Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon Prime Day - 13th/14th October 2020

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,180 ✭✭✭✭ted1

dowtchaboy wrote: »
    I wonder will UPS be able to handle it after UK goes full Brexit after Jan 1st?
    I can see Amazon being able to come to an arrangement with the Irish Customs and VAT people to collect the duty and VAT for them, since Amazon control the whole transaction from ordering to delivery, and can wrap it all up in your costs at point of ordering. But how will the ParcelMotel/UPS depot handle parcels with non-existent invoices or dodgy claims to be "gifts", then contact you to get the OK to charge you for VAT, duty etc? As far as I can see if the UK goes out of the EU without a tight free trade agreement, the ParcelMotel business model is fubar-ed, as are AddressPal, and all the others.
    Amazon already charge VAT at Irish rates. And duty is EU already paid. So it won’t affect them also with prime there’s no need for parcel motel.

Anyone sending over 70k into Ireland have to register for VAT here

As for dodgy Gift, companies are legally obliged to fill a goods deceleration. Chinese companies may fake it , but British ones won’t

• Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭dowtchaboy

ted1 wrote: »
    Amazon already charge VAT at Irish rates. And duty is EU already paid. So it won’t affect them also with prime there’s no need for parcel motel.

Anyone sending over 70k into Ireland have to register for VAT here

As for dodgy Gift, companies are legally obliged to fill a goods deceleration. Chinese companies may fake it , but British ones won’t

OK - my point was about ParcelMotel's future, not Amazon. Amazon will make other arrangements to cope with a crashed out UK. I'm dubious they will bother to put a hub in Ireland - we're too small - they don't bother to do it for Holland, Belgium, Portugal et al. They could, however, set up an "Ireland" operation within the UK fulfillment centres that ships to Ireland with VAT and duty already paid. The stuff we buy, the English language books, DVDs, CDs etc are similar to UK demand, not German,French etc.

My point about ParcelMotel is that they would not be able to handle the extra load of collecting VAT and duty unless they start charging the "collection fees" that AnPost do, and employ a load more staff. That's why I think their existing model is screwed if UK don't have a free trade agreement that is seamless.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,424 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

ablelocks wrote: »
    £59.99 - waiting on it too. I've only ever bought prime on prime day, and was paying the monthly 7.99 for August and Sept.

I'd be wary of buying it with Brexit looming.
    Whats going to happen people in Ireland, Amazon don't seem to have any intention of setting up an Amazon.ie .

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

I'd be wary of buying it with Brexit looming.
    Whats going to happen people in Ireland, Amazon don't seem to have any intention of setting up an Amazon.ie .

See earlier in the thread - they have built a fulfillment centre here.

OK - my point was about ParcelMotel's future,

My point about ParcelMotel is that they would not be able to handle the extra load of collecting VAT and duty unless they start charging the "collection fees" that AnPost do, and employ a load more staff. That's why I think their existing model is screwed if UK don't have a free trade agreement that is seamless.

My point is that there’s no extra work. They already are obliged to charge Irish VAT for deliveries.

An post charge a handling fee so can cope, they’ll benefit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,161 ✭✭✭✭ED E

See earlier in the thread - they have built a fulfillment centre here.

Wrong.

Theres no fulfilment in Ireland, just a last mile hub.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,780 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

OK - my point was about ParcelMotel's future, not Amazon. Amazon will make other arrangements to cope with a crashed out UK. I'm dubious they will bother to put a hub in Ireland - we're too small - they don't bother to do it for Holland, Belgium, Portugal et al. They could, however, set up an "Ireland" operation within the UK fulfillment centres that ships to Ireland with VAT and duty already paid. The stuff we buy, the English language books, DVDs, CDs etc are similar to UK demand, not German,French etc.

UPS bought Nightline after the Brexit vote, so it’s not the forwarding service they were buying, but the whole delivery infrastructure.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,335 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Soarer wrote: »
    Check Dyson's ebay.co.uk outlet page.

They're forever selling "refurbished" units at huge discounts, but they're nearly always brand new units with 2 year warranties.

Have you a link to their page please. Can't find it.

ED E wrote: »
    Wrong.

Theres no fulfilment in Ireland, just a last mile hub.

https://www.fm104.ie/news/fm104-news/amazon-to-open-first-warehouse-in-dublin/

?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

A warehouse and a fulfilment centre can be two different things. That article just confirms they are opening a warehouse.

I hope they are opening a fully functioning fulfilment centre but I haven't seen that confirmed anywhere other than another poster here claiming they are trialing it. I have Prime so would love actual next day delivery and I'm getting fed up of all the random stuff they refuse to deliver here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,881 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Have you a link to their page please. Can't find it.

http://www.ebaystores.co.uk/dysonoutlet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭TimHorton

A warehouse and a fulfilment centre can be two different things. That article just confirms they are opening a warehouse.

I hope they are opening a fully functioning fulfilment centre but I haven't seen that confirmed anywhere other than another poster here claiming they are trialing it. I have Prime so would love actual next day delivery and I'm getting fed up of all the random stuff they refuse to deliver here.

Ordered an Item at 8.40 PM on Tuesday evening and it was delivered at 7.15 AM this morning , I am 80 miles or so from Dublin ! Not much more than 30 hours

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

TimHorton wrote: »
    Ordered an Item at 8.40 PM on Tuesday evening and it was delivered at 7.15 AM this morning , I am 80 miles or so from Dublin ! Not much more than 30 hours

Similar here. Theres been a massive improvement in delivery times in the last month or so.

