Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭Fe1student1234

IgoPAP wrote: »
    I would imagine the Law Society would need to know a few weeks beforehand that exams can be held in person so they can get the go ahead and start planning. Which is to say they need to know in the next 2 weeks that Dublin will be reduced to Level 2. Considering the effects of the Level 3 restrictions are still not felt yet, and that cases per 100k in Dublin are still rising, the chances of in person exams being held at the start of November is close to nought I think.

I agree they probably won’t be in person in November but I don’t think they’ll be in November at all! Or at least they won’t be at the start of November

Just hoping cases everywhere start to come down - if other counties start going into level 3 idk how the law society will go about exams at all

Just sick of the endless studying at this stage and the not knowing

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭lsheehaneire

Closing date is today for November sitting so at least they will have numbers to work with. Its extremely hard to study when there is no certainty that the exam will go ahead. Is it possible they would push out the dec hybrid start ? ...

• Registered Users Posts: 43 michaelot97

Does my October application carry on to November or do I need to apply again? Left it late to ask but had assumed it would carry over!

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭StabiloLaw

Does my October application carry on to November or do I need to apply again? Left it late to ask but had assumed it would carry over!
    It's carried over, don't worry!

Would I be correct in saying that the chances of in-person exams being held at the start of November in Dublin is approaching zero?

With other venue being Cork and it’s looking like we have a lockdown imminent too I’m feeling it’s very uncertain!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭fe12020oct

Does anyone have the timetable for November exams ?

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭ruby1998

Same my motivation is zero - can’t seem to bring myself to study properly

The relief that other people are feeling the same. I’ve done little to no study in the last 2 weeks and I just can’t bring myself to get back into it. Just feeling guilty 24/7 lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭lawDani

I agree they probably won’t be in person in November but I don’t think they’ll be in November at all! Or at least they won’t be at the start of November

Just hoping cases everywhere start to come down - if other counties start going into level 3 idk how the law society will go about exams at all

Just sick of the endless studying at this stage and the not knowing

at least you're doing the endless studying! lol im finding it difficult to study with no definite finish line..

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭APower79

ruby1998 wrote: »
    The relief that other people are feeling the same. I’ve done little to no study in the last 2 weeks and I just can’t bring myself to get back into it. Just feeling guilty 24/7 lol.

I’m the same. Zero motivation yet I’m constantly thinking about it!

fe12020oct wrote: »
    Does anyone have the timetable for November exams ?

is there one issued? I was off the understanding that we only know that it's the first week of November?

• Advertisement

lawDani wrote: »
    at least you're doing the endless studying! lol im finding it difficult to study with no definite finish line..

Endless study aka sitting in my study with thre book open that’s about as far as I got - can’t bring myself to do it but also feel guilty doing anything else

• Registered Users Posts: 8 andrcamp

Generally speaking, how long does it take to get results of a recheck? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Twinings2016

andrcamp wrote: »
    Generally speaking, how long does it take to get results of a recheck? Thanks

They say six weeks, but was chatting to a lady on the phone today from the LS and she said they will aim to get back to ppl asap, as potentially we will be sitting exams the first week of November and would make no sense to sit an exam, that you have in fact passed (after a re-check).

So.… who knows!!

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Jenosul

APower79 wrote: »
    I’m the same. Zero motivation yet I’m constantly thinking about it!

Lads so glad to hear I am not alone in this. I now know how the leaving certs must have felt! Hopefully the plan is to make a time table. I hear testing yourself is the best way to retain information so thinking of brain storming as a test for each topic. Any study tips welcome in hopes to motivate each other. Also if anyone has any links. I did find some good youtubes on EU law topics such as direct effect just to help recap and a different way to study if you are not feeling like the books and to change it up a little. I also have a poster in my room with lists of cases in black marker I make a habit of reading. Hope this may help. As I said please feel free to share any tips which would be most welcomed.

Jenosul wrote: »
    Lads so glad to hear I am not alone in this. I now know how the leaving certs must have felt! Hopefully the plan is to make a time table. I hear testing yourself is the best way to retain information so thinking of brain storming as a test for each topic. Any study tips welcome in hopes to motivate each other. Also if anyone has any links. I did find some good youtubes on EU law topics such as direct effect just to help recap and a different way to study if you are not feeling like the books and to change it up a little. I also have a poster in my room with lists of cases in black marker I make a habit of reading. Hope this may help. As I said please feel free to share any tips which would be most welcomed.

love this! i find YouTube a help for EU too, any ones you know of for Contract?

i am finding it difficult to focus too but i find for me, re-reading, re-reading sample answers and saying them out loud to myself over and over is a big help - sometimes i may even sing them.. lol! anything to keep the sanity and retain the info...

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Iso_123

I find testing yourself is really helpful and its how I do my revision instead of just re-reading notes. I try to pick 1/2 topics every morning (Eg this morning for constitutional I did freedom of expression) to just test my knowledge on. So i'll usually just have the notes covered and write out all the cases and statute etc on the topic that I can remember and any cases etc that I couldn't remember I just go back over those.

That being said, I am definitely getting fed up with studying at this stage. Can feel the motivation waning but hoping I can just push through it...

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭rickmatt

Hey guys,

Agree with everyone on the no motivation side!!!

Sitting my last two in November (hopefully) Company and Constitutional.

I am so lost with Constitutional and would really appreciate a guide as to what to study, grid pattern etc.

