Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Eir rural FTTH thread III

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

daraghwal wrote: »
    When they sort this out and FTTH is installed. Will the phone work through VOIP and the POTS phoneline or what way does that work? I suppose what I really want to know is can they go and take out that phone line when they come and put in the fibre.

It will be one or the other, not both. Generally where there was an active copper phone line in place the phone service was left on copper although I believe there were instances where people were moved to VoIP. I'm not sure what the criteria, if any, they have for doing this.

There is no real benefit to the VoIP service anyway. At least the copper line will work in a power cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭daraghwal

It will be one or the other, not both. Generally where there was an active copper phone line in place the phone service was left on copper although I believe there were instances where people were moved to VoIP. I'm not sure what the criteria, if any, they have for doing this.

There is no real benefit to the VoIP service anyway. At least the copper line will work in a power cut.

I was just wondering as I had the phone points around the house wired up to come from where the router is. I will have to do a bit of rearranging now :( Thanks anyway

I was just wondering as I had the phone points around the house wired up to come from where the router is. I will have to do a bit of rearranging now :( Thanks anyway

I hope you don't have any issues having the phone line linked to FTTH. If you enter the phone number here is FTTH available?

https://www.eir.ie/broadband/checkyourline/

I hope you don't have any issues having the phone line linked to FTTH. If you enter the phone number here is FTTH available?

https://www.eir.ie/broadband/checkyourline/

I don't have the phone number at the moment but will check.
    They've spent over a month getting the eircode added to FTTH list and then this happens...

I don't have the phone number at the moment but will check.
    They've spent over a month getting the eircode added to FTTH list and then this happens...

Hopefully the number is linked to the Eircode and you should be able to order without issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

That might well be true for an Eir connection, but ONLY because Eir prevent the user from setting up any alternative VOIP provider in their locked down router so they can continue to rip off customers with high prices for phone calls.
    Other providers do not take this attitude.

That might well be true for an Eir connection, but ONLY because Eir prevent the user from setting up any alternative VOIP provider in their locked down router so they can continue to rip off customers with high prices for phone calls.
    Other providers do not take this attitude.

Yes Johnboy, I've had a (non eir) VoIP line myself for 12 years. I was only referring to the eir service which offers no real benefit over a traditional line.

Yes Johnboy, I've had a (non eir) VoIP line myself for 12 years. I was only referring to the eir service which offers no real benefit over a traditional line.

I added the post in case a reader was left with the impression that this was a universal truism even though posted in an Eir FTTH thread ;)

(I had my first VOIP 'line' back in 2005 {maybe end 2004 memory ain't what it should be :)})

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

Most get moved to VoIP there's a entire area that had ADSL or nothing and unlike many areas they all knew fibre was being rolled out the day it was available for install 40 teams rolled into town getting half the village installed and up and running. Every second person was pulling up to me telling me they have the fibre installed earlier but the phone is not working who do they report the fault to.
    Plug it in your modem your phone line got ported to VoIP over the modem. Not all cases get it ported but many do sometimes people request to keep it on the copper for various reasons such as old phonewatch alarm or one of those elderly bracelet monitors that are tied to the phone line you fall and croak the dialler calls a bloke.
    I presume it's the norm that your line will be ported unless you state you don't want it moved.

Well one person told me he could hear rte radio on his phone line for years while he was talking to people on the phone but they couldn't hear it. The lines were picking up radio stations
    Had engineers out time and time again but the problem always came back
    Possibly a rusty connection making the line act like a crystal radio or some such. When he got VoIP it was clear. I've heard complaints of random dropped calls though with VoIP.

• Advertisement

I suppose it makes sense that if they want people off copper they will migrate them but that makes what happened to daraghwal even more bizarre.

babi-hrse wrote: »
    Most get moved to VoIP there's a entire area that had ADSL or nothing and unlike many areas they all knew fibre was being rolled out the day it was available for install 40 teams rolled into town getting half the village installed and up and running. Every second person was pulling up to me telling me they have the fibre installed earlier but the phone is not working who do they report the fault to.
    Plug it in your modem your phone line got ported to VoIP over the modem. Not all cases get it ported but many do sometimes people request to keep it on the copper for various reasons such as old phonewatch alarm or one of those elderly bracelet monitors that are tied to the phone line you fall and croak the dialler calls a bloke.
    I presume it's the norm that your line will be ported unless you state you don't want it moved.

I dunno ...... I was left with the copper line when Eir installed FTTH and I definitely had no need of it, as I had been using VOIP for many years previously over DSL.
    It was changed to VOIP when I changed provider.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Gunner3629

Gonzo wrote: »
    Eir's rural FTTH rollout must be heading into it's final stages by now. Are there any areas still not started?