OK thought fulfilling orders from a warehouse made it a fulfillment centre.

so you think they will have warehouse sitting there? what do you think they'll do with the stock in the warehouse? perhaps they may actually fullfill orders....

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/commercial-property/amazon-seeking-first-warehouse-in-ireland-to-fulfil-orders-shipped-from-uk-1.4120153

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Interested in the eero system but wondering if someone can help me with a question. I have a Virgin Media package (the latest small white router) and fund the wifi to be terrible. So I'm using TP Link Powerline adaptors. These claim to boost the wifi but I don't see any difference. However, they are useful to get a wired connection to my Desktop and NAS in my home office.

If I bought the mesh system, could I disable the wifi function of the TP Link devices and just use them for wired devices and then use eero for wifi boosting / meshing?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭Monokne

Can be, but it doesn't appear they are. I've ordered 3 times in the past month and the delivery is much quicker. They're fulfilling orders from it dude.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,981 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Interested in the eero system but wondering if someone can help me with a question. I have a Virgin Media package (the latest small white router) and fund the wifi to be terrible. So I'm using TP Link Powerline adaptors. These claim to boost the wifi but I don't see any difference. However, they are useful to get a wired connection to my Desktop and NAS in my home office.

If I bought the mesh system, could I disable the wifi function of the TP Link devices and just use them for wired devices and then use eero for wifi boosting / meshing?

Thanks!

I’m not au fait with eero but any mesh that I’ve looked into has Ethernet ports on each of the units. I’d be using them if possible rather than the TP Link

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Monokne wrote: »
    Can be, but it doesn't appear they are. I've ordered 3 times in the past month and the delivery is much quicker. They're fulfilling orders from it dude.

If they are doing that then great, I was just pointing out that them building a warehouse is no guarantee that it will be used as as fulfilment centre or that we are getting Prime in Ireland.

If it is to be used like that then if we don't get full prime I at least hope they will improve the range of stock that can be delivered here. Lots of electronics (tvs, monitors etc.) can't be delivered here which is really annoying as going through PM/PW is out due to size.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,731 ✭✭✭jacool

Thanks!
    Hi Rowley, mine arrived in Parcel Motel today.
    Will let you know (on this thread) how I get on.
    I'm SIRO/Vodafone so looking to share 1GB around the house (3 floors)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭snoopy84

RasTa wrote:
    Cool cool, I don't have a TV subscription with Sky etc as I never watch live TV(unless it's sports) so firestick would be pointless. Cheers

I was bit behind with firestick, iptv and all that
    Came across the firestick thread and a really good youtube video about a month ago.
    Last week himself went to bed early because he said he has too much choice on the TV now and couldn't choose 😆
    The only sub we pay now is for a vpn, for security obviously

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭jim salter

jacool wrote: »
    Hi Rowley, mine arrived in Parcel Motel today.
    Will let you know (on this thread) how I get on.
    I'm SIRO/Vodafone so looking to share 1GB around the house (3 floors)

Be interested to hear your feedback..in the same boat

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Peck3277

snoopy84 wrote: »
    I was bit behind with firestick, iptv and all that
    Came across the firestick thread and a really good youtube video about a month ago.
    Last week himself went to bed early because he said he has too much choice on the TV now and couldn't choose 😆
    The only sub we pay now is for a vpn, for security obviously

Have you any links or videos to get an understanding ? I've got an iptv app loaded onto my TV but struggling to find an iptv sub or whatever is needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

If you get a Firestick get an app on your phone called Apps2Fire. It lets you send apps downloaded from Google Play store to your Firestick. Also download the Fire TV app so you can turn your phone into a remote and can type in things.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭Monokne

If you get a Firestick get an app on your phone called Apps2Fire. It lets you send apps downloaded from Google Play store to your Firestick. Also download the Fire TV app so you can turn your phone into a remote and can type in things.

Could you theoretically download sky go and send it to the firestick?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭Calvin

Thanks!

I used to have TP-Link powerline adapters too and they’d keep disconnecting and I’d have to go through a long process of reconnecting them again.

Saw a great deal on the Deco M5s and picked them up to give it a go... haven’t looked back since. Powerline adapters are long gone and M5s have replaced them... pretty much faultless. Full connection around the house (2 floors) and even as far as the back garden too. WiFi and Ethernet, both exact same performance-wise and they’ve a handy little thing about them where if one deco loses connection, it’ll reconnect based off of the other two. Well worth the money, a nice and easy app to control them too.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭bobbyg

I used to have TP-Link powerline adapters too and they’d keep disconnecting and I’d have to go through a long process of reconnecting them again.

Saw a great deal on the Deco M5s and picked them up to give it a go... haven’t looked back since. Powerline adapters are long gone and M5s have replaced them... pretty much faultless. Full connection around the house (2 floors) and even as far as the back garden too. WiFi and Ethernet, both exact same performance-wise and they’ve a handy little thing about them where if one deco loses connection, it’ll reconnect based off of the other two. Well worth the money, a nice and easy app to control them too.

But they don't work with sky q boxes apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Peck3277

I don't have Sky Q and I've just ordered some M4's, don't even have them yet, so take what I say with a huge grain of salt.

But I thought you could set one up beside the sky box and connect it by ethernet cable?

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭tv3tg4

I am looking for a basic laptop or Chromebook - should I wait for primeday?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,083 ✭✭✭Chesty08

I’ve just downloaded the Remote for Firestick App but I can’t seem to connect the Remote. Keeps asking me to purchase which I’ve done (get confirmation)

I can do a cast of video from my phone but can’t use the phone as remote.

You what’s going wrong?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement