Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Boards.ie Explainer: FTTH and You

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

The 100 Mbit/s hard limit is a dead giveaway.

That cable is either not good enough or only crimped for 100 Mbit/s.

If your sync between your router and the ONT only is 100 Mbit/s, then that's all you get.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭littlecopilot

Marlow wrote: »
    The 100 Mbit/s hard limit is a dead giveaway.

That cable is either not good enough or only crimped for 100 Mbit/s.

If your sync between your router and the ONT only is 100 Mbit/s, then that's all you get.

/M

I've signed up for 300Mb. It's now at 140Mb+

I've signed up for 300Mb. It's now at 140Mb+

Take your router and bring it to the ONT. Use the cable supplied, when the ONT was installed. Use a cable between your router and the computer. Don't use wireless.

Test again and see, if you get 300 Mbit/s. Make sure to test on speedtest.net and make sure to use the Galway, Sligo or Carlow servers. Other servers may not have enough bandwidth.

That way you know, if the problem is with your cabling or your broadband.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 11,714 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

sorry to jump in - could he not just plug the ethernet cable from the ONT strait into his Laptop with ethernet port (just for testing speed purpose because of the security aspect) but with a few things to note:

Up to date laptop with 10/100/1000 Ethernet chip,
    enable Vlan on Laptop ethernet settings,
    Check with ookla speedtest through Firefox and not chrome or edge,
    Using the Sligo Nortwest Boadband server

to get a true speed cutting out the router and cat 5 cable - then if not 300 or near 300 then fault lies with cable or router or both .

correct me if I'm wrong though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

It would work but is not advised. Temperately moving a router from one room in the house to another is hardly much of an inconvenience.
    And as said cat5 is not good for stable speeds above 100Mbit he need to test with cat5e or better.

• Advertisement

Enabling Vlan settings on the ethernet interface is over the top for most.

And that will only work with Eir. With other providers you would also need to create a PPPoE session on the PC then with the correct credentials. Moving the router is plug and play.

/M

in this particular instance yes it most probably more than likely is the cat5 reducing the speed.

But could there ever be an instance where a Faulty LAN router ever develop a fault with speeds being restricted? - either with its ethernet socket or firmware of the router? or something like that?

I've laptop plugged directly into router (right beside it) and it topping out at 120Mbps. I rang engineer back and he said he just wires it up I have to ring eir. I rang eir twice (first with mobile and ran out of credit 12euros after 20 mins) and had to hang up again after holding for 45mins.

Are you sure the cable and network interface in the laptop supports gigabit ethernet?

It should look like this
    78e22d01eed8acde3b21e6d951b716c6.png

Check what it says under speed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

I've laptop plugged directly into router (right beside it) and it topping out at 120Mbps. I rang engineer back and he said he just wires it up I have to ring eir. I rang eir twice (first with mobile and ran out of credit 12euros after 20 mins) and had to hang up again after holding for 45mins.

Can the machine you are testing on even do 300Mb? Have you tested it over the LAN with something like LAN speed test or iPerf? You'll need two machines with gigabit ports.

Also sofware like anti-virus or firewalls can have a detrimental effect on speed. Have you any of these running.

Posts the model and specs of the machine you are using.

• Advertisement

tuxy wrote: »
    Are you sure the cable and network interface in the laptop supports gigabit ethernet?

It should look like this

Check what it says under speed.

Yes of course. Think I'm just on the wrong profile. Can't contact anyone is the most fustrating bit to be honest

Yes of course. Think I'm just on the wrong profile. Can't contact anyone is the most fustrating bit to be honest

You should be at 140Mb down if you were on 150Mb. What upload are you getting?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

If it were the profile you'd see 145Mb. 120Mb doesnt make sense that its the infra.

Is this some old Toshiba from 2008?

EDIT: 140 Above. So it could be the profile and other activity. If you upload is 30Mb then we know.

ED E wrote: »
    If it were the profile you'd see 145Mb. 120Mb doesnt make sense that its the infra.

Is this some old Toshiba from 2008?

No lol. I've new xps 15, 16gb ram 512 ssd. Also a good desktop wired. Done speed on both and I know it's wireless on my note 8 beside router. All getting 100-120Mbps down and 45 - 50Mbps upload

No lol. I've new xps 15, 16gb ram 512 ssd. Also a good desktop wired. Done speed on both and I know it's wireless on my note 8 beside router. All getting 100-120Mbps down and 45 - 50Mbps upload

You're on the correct package so. 30 Mbit up is max for the 150mb package. 50 up is for 300.
    Something's not right with your home network, I doubt your provider is at fault.