Thanks in advance and hope lockdown isn't too hard on everyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭IgoPAP

NPHET have pretty much admitted today that they're going to recommend an extension of Level 3 in Dublin. So that's another 3 weeks from 9th October. So to at least the beginning of November. I can't see the exams taking place at start of November in person

I wonder what they'll do now.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Hamerzan Sickles

NPHET have pretty much admitted today that they're going to recommend an extension of Level 3 in Dublin. So that's another 3 weeks from 9th October. So to at least the beginning of November. I can't see the exams taking place at start of November in person

I wonder what they'll do now.

It could go online, it could be deferred again and we will be forced to study indefinitely in some limbo like ether. Maybe they'll give us some sort of force majeure collective passes as a token of good will.

I know everyone is stressed (not just from reading the last few posts, but as someone who has posted in this thread for a long time and lurked it even longer, I think it's fair to say most of the regulars fall into the Type-A personality category). But try not to compound the stress of Covid, the uncertainty, the fact that it feels like our lives are being temporarily deferred, etc by speculating needlessly about what will happen with the next sitting. There's simply no way for us to know, and none of us know any better than the rest. Come what may, we'll sit it when the time comes. And these exams have a tendency to come together towards the very end anyway so try not to bother yourself too much about the difficulty of studying for exams without a set date.

The world is in a difficult enough state as it is and we're all experiencing it to some degree on a micro level. Try to keep in mind, regardless of what you think you might have at stake in relation to these exams, at the end of the day, they are just exams, and you will get through them when the time comes.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Jenosul

lawDani wrote: »
    love this! i find YouTube a help for EU too, any ones you know of for Contract?

i am finding it difficult to focus too but i find for me, re-reading, re-reading sample answers and saying them out loud to myself over and over is a big help - sometimes i may even sing them.. lol! anything to keep the sanity and retain the info...

So this is the guy I listen to for EU his name is marcuscleaver. Link to his video on direct effect. I find just listening refreshes my memory.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuHCchLGWx0

The same guy does Contract law videos on topics like Offer etc but he is in the UK so obviously take that into account but great for getting the concepts explained.

I have also real mad ways of studying such as drawing picture of something eg a pic of a match stick man of seamus heaney holding a poetry book with a pic of Ireland eg: Heaney v Ireland being the case. I then put in other things around it to indicate the "story" and cases thereafter on right to silence for instance. I tell it like a story to remember. I am not sure if this would help anyone or not but I use it for some topics and just think of the picture in the exam and it flows from there.

Anyone any tips on retaining new information. This is an area I find difficult!! I get overwhelmed and look at the Griffith notes and think I will never be able to grasp. How do people approach this? Do you pick your cases an stick to them.

Thank you in advance.

It is normal we are finding this hard and a bit stressy due to all the uncertainty. We are all doing great considering! My plan is to be relaxed and not put pressure on myself but give some time to do little test for myself and then take a break from it all and do something nice like go for a hike with my dog or something. I think finding balance is key. Health and mental health is far more important and we are all going to eventually pass these one way or the other.

I am all about the mindfulness and self-care especially when sitting high pressured exams under uncertain conditions (like going for a nice coffee for a study break) and listen to online meditations which I recommend also!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Jeremiah25

Finally after getting my scripts from March this morning, just shy of 6 months later... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭dobby896

It is normal we are finding this hard and a bit stressy due to all the uncertainty. We are all doing great considering! My plan is to be relaxed and not put pressure on myself but give some time to do little test for myself and then take a break from it all and do something nice like go for a hike with my dog or something. I think finding balance is key. Health and mental health is far more important and we are all going to eventually pass these one way or the other.

I am all about the mindfulness and self-care especially when sitting high pressured exams under uncertain conditions (like going for a nice coffee for a study break) and listen to online meditations which I recommend also!

This was lovely to read today after a slightly stressy morning, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Wonderstruck

Hey guys, after finally producing the hard copy of my March 2020 results and being as pushy I could, work agreed I could apprentice in house! No need to look for a new job, see you all virtually for PPC1!!!

Also here's a good Twitter thread on the infringement procedures the EU is bringing against the UK for anyone studying EU law rn

https://mobile.twitter.com/StevePeers/status/1311593912654606336

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭IgoPAP

Hey guys, after finally producing the hard copy of my March 2020 results and being as pushy I could, work agreed I could apprentice in house! No need to look for a new job, see you all virtually for PPC1!!!

Also here's a good Twitter thread on the infringement procedures the EU is bringing against the UK for anyone studying EU law rn

https://mobile.twitter.com/StevePeers/status/1311593912654606336

Congratulations!

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭law_struggles

I got my Tort script back and there wasn't any commentary or markings from the examiner whatsoever. Literally just a number for the percentage given at the end of each question. Looked as if it had been marked incredibly quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭nmurphy1441

I got my Tort script back and there wasn't any commentary or markings from the examiner whatsoever. Literally just a number for the percentage given at the end of each question. Looked as if it had been marked incredibly quickly.

When did you request to see it?

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭law_struggles

When did you request to see it?

September 2nd, when I got the result. I got the script Sept 24th

I had my scripts from March sent to me - none had any commentary - I don’t think they give any tbh they just look for the key cases and key words

I’m still waiting for my Tort one

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Kaaazer

What is the current prospective date for EU in November?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭nmurphy1441

September 2nd, when I got the result. I got the script Sept 24th

Doesn’t sound good for me... got my August results the second results date so looks like I’ll be waiting another week or so! Won’t make the recheck deadline!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement