Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Instant access to 5000 newspapers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

went to library today, did the thing, not working for me this week, asking me to pay now for indo, examiner. times is free though.

The Irish times appears to be intermediately available without VPN, must be a glitch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 957 ✭✭✭80j2lc5y7u6qs9

it worked first time only for me

Did the library thing on monday, worked until yesterday when it asked me to pay again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 957 ✭✭✭80j2lc5y7u6qs9

sweetie wrote: »
    Did the library thing on monday, worked until yesterday when it asked me to pay again.
    did you use the same 7 digits? i didn't, maybe linked to ip?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

did you use the same 7 digits? i didn't, maybe linked to ip?
    The app certainly has some location tracking which appears to work even when you have not allowed it for the app.

It knew I had moved from Kerry to Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭One More Toy

Can someone explain how to avail of this? Is the OP correct still?

Edit:nevermind, went to post 311,thanks so much very handy!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 willlJoe

How would you get access to the Irish independent? would you have to turn off the VPN to get access to it>. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,535 ✭✭✭JTMan

willlJoe wrote: »
    How would you get access to the Irish independent?

Yes.
    willlJoe wrote: »
    How would you get access to the Irish independent?
    would you have to turn off the VPN to get access to it>. Thanks

Turn on VPN. See post 311.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭whiz

JTMan wrote: »
    Huh? I don't have a paid Pressreader account.

The steps are simple:
    - Load http://library.pressdisplay.com/pressdisplay/viewer.aspx on a desktop
    - Download Hola (free) and switch to an non-Irish country
    - Input 900000000 as your library card.
    - You have access to INM and Irish Times in the Ireland section.

Hi Guys is there any free VPN for the iPad ?

Any response appreciated

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭One More Toy

whiz wrote: »
    Hi Guys is there any free VPN for the iPad ?

Any response appreciated

Try windscribe

Try windscribe

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭3d4life

JTMan wrote: »
    Yes.

Turn on VPN. See post 311.

You may also need to temp disable some security stuff ( I found Ghostery blocked access on one laptop ). Once thru login all OK even tho reenabled.

ive given up on getting the indo legitimately, seems to only work the day you go to library now.

I tried that, when i turn off the VPN and turn on the VPN i still cant get access to the Irish Independent, I'm getting Irish examiner, mirror and a few more, should I be able to????.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

ive given up on getting the indo legitimately, seems to only work the day you go to library now.

I wonder if that intentional.. like they don't want to give it all away for free?

Edit - are you all trying it with the real library card number or a fake one?

Got it working, set the VPN to united states and you can get access to a lot more.

Is there anyway to access Irish independent on an iPad / Tablet?
    Note I have a VPN so I can change country etc if that helps.

Any response appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭curryman

Do any of the papers or mags still work for people i can see the front page of all but once i click next page i get thrown back to home page

• Registered Users Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Kat1170

curryman wrote: »
    Do any of the papers or mags still work for people i can see the front page of all but once i click next page i get thrown back to home page

Just checked, working fine for me using Wicklow library card.

• Advertisement

whiz wrote: »
    Is there anyway to access Irish independent on an iPad / Tablet?
    Note I have a VPN so I can change country etc if that helps.

Any response appreciated

no way anymore unless you go to the library every day

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭3d4life

curryman wrote: »

Working for me ( windows with firefox )

Follow post 311 ( Java needs to be enabled, some security / anti virus programs may need to be disabled for the logon phase )

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭curryman

3d4life wrote: »
    Working for me ( windows with firefox )

Follow post 311 ( Java needs to be enabled, some security / anti virus programs may need to be disabled for the logon phase )

worked cheers

no way anymore unless you go to the library every day
    I'm sure Adrian reads these threads, so it gets back to the Indo.

The issue really is whether the library could pay for better access for us. Given how little service they can give in the current circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭timple23

Is there an other way of getting the Irish Independent free online. The press reader doesn't have the article I am looking for as a page is skipped.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,535 ✭✭✭JTMan

timple23 wrote: »
    Is there an other way of getting the Irish Independent free online. The press reader doesn't have the article I am looking for as a page is skipped.

Revolut are currently giving 1 month free sub to the Independent via their rewards section.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭damo86

Is it just me or has most newspapers been removed, Irish times and the examiner is gone?

I’m using the PressReader App.

Many thanks

edit: never mind...went back a few posts all very sad!

I'm assuming this page was never updated and is wrong..........

Irish newspapers are available when you access Pressreader using the Wi-Fi in any public library and you can retain access by using the app. This means that for the next 5 days you can continue to access new editions of Independent News & Media Group Limited (INM) titles without needing to go back to the library.

https://www.dublincity.ie/residential/libraries/using-your-library/eresources#pressreader

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭jacool

KOR101 wrote: »
    The issue really is whether the library could pay for better access for us. Given how little service they can give in the current circumstances.
    There's a guy in Carrigaline sitting in his car opposite the library, every day, clearly using the library Wifi to connect his laptop.
    That must qualify as their "little service".

Wouldn't like to be offered a seat in that car of an evening, even more so, when on occasion he goes for a run before driving home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,367 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Having issues reading papers now
    Use a VPN and the random 8 digit number. I can click to the front newspaper page, trying to read it or inner pages, it reverts to the homepage

Solution?

Advertisement