Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

National Broadband Ireland : implementation and progress

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Gary kk

I guess to be fair they have been good up to now. It is shown the limit of fixed LTE well I guess I don't know how people it fiber are getting on.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭allanpkr

Gary kk wrote: »
    I guess to be fair they have been good up to now. It is shown the limit of fixed LTE well I guess I don't know how people it fiber are getting on.

well, safe to say they are most likely getting better results than wisp customers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

****e. But I'm assuming that's across the board with all wisps. Haven't even bothered complaining. People working from home and kids off is crippling the service

Apparrsntly., Mobile operators have seen a 30% increase in data usage

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Just reading up on this. Are they really going to waste a year setting up BCPs as hubs that they expect people with no decent broadband to travel to? Or have I completely misunderstood what a BCP is?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭user1842

Just reading up on this. Are they really going to waste a year setting up BCPs as hubs that they expect people with no decent broadband to travel to? Or have I completely misunderstood what a BCP is?

Nope you are correct and these BCPs are a waste of time and money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭rodge123

user1842 wrote: »

Even more so now with covid19 around for who knows how long requiring social distancing. Not that they could have predicted this.

Jesus, we'll be bringing the kids to the local GAA club to play a game of Fortnite rather than football soon so.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭johnnyboy08

Does anyone know what the story with the rollout plan is? It's been as a few weeks on their website since December.

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Gary kk

Nothing concrete a few cameos with guys out surveying in cork and cavan i think

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 11,632 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

This is still running as normal so? Fair to say?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,476 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Who will fix all of Open Eirs poles?

Open-eir or one of its contractors.

The Cush wrote: »
    Open-eir or one of its contractors.

Do you think Open-eir will do this is any proper time frame. I think this will massively delay the NBP.

Do you think Open-eir will do this is any proper time frame.

I do because they will have signed contracts which I assume will include timeframes and in return open-eir get paid a handsome €1bn of public money in the process, add to that eir may sign up many of those premises passed as customers, business is business.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

I do because they will have signed contracts which I assume will include timeframes and in return open-eir get paid a handsome €1bn of public money in the process, add to that eir may sign up many of those premises passed as customers, business is business.

New customers without having to maintain the network to them, Eir will benefit from this but who cares if rural dwellers like myself can finally get FTTH. We really are lucky the contract got signed prior to the Coronavirus outbreak or we may be held back another 20 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭db

I had an NBI surveyor checking the poles outside my house today so I went out for a chat. We are in a gap between two runs of Eir fibre, 500m from one end and 1km from the other. He told me that NBI would be running fibre from the local exchange (about 5km away) to fill in the gap and connect us up. He was checking both the condition of the poles and the access into the houses, routing of the wires and which pole each house was connected to.

He told me that there is a draft plan but it would not be finalised until the surveys are completed so I would guess as they finish the survey on each area they will complete that section of the plan and people would then be able to find out when they should be able to get connected. He said they should be running the cable for our section before the end of the year. Obviously, I'll believe that when I see the cable on the poles but at least it looks like we will be in one of the early phases. It's also good to see that they are working away so the current crisis shouldn't be any reason for delay.

I am in a rural area about 10km from Limerick city.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,632 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

db wrote: »
    I had an NBI surveyor checking the poles outside my house today so I went out for a chat. We are in a gap between two runs of Eir fibre, 500m from one end and 1km from the other. He told me that NBI would be running fibre from the local exchange (about 5km away) to fill in the gap and connect us up. He was checking both the condition of the poles and the access into the houses, routing of the wires and which pole each house was connected to.

He told me that there is a draft plan but it would not be finalised until the surveys are completed so I would guess as they finish the survey on each area they will complete that section of the plan and people would then be able to find out when they should be able to get connected. He said they should be running the cable for our section before the end of the year. Obviously, I'll believe that when I see the cable on the poles but at least it looks like we will be in one of the early phases. It's also good to see that they are working away so the current crisis shouldn't be any reason for delay.

I'm guessing they'll try sort out the cities first, ie Cork, Galway, Limerick, Waterford etc before moving out into rural regions so the fact you're up there makes sense. We had surveyors here in Rochestown, Cork City in January/February.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Jofspring

db wrote: »

Out of interest what direction would you be in . Out Kilmallock way or out askeaton direction. Reason I ask is I have seen vans working for months on the main road (old cork road) but the vans never had any company name on them. Wondering are they for Eir or are they for NBP.

Eir stop their service about 200 metres from my house so I'm on the NBP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭db

Jofspring wrote: »
    Out of interest what direction would you be in . Out Kilmallock way or out askeaton direction. Reason I ask is I have seen vans working for months on the main road (old cork road) but the vans never had any company name on them. Wondering are they for Eir or are they for NBP.

Eir stop their service about 200 metres from my house so I'm on the NBP.

I'm actually over the Clare border so the opposite direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭clohamon

Confirmation of NBP from joint FF/FG government facilitation document
    Mission: A Better Quality of Life for All
    We are committed to drawing on the sense of community and solidarity that has been displayed in such strength throughout the Covid-19 Emergency. We will use this to provide a basis for improving the quality of life for individuals and families across Ireland, reflecting the anxieties of citizens around commuting, regional imbalance, and a lack of time with family. The importance of parks, green spaces and other outdoor recreation is clearly essential to the wellbeing of the Irish people.
    In order to do this, we will:
    i. Prioritise balanced regional development across Ireland in policy- making, ensuring that every part of the country has a chance to prosper.
    ii. Implement the National Broadband Plan (NBP).

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Dero

clohamon wrote: »

I think it's fair to say that the current crisis has shown the value of having a proper national broadband infrastructure.

Just spin to get into government, I wouldn't hold my breath that rural Ireland will have anything resembling fibre broadband on a national level by the time another election comes around. /rant

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭allanpkr

Just spin to get into government, I wouldn't hold my breath that rural Ireland will have anything resembling fibre broadband on a national level by the time another election comes around.

well everyone knows the timeline of project. nothing to do with govn now.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Dylbag

I see on the NBI website that a Broadband connection point is planned for the premises next to my work place. Is it wrong to assume that once they connect it up then the lines that are going to it from the exchange would be open to getting broadband, as they go right by my business.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭clohamon

Dylbag wrote: »
    I see on the NBI website that a Broadband connection point is planned for the premises next to my work place. Is it wrong to assume that once they connect it up then the lines that are going to it from the exchange would be open to getting broadband, as they go right by my business.

The Broadband connection points are temporary WiFi hubs for very rural communities. They will be connected to the wider network by microwave links (wireless) not fibre.
    If you're right beside the BCP, the WiFi might be usable but AFAIK there are no plans to extend the WiFI to local businesses before the main Fibre-to-the-Premises network reaches you. Information on the main roll-out is very thin and likely to remain so.

Saw my first NBI van today, on the outskirts of Limerick city, between the Annacotty roundabout and Chawkes. One of the 2 lads was having a look in a manhole.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Saw my first NBI van today, on the outskirts of Limerick city, between the Annacotty roundabout and Chawkes. One of the 2 lads was having a look in a manhole.

Ya have seen the vans in the area also out past Ballyneety. Seem to be starting out this direction now. That or they are driving around in circles to give the illusion they are out this way.

Advertisement