Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New bin collecting

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Red Rua

I was just looking at the FAQs on the Sligo Co Council website
    http://www.sligococo.ie/media/FAQs_WasteManagment.pdf

If you live in one of the specified areas in Sligo, you are obliged to have a 3rd bin for Food Waste and present it for collection on a fortnightly basis

Why has the 3rd bin (Food Waste/Bio-degradable Waste) to be collected fortnightly? It may not be full, therefore why can I not wait until it is full?

So those that mean those on the Greenstar Pre-Pay plan must pay €6 to lift the brown bin on a fornightly basis? Even if they compost most of their food waste?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Red Rua wrote: »
    http://www.sligococo.ie/media/FAQs_WasteManagment.pdf

If you live in one of the specified areas in Sligo, you are obliged to have a 3rd bin for Food Waste and present it for collection on a fortnightly basis

Why has the 3rd bin (Food Waste/Bio-degradable Waste) to be collected fortnightly? It may not be full, therefore why can I not wait until it is full?
    Also from that PDF:
    Not all food waste can go in Garden Composters i.e. cooked food items.

Wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 phillo65

Sligoface you seem to have hit it.Its a private contract between me,the consumer and barna or whoever,the provider.What business the coco or corpo have interfering in this as long all is legit and they are licenced baffles me.It is the usual in this country.Do things right and you get penalised.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭tommyamnesia

phillo65 wrote: »
    Sligoface you seem to have hit it.Its a private contract between me,the consumer and barna or whoever,the provider.What business the coco or corpo have interfering in this as long all is legit and they are licenced baffles me.It is the usual in this country.Do things right and you get penalised.

Can anyone answer this? I put out waste only 4 times a year. I do a lot of composting and re-cycling. I pay approx. 70e a year for waste and recycling. If I go for option 3 with Barna it will cost me something like 80e service charge plus about 4-5 lifts which is close to 130e for waste alone. Can I bring my waste to a depot for disposal?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Why has the 3rd bin (Food Waste/Bio-degradable Waste) to be collected fortnightly? It
    may not be full, therefore why can I not wait until it is full?

This is a requirement under the Waste Management (Food Waste) Regulations 2009 and also
    the European Union (Household Food Waste & Bio-waste) Regulations 2013. Apart from its
    requirement in legislation, the rationale behind collection of this waste type on a fortnightly
    basis is to ensure the waste undergoes the best possible treatment at a composting facility

Great ...we're a household of two.
    We produce about 3 chicken bones and a mouldy lemon between us per fortnight (any other left-over food is dog food :D or garden compost) ...so it's going to cost me 6 Euro every two weeks to dispose of that correctly?

156 Euro per year?

Are they out of their minds??

And then I'll have to wash the fecking bin every time ...helloooo water charges

EDIT:

just had another think about this

If they are forcing you to put out that bin every fortnight they can not have a flat charge for this. Otherwise a single person household would have to pay the same for their two eggshells as a large family for a full bin ...that would not only not be fair, I also doubt that it would stand up in court.

There will have to be a charge that reflects the actual amount of waste you produce.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

showgies wrote: »
    I’m currently with Barna on a top up / credit situation and pay for each lift. Between general waste & recycling I spend an average €150 per year.

The new charges will mean an increase payment for me no matter what option I use, with the €20 per quarter being probably the best choice. The price per lift currently is €12.50 – General and €4.50 – Recycling, even their reduction to €9 & €2.50 respectfully means I will pay more.

Co-incidentally the prices per lift were only increased last July from €9.50 & €3.00.

It seems that those that were managing their waste correctly in the first place are those that will bear some punishment.

So much for Polluter Pays.

Is the €9 on top of the €20 you have all ready prepaid, or is it deducted from the €20. Plus do you use you exsisting bin or do they supply one.

