Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Chippers/Takeaways in Sligo

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

ComeEre2Me wrote: »
    There used to be a really wonderful Indian restaurant out past Drumcliff, on the right, years ago, its another restaurant or sportsbar now i think. Seemed a wonderfully well run place, always got complimentary poppadums and sauces as a taster while you order n wait. The folks who worked there were courteous, professional & friendly, we were never kept waiting too long, the food was absolutely delicious, very generous and incredibly reasonably priced, great variety on the menu, various flavoured naan breads, second to none. I loved going there, a special treat. Sadly, it hardly ever seemed very busy. Not sure if it was the distant proximity to town etc, or that folks weren't much into Indian cuisine, or what. One day, I arrived there, and they had closed up shop. :(
    That was the Monsoon Valley (now Henry's). They moved to Bundoran and were closed down for a while earlier this summer by the FSAI!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Even though its been a long time since I ate in an Abrakebra, and even longer since I ate in the Sligo branch, anyone any ideas whats happening with the place? Only noticed a couple of weeks ago the place closed for a reverb, and remains closed this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    Even though its been a long time since I ate in an Abrakebra, and even longer since I ate in the Sligo branch, anyone any ideas whats happening with the place? Only noticed a couple of weeks ago the place closed for a reverb, and remains closed this week.

People that had the lease pulled out, and nothing since far as I know. Id say there looking for someone to take it on

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭daingeanrob

i got a pizza from great pizza last night. massive pizza. lots of toppings and very tasty, €12.50 to the door very reasonable too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

Great will be the death of me. Both Great Chinese and Great Pizza & Kebab do a €2 menu. The kebabs have been half price for ages too. Between 3 in 1's for €2 and chicken kebabs for €3 we're eating A LOT more takeaways lately. It's consistently good too.

• Advertisement

i got a pizza from great pizza last night. massive pizza. lots of toppings and very tasty, €12.50 to the door very reasonable too.

Pretty much the exact same a few doors up in Ali's.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,044 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Hello pizza is great value as well. 20 inch pizza 2 dips and a bottle of coke for €17.

the great pizza did come with a garlic mayo dip at that price.

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    Pretty much the exact same a few doors up in Ali's.

like ali's kebabs. the chips are lovely too. still have some of last nights pizza though. am feeling hungry again

the great pizza did come with a garlic mayo dip at that price.

So does Ali's

Plus so much nicer chips.

:p

I may not be 100% on the garlic mayo thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭johnire

Has anyone got a takeaway from the place on Mail Coach Road?
    I can't remember it's name but it's where Borzas used to be:)
    Thanks!

johnire wrote: »
    Has anyone got a takeaway from the place on Mail Coach Road?
    I can't remember it's name but it's where Borzas used to be:)
    Thanks!

Ali's. Been metioned a few times in the last several posts.

;)

Great will be the death of me. Both Great Chinese and Great Pizza & Kebab do a €2 menu. The kebabs have been half price for ages too. Between 3 in 1's for €2 and chicken kebabs for €3 we're eating A LOT more takeaways lately. It's consistently good too.

Got from the Chinise part the other night, ordered in for collection from just eat. Although from now on will be more inclined to get from the buffet counter, you can cram some amount in them containers, and was not aware of it till i went in to collect my order.

Saying that there was nothing wrong with what i got.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

Here's one to blow the dust off an old thread, has anyone gotten food out of paprika lately?
    It changed ownership over a year ago now and there are very few reviews anywhere on the place

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭whatswhat

Here's one to blow the dust off an old thread, has anyone gotten food out of paprika lately?
    It changed ownership over a year ago now and there are very few reviews anywhere on the place

We ate there a lot before it changed hands but we really went off it when it changed ownership, the food was not as good at all in our opinion. I gave it a few months not eating there and tried again but was still not impressed, so gave them up altogether. Its a real shame because before that we thought the food was class from there.

Interesting. I only thought it was middling under the old ownership so this is going to be food roulette because I've just placed an order!