Mine in Killeagh, Co. Cork. Originally was “second half of 2018” and currently says “first half of 2019”.

I really do question if they will ever get to me during this rollout project.

I can't say for sure and saying this is what happened is bordering on speculation but I have seen a few cases where it seems customer asks for fibre and says it's available the person on the other end taps details into computer gets nothing then asks what area the customer lives in and pulls entire geographic region of district and it probably comes up broadband is available not ftth as that's fixed to the address but fttc (VDSL) and ADSL
    Because when I see an order for a phone line im not given a fixed address I'm not given a cable path sometimes it's just cab 13 first distribution point on position 1 in box 1 which is more or less saying we made it up. I go to the address and they're 3km from the box and 7km from mentioned with isn't an issue it just means your not relying on notes. You pull a working number which tells you it's not even going through that cab and sometimes not even that exchange
    given. The phone line gets built.
    Then the provider tests it a couple days later and says sorry it's too far out to provide broadband over the copper path.
    That's not to say that's daraghwals case but it happens more frequently than you'd think.
    If he ordered ftth and can get ftth then it should be a ftth install not a copper prequal unless he got some bundle that says he's getting both.

babi-hrse wrote: »
    I can't say for sure and saying this is what happened is bordering on speculation but I have seen a few cases where it seems customer asks for fibre and says it's available the person on the other end taps details into computer gets nothing then asks what area the customer lives in and pulls entire geographic region of district and it probably comes up broadband is available not ftth as that's fixed to the address but fttc (VDSL) and ADSL
    Because when I see an order for a phone line im not given a fixed address I'm not given a cable path sometimes it's just cab 13 first distribution point on position 1 in box 1 which is more or less saying we made it up. I go to the address and they're 3km from the box and 7km from mentioned with isn't an issue it just means your not relying on notes. You pull a working number which tells you it's not even going through that cab and sometimes not even that exchange
    given. The phone line gets built.
    Then the provider tests it a couple days later and says sorry it's too far out to provide broadband over the copper path.
    That's not to say that's daraghwals case but it happens more frequently than you'd think.
    If he ordered ftth and can get ftth then it should be a ftth install not a copper prequal unless he got some bundle that says he's getting both.

Most likely the bundle in this case then. They already tried to do a phone install a few weeks ago and was ~12km from exchange. I don't know what changed. Maybe a slot came available in the nearer cab or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Most likely the bundle in this case then. They already tried to do a phone install a few weeks ago and was ~12km from exchange. I don't know what changed. Maybe a slot came available in the nearer cab or something.

If this is FTTH, then there is no cabs. It all comes from the exchange and it gets wired to the nearest DP (distribution point). Cabs are for copper.

/M

Marlow wrote: »
    If this is FTTH, then there is no cabs. It all comes from the exchange and it gets wired to the nearest DP (distribution point). Cabs are for copper.

/M

This was for a copper phoneline/mix up with FTTH - I probably should have made another thread with my query yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,651 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

This was for a copper phoneline/mix up with FTTH - I probably should have made another thread with my query yesterday.

There is a DP near the house?

cnocbui wrote: »
    There is a DP near the house?

Yes, FTTH is not the issue. The house is added to the FTTH map and everything with DPs just up the road. They just brought in a phone line when it was supposed to be a FTTH install saying a phone line needed to be installed first.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Phoneline also does not come from the cabinet. It may pass through the cabinet. It comes from the exchange.

Cabinet is for VDSL (what Eir call eFibre, essentially FTTC) only. So it has nothing to do with this.

/M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,651 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Is it your house or are you renting? I think earlier you mentioned an owner.

Marlow wrote: »
    Phoneline also does not come from the cabinet. It may pass through the cabinet. It comes from the exchange.

Cabinet is for VDSL (what Eir call eFibre, essentially FTTC) only. So it has nothing to do with this.

/M

I didn't realise this. Then I don't know what changed then. 2 weeks ago they said they couldn't get a traditional phoneline due to being >12km from exchange. The house is in the middle of a village and everyone else has a phone so I don't know what that was aboout... That day the engineer said they needed to order FTTH and get phone through VOIP on that. Only got the house added to FTTH list this week and order confirmed for FTTH with eir. Then they come out yesterday and install a copper phone line when a FTTH install was scheduled... I may wait until tomorrow to see what is going on. All I know is they insisted on a copper line being installed yesterday.
    cnocbui wrote: »
    Is it your house or are you renting? I think earlier you mentioned an owner.

I did the internal ethernet switch, phone points etc. for the owner.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭limktime

I didn't realise this. Then I don't know what changed then. 2 weeks ago they said they couldn't get a traditional phoneline due to being >12km from exchange. The house is in the middle of a village and everyone else has a phone so I don't know what that was aboout... That day the engineer said they needed to order FTTH and get phone through VOIP on that. Only got the house added to FTTH list this week and order confirmed for FTTH with eir. Then they come out yesterday and install a copper phone line when a FTTH install was scheduled... I may wait until tomorrow to see what is going on. All I know is they insisted on a copper line being installed yesterday.