Really love the way the Coco and the Refuse companies have advertised these changes btw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭sari

I'm so confused by all this and really don't know how I'm going to pay for my bins now. I put the rubbish and recycling out once every 4 weeks. I use mc graths bin bags so with their recent increase that's €18 every 4 weeks!!
    Don't know which option is best for us now??
    Are all options direct debit or can you pay/top up with cash

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Bebo stunnah

Red Rua wrote: »

If that's the case then I have no problem presenting it fortnightly, I sure as hell wont be paying to do so until it's full though, so it's up to them if they take it or not.

This whole thing seems a bit fishy to me, it appears as though the refuse company and Co.Co have come to a mutual agreement that they'll be making a minimum amount of profit off every house. Last year I was paying about €10 for a bin bag, and I got a recycling bag for free. When they increased the price to €13 per bag and started charging €2.50 per bag I stopped using they're recycling bags. Now it looks like they're forcing me to pay more, 'just because'.

I haven't heard anything about the new prices (except for on here),I got the mcGraths leaflet, but nothing about prices, but I hear Barna are about to issue something next week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭sari

The council and the bin companies must have been working on this for awhile but I only heard about this yesterday and with such short notice of changes! It doesn't give people much time to get all the info and look at their finances to figure out the best deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

I vaguely recall reading/hearing something in the national media about this a few months ago.
    And I think it said this will be the system all over Ireland. But as I say, vaguely!
    Very confusing locally though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 showgies

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    Is the €9 on top of the €20 you have all ready prepaid, or is it deducted from the €20. Plus do you use you exsisting bin or do they supply one.

I assume it's on top of the €20. I can't see them delivering new bins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭sligoface

Just read that pdf, looks like this is actually in part, due to recently introduced EU regulations. Is there any part of our lives that they can't affect without the citizens having a say in it. How do they expect to force people to pay for and present a food bin? Do you have to pay if the bin is empty? Also mentions that our recycling bins will be microchipped! Surely there are better uses for technology and this bs is adding to the cost which is always incresing. Also, says that general waste bins deemed to have too much food waste will not be collected and will get a sticker to say they are contaminated. How will they figure that? Are they gonna crawl into my bin?

I'd wager the bin men are none too happy about these new duties, typical example of those who are not going to have to actually do the work making it harder and more complicated.

I know it's only bins but IMO it exemplifies the way we will live from now on under the EU and our own corrupt and inept government: forced to pay a standing charge for everything they can think of, be it your bin, your water, tv/internet (when the Tv license becomes the broadcast charge), anything you need they will charge for, and in some cases you get charged whether you use it or not, meanwhile your property tax and income tax goes into a black hole and provides you with nothing in return.

What if I have my rent and other bills due or I need to buy oil, etc. on the week when they want to collect this food bin, am I meant to take money out of the paltry amount I have left over for buying food, to pay for an empty bin? When you can barely afford your weekly shopping you don't waste much food, I can tell you with certainty. The truth is the only way I could possibly fill a bin fortnightly with food is if I dump all the food I buy directly into it upon returning from the supermarket!

This really angers me but you know what, I can hardly see this being enforced in any way, no one I've spoken to seems to understand it, and I doubt the bin men really want the extra hassle or care how often I put out my bin or if a few banana peels make its way into my general waste. I certainly don't plan on paying for this food waste bin every two weeks if it's not full, and they can't force me to. Since the whole point is to reduce the general waste whch is landfill waste, the food waste, which is biodegradable, should just be included with the standing monthly charge. That way people will be encouraged to use it and at least then the standing charge could be justified. People will only be encouraged to avoid mking landfill waste if it will save them money. Making it more complicated and more expensive while forcing people into paying standing charges and putting a bin out on designated days will never work. Maybe in Germany, but not here.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 phillo65

As all of you are saying the whole thing seems to be just another money grab exercise.The current system seems to work for anyone I've spoken too.Why fix something when its not broken.There are many things broken in this town and they won't bother their arse fixing them.One other thing,our elected reps are usually quick shoving leaflets in our doors telling us how great they are,no sign of them now.Oh yeah we now have to pay to recycle their rubbish pamphlets.Roll on the election in May.