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭whatswhat

Suppose its "each to their own", hope you enjoyed what you ordered tonight. :)

whatswhat wrote: »
    Suppose its "each to their own", hope you enjoyed what you ordered tonight. :)

Cheers. Yeah for the money I couldn't fault it. It was only 9 quid for a main course so happy enough really.
    The naan was really good though!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 LilaC333

Just got the most disappointing food from Charcoal Kebab. Got lots of stuff between us and none of it was great.

Onion rings- resembled Tesco value muck, mushy chicken tenders, Chicken breast and chips- chicken was cut into b4 cooking and was then cremated, had one bite and couldn't eat any more it was so dry, (gave the meat to the dog, he has now drank a full bowl of water after eating it!), the chips were cooked, thats the best I can say about them. 1/4 pounder was the best of the bad bunch and was described by the eater as average, and I dont know how curry sauce on chips can be dry....
    thats us never going there again.

I think I'll have some toast...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭prodsc

LilaC333 wrote: »
    Just got the most disappointing food from Charcoal Kebab. Got lots of stuff between us and none of it was great.

Onion rings- resembled Tesco value muck, mushy chicken tenders, Chicken breast and chips- chicken was cut into b4 cooking and was then cremated, had one bite and couldn't eat any more it was so dry, (gave the meat to the dog, he has now drank a full bowl of water after eating it!), the chips were cooked, thats the best I can say about them. 1/4 pounder was the best of the bad bunch and was described by the eater as average, and I dont know how curry sauce on chips can be dry....
    thats us never going there again.

I think I'll have some toast...

Is that the one on MCR? Hope you rang to register your thoughts

• Advertisement

prodsc wrote: »
    Is that the one on MCR? Hope you rang to register your thoughts

No. Charcoal Grill is on the entrance to Wine Street Car Park. Used to like them when they first opened, but having to return my order twice when out late one night, and previous other times only discovering the order was wrong when getting home, I have not gone back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

Where are the decent chippers at in town these days? Usually get a curry cheese coleslaw chip in the Happy Eater but I'd love a simple bag of chips with salt and vinegar!

Used to love Roberto's until the past couple of years and whenever I got chips from them they were hardly cooked before they were thrown in the bag. And when I complained they basically shrugged it off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Uncle Ben

There was a lovely Italian restaurant in Sligo when I was there a few years back. It had the big stone oven behind the counter. That's really all I remember from a wonderful weekend away!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,175 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Uncle Ben wrote: »
    There was a lovely Italian restaurant in Sligo when I was there a few years back. It had the big stone oven behind the counter. That's really all I remember from a wonderful weekend away!

Bistro Bianconi. I never understood the fascination with the place!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭SPM1959

Where are the decent chippers at in town these days? Usually get a curry cheese coleslaw chip in the Happy Eater but I'd love a simple bag of chips with salt and vinegar!

Used to love Roberto's until the past couple of years and whenever I got chips from them they were hardly cooked before they were thrown in the bag. And when I complained they basically shrugged it off.

The Little Chip beside Mooney's in Maugheraboy. Trying to be off chips at the moment but if looking for a plain bag (big size too) they would be my first stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

SPM1959 wrote: »
    The Little Chip beside Mooney's in Maugheraboy. Trying to be off chips at the moment but if looking for a plain bag (big size too) they would be my first stop.

Bit too far for me to travel if in town, must check it out if i'm ever out that way though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭SPM1959

Has anyone been to Mollys recently? What is the standard like now?

used to be there on a regular basis but haven't had a take away from there in a long time.

Drove by the old Sligo Kebab House on Castle St this morning, seemed to be recent work going on inside, could it be reopening as another chipper of some description.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭6781

How many chippers are there in town now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

SPM1959 wrote: »
    Has anyone been to Mollys recently? What is the standard like now?

used to be there on a regular basis but haven't had a take away from there in a long time.

I swore off that place many years ago due to the declining quality of the food but decided to give it another go recently. Was pleasantly suprised by it. Still nowhere as good as what it was back in the early 90's, though.

Advertisement