I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Skiup

9 months work to get one extra lane for 50 metres.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭thebuzz

red sean wrote: »
    Tomorrow I believe.
    Now scheduled to finish Tuesday 28th.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Bebo stunnah

Skiup wrote: »
    9 months work to get one extra lane for 50 metres.

Well it's one extra lane on either side, but the extra northbound land ends when the bridge ends. Cant figure out the purpose of that. From what I heard the bridge was due maintenace, so at least they did everything all at the same time, nothing in town is ever done like that. As bad as it is could you imagine what the traffic would have been like if the schools were still oen when they closed the bridge?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

Any provisions for a bicycle lane?

Well it's one extra lane on either side, but the extra northbound land ends when the bridge ends. Cant figure out the purpose of that. From what I heard the bridge was due maintenace, so at least they did everything all at the same time, nothing in town is ever done like that. As bad as it is could you imagine what the traffic would have been like if the schools were still oen when they closed the bridge?

Am guessing this is to future proof the bridge. I believe plans are to upgrade the road as far as the Rosses Point junction in the future, when/if this is done, the additional NB lane will be opened.

Chinasea wrote: »
    Any provisions for a bicycle lane?

Yes, but its shared with pedestrians, weather this is segregated by a white line or free for all I dont know. Either way, I will continue to use the regular driving lanes.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭mano79

Very disappointing to see them cutting into the lovely new road on Saturday morning. Was filled in again later that evening. Cant understand how these things get that far on and then they cut it open again to lay a pipe. Beggars belief :mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭loki7777

Any new date for finishing - opening both lanes in Donegal direction?

From email sent to me last Friday.

Sligo Road and Traffic Report (w/c Monday, 27th July, 2015)

"N4 Hughes Bridge Widening Contract

A contra-flow system will remain in place along Hughes Bridge until Wednesday evening, 29th July.

With effect from Thursday morning, 30th July, it is expected that both northbound and southbound carriageways along Hughes Bridge will be fully operational.

It is also expected that right-turning movements at junction S9 (Hughes Bridge / Ballast Quay / Custom House Quay) will be reinstated by Friday 31st July."

mano79 wrote: »
    Very disappointing to see them cutting into the lovely new road on Saturday morning. Was filled in again later that evening. Cant understand how these things get that far on and then they cut it open again to lay a pipe. Beggars belief :mad::mad::mad:

Unfortunately it seems to be a common occurrence in this country. A lovely new road surface is laid and then dug up again, due to a lack of forward planning by somebody.

Unfortunately it seems to be a common occurrence in this country. A lovely new road surface is laid and then dug up again, due to a lack of forward planning by somebody.

So does the road look like its been cut up again. Ie Patch Work effect.

Wasn't this the reason why OConnell Street was not done when they said, as could not agree with Irish Water on works. Hopefully will get that sorted next after the Fleadh Cheoil.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

You spelled county wrong..

• Advertisement

rizzodun wrote: »
    You spelled county wrong..

You probably need new reading glasses. Btw, there are some good offers in Specsavers atm.:pac:

Advertisement