I had a good look at the thing Barna are sending out (I forget a few of the details)
    1. €167 per 6 months. Then there's weight limits, all I can remember is €40kg for normal bin
    2. €74 per 3 months, weight limits are a bit weird, think it was 100kg per quarter
    3. €20 standing charge, plus pay per lift on each bin €9 for general bin, then a charge for overweight...

From my understanding, they do fortnightly collections, you do not have to put your bins out every 2 weeks. But that means they're doing half the collections but cost more.

I did a breakdown compared to what it's costing me now (€13/month) and the new price. Options 1 and 2 are nearly more than double. Option 3 is 2.50 more expensive with just the general bin going out.
    phillo65 wrote: »
    One other thing,our elected reps are usually quick shoving leaflets in our doors telling us how great they are,no sign of them now.
    I got Rosaleen O'Gradys s#it through my door the day after the McGraths leaflet

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭tommyamnesia

I had a good look at the thing Barna are sending out (I forget a few of the details)
    1. €167 per 6 months. Then there's weight limits, all I can remember is €40kg for normal bin
    2. €74 per 3 months, weight limits are a bit weird, think it was 100kg per quarter
    3. €20 standing charge, plus pay per lift on each bin €9 for general bin, then a charge for overweight...

From my understanding, they do fortnightly collections, you do not have to put your bins out every 2 weeks. But that means they're doing half the collections but cost more.

I did a breakdown compared to what it's costing me now (€13/month) and the new price. Options 1 and 2 are nearly more than double. Option 3 is 2.50 more expensive with just the general bin going out.

I got Rosaleen O'Gradys s#it through my door the day after the McGraths leaflet

I believe it's 20e standing charge every quarter which is 80e for year plus lifts.

No, if you read the PDF from the council that was posted earlier it says you have to put the new food waste bin (which greenstar have not provided or mentioned in their pamphlet) out for collection every two weeks, to avoid the food rotting and such. What I can see happening is you top up your card and they start deducting 6 euro every two weeks for that bin on top of the standing charge which will cost you a fortune before you even get to putting out your recycling or general waste. I can't believe the local papers are not covering this, another blatant rip off being shoved down everyone's throats with poor communication and confusing everyone. The irony is they think this is going to deter illegal dumping and burning of waste, quite the opposite IMO.

sligoface wrote: »
    The irony is they think this is going to deter illegal dumping and burning of waste, quite the opposite IMO.

I'd say that was way down the list. Money was the top 3 things the companies and council had

I'd say that was way down the list. Money was the top 3 things the companies and council had

Yeah but obviously they are not going to put that in the materials they released. Again, if you read the pdf from the sligo co council it has all the info, including the new rules and their supposed reasons for them, and they say the main reasons are to discourage landfill waste and illegal disposal of waste, and to be able to record the amounts of each type of waste to please the EU, who can penalize countries for non compliance.

It suggests wrapping your food waste (of which I would have very little) in newspapers (which I never buy) to discourage odors and pest issues related to having a bin of rotting food sitting for two weeks. Ffs it'll be a full time job just organizing my rubbish, on top of that I'll need to find a second job just to afford to have it taken away. I'd say more people will be looking for less than legal alternatives rather than use this overcomplicated and overpriced new system.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭thebuzz

Greenstars pre pay plan seems to be the best for those who dont put out the bins too often

Prepay Plan
    Initial Payment: €20.00
    Monthly Charge: €4.16
    Compost: €6.00
    Recycling: €4.00
    General Waste: €10.00
    No it's not. The standing charge works out a tenner cheaper when you factor in the initial payment but they charge €6 for compost when Barna charge €2. Remember the compost bin has to go out every two weeks regardless of how much you use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Just found the perfect low cost solution for all of us......

63KbmR.gif

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Seamus1964

thebuzz wrote: »
    No it's not. The standing charge works out a tenner cheaper when you factor in the initial payment but they charge €6 for compost when Barna charge €2. Remember the compost bin has to go out every two weeks regardless of how much you use it.

And if not, 250 000 euro fine and/or 3 years in jail!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

Seamus1964 wrote: »
    And if not, 250 000 euro fine and/or 3 years in jail!

