Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Springboard courses. Free college courses sponsored by the Irish Government

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,170 ✭✭✭This is it

yoshx wrote: »
    just gonna share my 2 cents ,if they cant create a proper website that able to serve , why bother applying trough any of it ?

There is lack of resources or grey material to make this springboard website going, therefore anything is related to it is kind of obsolete.

Now lets say you got in and got your degree and your dream job with 100 k or more, you still just an homo sapiens with money and a job.

Congratulations You have Survived, whats is next ?

I would say you find more full filing life style away from all these super courses , educated people.

Good luck finding your ways :)

But sure, why do anything in life. Most people need money, so most people need a job. Third level education is one avenue available to us to make this possible.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭CBear1993

Even when the page does load, it's still only giving the option of download SB 2020 list on an excel file?? is this the same for others?

The search function or drop downs for colleges etc aren't working for me yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭touts

just gonna share my 2 cents ,if they cant create a proper website that able to serve , why bother applying trough any of it ?

There is lack of resources or grey material to make this springboard website going, therefore anything is related to it is kind of obsolete.

Now lets say you got in and got your degree and your dream job with 100 k or more, you still just an homo sapiens with money and a job.

I would say you find more full filing life style away from all these super courses , educated people.

Got rejected did you?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,099 ✭✭✭dinneenp

touts wrote: »
    Site keeps crashing. It's unusable at the moment.

I spoke to them last week. It's not first come, first served. There's a deadline for applications and all submitted will get reviewed.

I'm sorry could you repeat that in some sort of language we can decipher?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I've done 2 Springboard courses now and they are brilliant in my opinion, nothing to do with jobs or careers advancement but as a hobby, you can spend your evenings watching Netflix or whatever you want, personally I did evening courses online and loved every second of them, forgetting about the extra letters after my name or pieces of paper in the post, you get to meet people with similar interests as you have and it is quite a sociable thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Treepole

There is no rush to get your application in so just relax and try the site tomorrow.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Prehaps if someone manages to get onto the site they might download the excel spreadsheet of all the courses and upload it here so people can have an idea of the courses that have been posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭icanmunch

finally managed to load the page. Any course I find is not open to those currently in employment

Clareman wrote: »
    Prehaps if someone manages to get onto the site they might download the excel spreadsheet of all the courses and upload it here so people can have an idea of the courses that have been posted.

:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭yoshx

This is it wrote: »
    But sure, why do anything in life. Most people need money, so most people need a job. Third level education is one avenue available to us to make this possible.

are we on this planet to satisfy our needs? if money would not be an issue , what would you do deep in your heart ?

• Registered Users Posts: 704 ✭✭✭OnLooker

icanmunch wrote: »
    finally managed to load the page. Any course I find is not open to those currently in employment

The majority of them seem to have that but when you click into the course content they allow employed people to attend.

touts wrote: »
    Got rejected did you?[/QUOT

I went on site to see what amazing courses are being thought to the general public, it failed , the site crashed - so we could say it was a heavenly intervention :)

Clareman wrote: »
    I've done 2 Springboard courses now and they are brilliant in my opinion, nothing to do with jobs or careers advancement but as a hobby, you can spend your evenings watching Netflix or whatever you want, personally I did evening courses online and loved every second of them, forgetting about the extra letters after my name or pieces of paper in the post, you get to meet people with similar interests as you have and it is quite a sociable thing.

Now this , you are one in 100s , you deserve to apply and keep going for the joy of study knowledge ! Your courses should be free and should be supported !

I see a lot of people going into fields with very little interest and finding no fulfillment , I believe your journey will yield great friendship and maybe an academic future ahead of you. May I ask what courses have you completed ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭touts

dinneenp wrote: »
    I spoke to them last week. It's not first come, first served. There's a deadline for applications and all submitted will get reviewed.

Thanks. I think I'll leave it until tomorrow so :-)

are we on this planet to satisfy our needs? if money would not be an issue , what would you do deep in your heart ?

