Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Sasquatch76

Just using an updated version of the old engine I've heard, which is disappointing to me personally.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Better be a new engine tbh. The old one is looking seriously dated at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

Could never finish the first one, kept getting my ass kicked :'(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

Could never finish the first one, kept getting my ass kicked :'(

I've never played Arena, what's it like?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

I've never played Arena, what's it like?

Oh sorry, meant Oblivion! That's where my elder scrolls journey began. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭bastados

Hope the graphics have been reappraised since the last one.

bastados wrote: »
    Hope the graphics have been reappraised since the last one.
    And the levelling system.

And the casting budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Between Oblivion and the last 2 Fallouts, Im really sick of this engine. It has to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

It really is looking dated at this stage. Can't wait for this! I hope it looks further back than Oblivion to draw strengths from, I played it there again recently....and I honestly think Morrowind is a better game.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Just using an updated version of the old engine I've heard, which is disappointing to me personally.
    Oh god, I hope that's just a rumour. The GameBryo engine is so ... shoddy at this stage I refuse to believe they're still going to be using it in 2011. I was looking at the various copyrights in the loading screen of Fallout New Vegas, and it looks to me like they're using a 2006 version of the engine. That's ridiculous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,591 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

If they are going to use the same engine you can bet your ass it's got everything to do with Consoles. PCs are already 2 or 3 Graphics and performance generations ahead.

Whatever about the engine. It looked really stunning in its day and even more recently with texture mods. but what really set me off was as someone else pointed out, the awkward and limited voice acting, and the leveling system - one which left you know sense of accomplishment or power because when you were level 5, the mobs were level 5. And when you became 20 the mobs were all 20, and so on. Whereas any normal rpg with a brain has areas you simply shouldn't venture out to when you're level 2.

Last but not least they overpopulated the world with the oblivion gates, evidenced by the fact that there were maybe 3 or 5 "unique" (but really the same ****ing theme with slightly different layouts) oblivion realms that get copy-pasted across the entire world, and youre expected to close a bunch of these while fighting off boredom.

I suppose it always works out this way though: anytime someone first hears about a sequel they worry it will have all the flaws of the originals, and then it comes out and we're all left a little surprised at some of the improvements.

pixelburp wrote: »
    Oh god, I hope that's just a rumour. The GameBryo engine is so ... shoddy at this stage I refuse to believe they're still going to be using it in 2011. I was looking at the various copyrights in the loading screen of Fallout New Vegas, and it looks to me like they're using a 2006 version of the engine. That's ridiculous.
    Actually, just read this on another forum;
    Bethblog Bethesda Blog

Seeing lots of speculation about #tesv game engine. It's brand new... and it's spectacular!
    http://twitter.com/Bethblog/status/14010984884604929

Neat. But what about the leveling?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Me when I saw them release the ad live on the VGAs...

128603936216.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Actually, just read this on another forum;

http://twitter.com/Bethblog/status/14010984884604929
    Well that's great to hear. Wonder what engine their using. Suppose whatever it is, it will have to be capable of rendering large terrains & draw distances.

Keno 92 wrote: »
    Me when I saw them release the ad live on the VGAs...

128603936216.jpg
    You look terrified. Even though I know you just -

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

i wonder how long have they been working on it? all i need now is the new gta and i will be one happy gamer :D

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Sl!mCharles

awh mannn. This game... ohhh
    Twill be rockin'!
    good pun yes... stone dragon and all that.
    Seriously cannot wait!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭JohnyDarko

Am I the only person whos very skeptical about it? I mean Oblivion and Fallout 3 were pretty dire when compared to their predecessors and even on their own (Oblivion especially; with the leveling, voice acting, facial expressions, end "battle" and same-y dungeons - music was good tho), and while New Vegas is really fun, it was done by a completely different studio.

Which really surprises me when you think that TES3:Morrowind, which is probably one of the best games in the genre, was only released about 4 or 5 years before it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

JohnyDarko wrote: »
    Am I the only person whos very skeptical about it? I mean Oblivion and Fallout 3 were pretty dire when compared to their predecessors and even on their own (Oblivion especially; with the leveling, voice acting, facial expressions, end "battle" and same-y dungeons - music was good tho), and while New Vegas is really fun, it was done by a completely different studio.

Which really surprises me when you think that TES3:Morrowind, which is probably one of the best games in the genre, was only released about 4 or 5 years before it.

Im not worried because your opinion isnt fact. I prefered oblivion to marrowind and although fallout 1+2 were better games, fallout3 certainly wasnt "dire" in comparision.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Fallout 3 is widely regarded as one of the best games of 2008, so i don't see how you can say it was pretty dire compared to the previous games. Might not have been your cup of tea, which is fair enough.

I'll agree that Morrowind was a better game then Oblivion though. I'm excitied to see what they do with this, but since it's gonna be ages till we see anything, i won't be too bothered until we get some actual gameplay video's.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭JohnyDarko

Kiith wrote: »
    Fallout 3 is widely regarded as one of the best games of 2008, so i don't see how you can say it was pretty dire compared to the previous games. Might not have been your cup of tea, which is fair enough.

I'll agree that Morrowind was a better game then Oblivion though. I'm excitied to see what they do with this, but since it's gonna be ages till we see anything, i won't be too bothered until we get some actual gameplay video's.

And people who have never played Morrowind will likely have trouble believing that it was better than Oblivion.

I'm not saying Fallout 3 was an absolutely terrible game or anything, but it was (in my opinion, as magil wanted to make clear) almost completely different in tone rather than gameplay(which I didn't really mind) to 1 and 2 - as well as having its own problems such as the greyness, being overpowered in combat, player animations, boring generic companions, dialog and plot points (ending if you have the robot or fawkes or Col. Autumn's reappearance in particular), the freezes and crashes on PC and the radio (I mean even gta 3 had more content on one station then GNR had all game). I think the reason it was so critically lauded was more due to the recent lack of RPGs to compare it to and Bethesda's marketing department's ability to get the reviews it wants than its quality.

I do hope this game is good though... but again I'm going to hold against getting excited till we see some screens from it... its also going up against Dragon Age 2 this time, so hopefully the developers will pull out all the stops.

I really hope they add more voice actors. It got a bit ridiculous when you'd hear the same voice actor speaking in different ways - gruff, soft, hoarse, etc etc.

That trailer really didn't give much away, did it?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Yay, new Elder Scrolls.

As for the engine, I thought it was said a few months back that they were selling off the engine and switching to a new one. ES:5 would be a perfect oppertunity for them to showcase a new engine.

Hopefully they'll have more than 3 actors this time too :pac:

I also thought the physics in it was pretty odd with some bizzare glitches. (You touch 1 item on a table and everything explodes off it) Plus I hope they refine the guards, I don't want to be chased all over the land by an army just because I touched a spoon.

If it's anything like Oblivion then I'm already on board for this game :D

On the subject of voice actors - never spotted this:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

It really is looking dated at this stage. Can't wait for this! I hope it looks further back than Oblivion to draw strengths from, I played it there again recently....and I honestly think Morrowind is a better game.

It is, as oblivion got so boring

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I really hope they add more voice actors. It got a bit ridiculous when you'd hear the same voice actor speaking in different ways - gruff, soft, hoarse, etc etc.

That trailer really didn't give much away, did it?
    It gave away Max Von Sydow, which is enough for me! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

On the subject of voice actors - never spotted this:

Ha! That's brilliant! I suppose I never really notice things like that because I skip the text.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭previous user

Holy crap!
    only quarter way through Oblivion,
    still not finished fallout 3 and fallout new vegas and now this sequel,
    at this rate I'll never be able to find a job.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

at least it's a year away

i started oblivion for the first time earlier this year, got about 50 hours in and hadn't really touched the main story line was just having fun wandering around exploring and doing quests. The i reinstalled windows, completely forgot to copy over my savegames and now will have to start all over again

great game and all, but it's just too soon for me to start all that levelling up again.

Advertisement