There's six in my house and two dogs, if I can compost all my peels etc myself there will be no food waste, the dogs get whatever little leftovers there are. So if I put out an empty bin every two weeks will I still get charged? Tried ringing barna on Friday, left a voicemail because they didn't pick up, they never rang back, not that I'm surprised. You don't need customer service when the customer has no choice.

• thebuzz wrote: »

Having studied it a bit better, Barna seems to be the best priced of a bad lot for people who don't put out their bins often!

All of this confusion about the food waste bin driving me crazy. Greenstar never even mentioned it in their letter about the new rates, and have not provided this bin. Though I live in the town so not sure if I am in one of the areas required, but I thought 'Sligo Borough area' meant town. Anyway, no effin way I am paying 6 euro to have it taken away if it is not full. I just can't see this working between standing charges, forced biweekly collections, confusion over everything, they're going to have major hassle getting people to do what they want and pay what they want. Rubbish should not be this difficult! When I lived in the US your taxes paid for the bin collecting, you seperated your recycling, put the whole lot out and you didn't have to think about it at all. When I moved back I thought the buying a bag or tag thing was ridiculous, but this new system being forced on us just goes beyond the beyond. The only way they can make this work is if the food bin is included with the standing charges. I know Barna is only 2 euro but I wouldn't be keen on paying a 20 euro charge in one go every three months. I can't afford to top up my phone 20 at a time even though I get unlimited any network texts and same network calls for it, I sure as hell am not paying 20 euro just for nothing at all other than the privilege of paying them another fee per lift of my bin.

Either they include the forced collection of food bins in the standing charge or they do away with the standing charge and have it be a true pay per lift service, even if the cost is a bit more per lift. Otherwise it is too expensive, too confusing and just unfair to the consumer. In any case, you can't force people to pay for and put out a bin if they are not using it, and unless it is really cheap people just won't use it, and I doubt they will be wanting to clog up the court system with ordinary law abiding people disputing fines over their rubbish collecting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

I doubt they will be wanting to clog up the court system with ordinary law abiding people disputing fines over their rubbish collecting.
    I'll let you know. No way I'm complying with this ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Asbury Park

All of this confusion about the food waste bin driving me crazy. Greenstar never even mentioned it in their letter about the new rates, and have not provided this bin. Though I live in the town so not sure if I am in one of the areas required, but I thought 'Sligo Borough area' meant town. Anyway, no effin way I am paying 6 euro to have it taken away if it is not full

The new system is a farce, another legacy issue from our "fine" ex-county manager :rolleyes: - the information being given out only adds to the confusion and the wording on the local authority websites would make your eyes bleed from trying to decipher it. What is it going to take for people in this country to stand up and say "we've had enough" ?

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭TheQ47

I got this letter in the door from my refuse company last week ,which mentioned the three bins. It was only because of reading this thread that I thought to check the areas which need the 3rd bin and discovered that I am actually NOT in a 3-bin area. The leaflet definitely made me think that I was, but looking at the maps here (scroll down the page a bit), I discovered that it doesn't stretch out as far as where I live. So at least I have one less thing to think about.

Still none-the-wiser though as to which is the best option for me. I generally only need to leave my normal bin out every 4 weeks and one recycling bag every 2 weeks, and I compost the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭loki7777

So Sligo Town doesn't need to put out food bin every 2 weeks?
    Sorry I just don't get it at all now - we took the food bin few months ago and it is fine for us but putting it out every 2 weeks is to stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Thanks for the link TheQ47.
    One of the things I can't grasp is why is a 3 bin system necessary in some areas and not others.
    Thankfully I'm also outside the brown bin area!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭TheQ47

loki7777 wrote: »
    So Sligo Town doesn't need to put out food bin every 2 weeks?
    Sorry I just don't get it at all now - we took the food bin few months ago and it is fine for us but putting it out every 2 weeks is to stupid.

loki, Here's the map for the Sligo Town area. Anywhere inside the shaded area must have the 3 bins.

Advertisement