Deep in my heart? A Springboard course.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭- bo -

Now this , you are one in 100s , you deserve to apply and keep going for the joy of study knowledge ! Your courses should be free and should be supported !

I see a lot of people going into fields with very little interest and finding no fulfillment , I believe your journey will yield great friendship and maybe an academic future ahead of you. May I ask what courses have you completed ?

Get a grip. It's a bargain alert, not an open discussion on life and fulfillment. Away somewhere else with your wishy washy sh1te...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,440 ✭✭✭✭dvcireland

mad m wrote: »
    I applied for a course in WIT last year, didn't realise it was springboard funded. You pay 10% so I had to pay 500 euro. I had to meet the criteria set out for the course I was doing plus upload a **** load of my qualifications before I was granted funding.

I'm in full time employment and up until Covid I was travelling to WIT in Waterford every 2nd Friday, stayed down there and was in WIT on Saturday till 2pm.
    some providers are fussier than others, one course provider (getreskilled) wanted me to get a written statement from a peace commissioner to prove that i had been resident in ireland,

"...no Joe, you rang me !..." A.Caller.

I completed a course in Springboard about 5 years ago, I applied and was accepted within about a week. Didn't have to upload anything

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

OnLooker wrote: »
    The majority of them seem to have that but when you click into the course content they allow employed people to attend.

Priority has to be given to those that are unemployed.

• Advertisement

- bo - wrote: »
    Get a grip. It's a bargain alert, not an open discussion on life and fulfillment. Away somewhere else with your wishy washy sh1te...

You are right its a bargain site, my point is you can be productive part of society without a degree ,and being self taught, if you feel to deepen yourself in the academic field this is a really great opportunity . If you here only for the bargain and thinking you will profit , you might get disappointed.

My opinion is :

higher degree isn't ≠ better life

also

better job [more money] ≠ a peaceful respectful life and being more productive part of society , unless you can keep your Ego in check :)

Am I being too wishy washy ? I am sorry for being different from you

You are right its a bargain site, my point is you can be productive part of society without a degree ,and being self taught, if you feel to deepen yourself in the academic field this is a really great opportunity . If you here only for the bargain and thinking you will profit , you might get disappointed.

My opinion is :

higher degree isn't ≠ better life

also

better job [more money] ≠ a peaceful respectful life and being more productive part of society , unless you can keep your Ego in check :)

Am I being too wishy washy ? I am sorry for being different from you

Probably should have told yourself this little anecdote 10 years ago.

Any way of getting this @yoshx numpty off the thread? tried to message me asking what I didn't understand.

Let's start with the fact that it looks like you smoked a sizeable bag of mary jane before you type your messages.

Complete and utter tripe. Go and find the spiritual forum

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭contrary_devil

Is the Springboard site being overloaded or what's the problem, I've been trying it for over an hour and it won't load?

Is the Springboard site being overloaded or what's the problem, I've been trying it for over an hour and it won't load?

Yep, looks like it's crashing

• Registered Users Posts: 8,099 ✭✭✭dinneenp

This is it wrote: »
    I completed a course in Springboard about 5 years ago, I applied and was accepted within about a week. Didn't have to upload anything

It's obviously changed since. I know for Sligo PM course you need to upload & also submit, up to 500 words, why you're applying.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,116 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

It's been down for a few hours now I think.

1 was a management course and the other was a technical course that were both outside my normal areas of expertise, both were levels 8 and 9 which is nice :)

dinneenp wrote: »
    It's obviously changed since. I know for Sligo PM course you need to upload & also submit, up to 500 words, why you're applying.

Yeah, it was probably in it's infancy when I started which was 7 or 8 years ago now. More applications means more processes to whittle numbers down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Daniel112

From their twitter page:
    https://twitter.com/SpringboardHEA/status/1276137904000110593

Guess we just try again tomorrow! :rolleyes:

Advertisement