You're not on the wrong profile then. 50Mb is the upload for the 300Mb package.

You're on the correct package so. 30 Mbit up is max for the 150mb package. 50 up is for 300.
    Something's not right with your home network, I doubt your provider is at fault.

No worries thanks

and you have the router plugged right in next to the ONT using the small grey ethernet cable coming from the ONT yeah?

467219.jpg

and you have the router plugged right in next to the ONT using the grey ethernet cable coming from the ONT yeah?

This is a good point. Is the router directly beside the ONT connected by the short patch lead supplied?

Yes. Router right beside it

https:// imgur. com/a/vDK1IST

(sorry had to put spaces in as I'm new user)

• Advertisement

Yes. Router right beside it

https:// imgur. com/a/vDK1IST

(sorry had to put spaces in as I'm new user)

Just to try to rule out cabling issues are you testing the Note 8 on 5GHz WiFi? Test right beside the router. The issue is I don't know what the max speed the Note 8 is capable of.

I assume you have varied the speedtest server used.

Just to try to rule out cabling issues are you testing the Note 8 on 5GHz WiFi? Test right beside the router. The issue is I don't know what the max speed the Note 8 is capable of.

I assume you have varied the speedtest server used.

Have not tried the 5Ghz on Note 8. I've pretty good laptop also and tried wired on different ports on router. Can't really try anything else really. I've rebooted the router and white box also on wall. It's pretty consistent to be honest just not max speed. Ping is between 6 and 9 and download 114-117Mbps and upload 46-49Mbps. So maybe get the engineer back maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

The field service tech won't do anything once there's a linkup.

Have done 2.4Ghz and 5.0Ghz on Note 8 beside it yes. I've pretty good laptop also and tried wired on different ports on router. Can't really try anything else really. I've rebooted the router and white box also on wall. It's pretty consistent to be honest just not max speed. Ping is between 6 and 9 and download 114-117Mbps and upload 46-49Mbps. So maybe get the engineer back maybe?

The thing with FTTH is it either works or it doesn't really so it's not like the engineer can redo connections to improve the speed. There obviously is an issue somewhere be it the router or at the exchange perhaps. Unfortunately you are going to have to contact eir. Explain all the different testing you have done so they can't fob you off.

1901 should be free to call from an eir line so you should not be wasting money ringing them. Best of luck and let us know if you get it resolved.

ED E wrote: »
    The field service tech won't do anything once there's a linkup.

Not sure so what I can do

Is it possible to contact Eir on 1901 at the moment?

This is the first time I've seen someone not get the full speed from FTTH. As said it usually either works perfectly or not at all.

Is it possible to contact Eir on 1901 at the moment?

This is the first time I've seen someone not get the full speed from FTTH. As said it usually either works perfectly or not at all.

I got through in 15 minutes last week.

Have done 2.4Ghz and 5.0Ghz on Note 8 beside it yes. I've pretty good laptop also and tried wired on different ports on router. Can't really try anything else really. I've rebooted the router and white box also on wall. It's pretty consistent to be honest just not max speed. Ping is between 6 and 9 and download 114-117Mbps and upload 46-49Mbps. So maybe get the engineer back maybe?

have you got any more Ethernet LAN ethernet cables lying around any where . Like something from an old router. - could try swapping out the supplied ethernet patch cable one at install with another ethernet cable. - its all a process of elimination unfortunately as frustrating as it is. I had a faulty lan cable on a modem once that caused a reduction in speed . Not sure whether it was the cable itself or the brass pins on the crimped plug or what it was but when I swapped it for another new lan cable it sorted it out . Worth a try?

Nice one, maybe the new staff are trained in.

• Advertisement

have you got any more Ethernet LAN ethernet cables lying around any where . Like something from an old router. - could try swapping out the supplied ethernet patch cable one at install with another ethernet cable. - its all a process of elimination unfortunately as frustrating as it is. I had a faulty lan cable on a modem once that caused a reduction in speed . Not sure whether it was the cable itself or the brass pins on the crimped plug or what it was but when I swapped it for another new lan cable it sorted it out . Worth a try?

Yes definitely worth trying. Can't hurt anyway!

Advertisement