I did the internal ethernet switch, phone points etc. for the owner.

Anytime I query with Eir on availability of FTTH, they keep telling me I need to get a phone line installed. I've refused every time because I don't see why I'd need a copper phoneline installed, there is no copper infrastructure here anyway as it's a new estate(yet they are constantly sending KN out to look down a hole and confirm this when neighbours try to order broadband) and I've absolutely no intention of going with Eir anyway but every time they try the same thing. They're a joke.

My house is/was under the Eir commitment of 300,000 from 2016 and is still showing up on Eir website as 'first half of 2019'.

Now, however, I see on the Government website map I am after changing to amber:

https://www.dccae.gov.ie/en-ie/communications/topics/Broadband/national-broadband-plan/high-speed-broadband-map/Pages/Interactive-Map.aspx

Eircode xxx xxx is in the AMBER AREA
    Your premises is in an area that is not considered commercial by operators. This area will be covered under the State Intervention of the National Broadband Plan. Your premises was brought into the Amber area, following the 2019 NBP Mapping Consultation.

What can I take from this, that Eir will no longer be deploying this and will be leaving it to Granahan McCourt and co. (NBI) which will mean a some more years of a wait?

Or Eir will still deploy this and lease the it to NBI?

This change has seemed to have happened recently. Last time I checked dccae I was light blue colour:

Gunner3629 wrote: »
    My house is/was under the Eir commitment of 300,000 from 2016 and is still showing up on Eir website as 'first half of 2019'.

https://www.dccae.gov.ie/en-ie/communications/topics/Broadband/national-broadband-plan/high-speed-broadband-map/Pages/Interactive-Map.aspx

Your premises is in an area that is not considered commercial by operators. This area will be covered under the State Intervention of the National Broadband Plan. Your premises was brought into the Amber area, following the 2019 NBP Mapping Consultation.

What can I take from this, that Eir will no longer be deploying this and will be leaving it to Granahan McCourt and co. (NBI) which will mean a some more years of a wait?

This change has seemed to have happened recently. Last time I checked dccae I was light blue colour:

Trying your eircode here will give you the most accurate information at the moment.

https://www.airwire.ie/index.php/avail

Trying your eircode here will give you the most accurate information at the moment.

https://www.airwire.ie/index.php/avail

There is nothing noteworthy on Airwire, as it is not yet deployed.

If the premises has changed colour it is not a good sign. That would say to me that eir have informed the DCCAE that you will not be passed by them and you would have to wait for NBI.

The only hope you have is that in the latest figures there are 10032 premise remaining of the 300k that they agreed with the DCCAE and you may be one of those. That does not explain why the premises changed colour though.

Has there been any sign of work in your area, poles replaced etc? Is any of the exchange area live?

If the premises has changed colour it is not a good sign. That would say to me that eir have informed the DCCAE that you will not be passed by them and you would have to wait for NBI.

The only hope you have is that in the latest figures there are 10032 premise remaining of the 300k that they agreed with the DCCAE and you may be one of those. That does not explain why the premises changed colour though.

Has there been any sign of work in your area, poles replaced etc? Is any of the exchange area live?

Thanks Navi, it does sound like that, that during a mapping consultation it was decided to be move to NBI because it was not yet passed.

Based on your figures link, there are 1,813 homes remaining in the commitment, I guess I can only hope I'm still in that.

There was some activity about 2 months ago by KN in the area, nearby my place and down the road closer to the exchange (Killeagh - 5km away). Nothing since then.

Thanks Navi, it does sound like that, that during a mapping consultation it was decided to be move to NBI because it was not yet passed.

Based on your figures link, there are 1,813 homes remaining in the commitment for Cork, I guess I can only hope I'm still in that.

There was some activity about 2 months ago by KN in the area, nearby my place and down the road closer to the exchange (Killeagh - 5km away). Nothing since then.

I just looked at the map there and pretty much every premises in Killeagh that was due to be passed as part of the 300k is now in the NBP. It could be a mix-up in the mapping or potentially eir have abandoned the remaining premises. There is no sure way of knowing unfortunately.

• Advertisement

I just looked at the map there and pretty much every premises in Killeagh that was due to be passed as part of the 300k is now in the NBP. It could be a mix-up in the mapping or potentially eir have abandoned the remaining premises. There is no sure way of knowing unfortunately.

Probably the former - abandoned the remaining - as a nearby community centre (Inch) has been allocated 'a hub' as part of the 300 rural 'connection points'.
    I guess I'll live in hope.

Advertisement