Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

22-01-2019, 07:43   #1
sticker

Wordpress Theme Forest Themes

Hi All,

Anyone use Theme Forest themes in Wordpress?

If I buy a copy of a good seller, can I only use this once per wordpress install? I've heard I need a key provided at purchase per install...?

Thanks!
Advertisement
22-01-2019, 08:22   #2
Kenny Logins

GPL licence means you're not paying to use the theme itself, just to access the files, and to get support and updates.

Beware though - a lot of commercial themes look great in the demo but are a complete clusterfūck of plugins and page builder shortcodes underneath making them difficult to setup and manage.
Thanks from:
22-01-2019, 09:07   #3
sticker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Logins View Post
GPL licence means you're not paying to use the theme itself, just to access the files, and to get support and updates.

Beware though - a lot of commercial themes look great in the demo but are a complete clusterfūck of plugins and page builder shortcodes underneath making them difficult to setup and manage.
Many Thanks. I see a lot of coverage on the Elegant Themes Divi. Theres a fee for annual use, have you used this? The custom page builder looks impressive on a few YouTube guides...
22-01-2019, 10:57   #4
Kenny Logins

Quote:
Originally Posted by sticker View Post
Many Thanks. I see a lot of coverage on the Elegant Themes Divi. Theres a fee for annual use, have you used this? The custom page builder looks impressive on a few YouTube guides...
Yeah, to have used it once on a customer site but wouldn't again - I'm sure I could have done it faster and tidier without it. Do you really need all those features (distractions)? Is it your own site that you will be updating, or a customer's?

BTW that's under the GPL licence also, so you don't have to renew each year unless you need support and updates.
Thanks from:
22-01-2019, 11:00   #5
sticker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Logins View Post
Yeah, to have used it once on a customer site but wouldn't again - I'm sure I could have done it faster and tidier without it. Do you really need all those features (distractions)? Is it your own site that you will be updating, or a customer's?

BTW that's under the GPL licence also, so you don't have to renew each year unless you need support and updates.
I have been working for many clients with html5 but looking to migrate my toolset to Wordpress for ecommerce etc.

I suppose a quick look at guides for Divi look to make design a very simple experiecne for a very polished result, but a look online has many critics saying the like of Divi mucks up the code...
Advertisement
22-01-2019, 11:10   #6
Kenny Logins

WordPress has its own blocks editor now anyway, "Gutenberg", and this might have an effect on the big themes and page builders. With Divi you have to decide what features you don't want and then find that there's very little that you do.
22-01-2019, 12:23   #7
Graham

When you buy from Themeforest, the standard licenses are something like this:

Quote:
Regular License

Use, by you or one client, in a single end product which end users are not charged for. The total price includes the item price and a buyer fee.
If you find a theme that you think will do absolutely everything and comes bundled with dozens of plugins, I'd avoid it like the plague. It will be bloaty, slow and take hours/days of customisation.
Thanks from:
22-01-2019, 12:27   #8
sticker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
When you buy from Themeforest, the standard licenses are something like this:

If you find a theme that you think will do absolutely everything and comes bundled with dozens of plugins, I'd avoid it like the plague. It will be bloaty, slow and take hours/days of customisation.
OK - Many Thanks.
22-01-2019, 13:07   #9
sticker

While I have you, what is the general source of content do professional WordPress developers use for small business - Theme Forest? I'm using them for years for my html5 work...
Advertisement
22-01-2019, 14:56   #10
Graham

That really depends on the end of the market your pitching at. If you pricing is in the 3 or low 4 figure range then something you can customise (rather than design from scratch) is the only realistic option.

If your clients budgets starts moving up, you can start and consider custom designs/themes.

The low budget small business end of the market is absolutely cut-throat. You're competing with freelancer marketplaces, off-shore freelancers and beer-money 'developers'. It's not a nice end of the pool to be paddling in.
Thanks from:
22-01-2019, 16:44   #11
wonga77

I find that themes from themeforest are built in such a way that really leave you stuck with them so to speak. I have worked on a few different themes with built-in page builders and they are dreadful to deal with. Especially when you are not used to the little details that go with them.
For me, a nice simple theme like generate press or astra has tonnes of options without overloading your site full of junk.
Re other builders - Divi is incredibly popular but leaves a lot of shortcodes if you ever decide to move away from it. Beaver Builder and Elementor are streets ahead of the rest imo.
Theres usually a bit of trial and error before finding a solution that works for you
22-01-2019, 16:53   #12
Axwell

As above the main issue with any of those page builders on ThemeForest is bloat and the fact they use shortcodes - as does Divi. Down the line, if you ever want to change to a different editor your website is broken. Shortcodes tend to also not perform well for SEO.

If you are looking at options then using Beaver Builder or Elementor are a much better choice and using a lightweight theme like Generate Press or Astra. You are basically starting from scratch with a lot less bloat and not restricted or tied to shortcodes.
Thanks from:
22-01-2019, 16:54   #13
sticker

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonga77 View Post
I find that themes from themeforest are built in such a way that really leave you stuck with them so to speak. I have worked on a few different themes with built-in page builders and they are dreadful to deal with. Especially when you are not used to the little details that go with them.
For me, a nice simple theme like generate press or astra has tonnes of options without overloading your site full of junk.
Re other builders - Divi is incredibly popular but leaves a lot of shortcodes if you ever decide to move away from it. Beaver Builder and Elementor are streets ahead of the rest imo.
Theres usually a bit of trial and error before finding a solution that works for you
Thanks! - I really like the look of Divi to be honest. Have you used it yourself? I want to start on a platform that works well with good SEO / ecommerce plugins...
22-01-2019, 16:56   #14
sticker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axwell View Post
As above the main issue with any of those page builders on ThemeForest is bloat and the fact they use shortcodes - as does Divi. Down the line, if you ever want to change to a different editor your website is broken. Shortcodes tend to also not perform well for SEO.

If you are looking at options then using Beaver Builder or Elementor are a much better choice and using a lightweight theme like Generate Press or Astra. You are basically starting from scratch with a lot less bloat and not restricted or tied to shortcodes.
Thanks - Didn;t see this post before my last post. I'd be happy to shell out for Beaver Builder if you feel its a better solution. I suppose the quick fix and instant drag and drop of great layouts makes Divi very appetising!
22-01-2019, 17:18   #15
Kenny Logins

I purchased one specific theme at a customer's request but when I saw how the demo sites were built I had to abandon it. It was a complete mess and relied heavily on plugins for even basic stuff. Nightmare.

As mentioned above, GeneratePress is excellent and works well with Elementor if you need an extra kick for the front page or whatever. GP Premium unlocks more features (most are accessed in the WordPress customiser) and is only €50 or something for unlimited sites.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion