Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Guide - Getting the most out of your high speed Virgin Media (UPC) 240mb/s service

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

TheDoc wrote: »
    Assume there is no specific threads to the speeds and this has become an all encompassing.

Went with an Archer a few years ago and was a brilliant shout. Has happily managed and broadcast amazing speeds to my pc upstairs.

Recently signed up to the 500mb package and while my upload speed has gone from 36 to 50 indicating its active, my download speed has not. In some cases lower.

Anyone recommend a good WiFi sniffer or the likes ? I actually haven’t had to touch my network setup in years

EDIT: Find I cant even get into my ARcher c7 admin panel. All my PC's connect wireless and for some reason the panel is just not coming up, just getting a generic chrome failed to load site. Don't have a device in the house with ethernet I can hook in : /

I'd have thought you would struggle to push 500mb on a single thread on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,729 ✭✭✭degsie

Assume there is no specific threads to the speeds and this has become an all encompassing.

Went with an Archer a few years ago and was a brilliant shout. Has happily managed and broadcast amazing speeds to my pc upstairs.

Recently signed up to the 500mb package and while my upload speed has gone from 36 to 50 indicating its active, my download speed has not. In some cases lower.

Anyone recommend a good WiFi sniffer or the likes ? I actually haven’t had to touch my network setup in years

EDIT: Find I cant even get into my ARcher c7 admin panel. All my PC's connect wireless and for some reason the panel is just not coming up, just getting a generic chrome failed to load site. Don't have a device in the house with ethernet I can hook in : /

Not sure how many times it needs to be stated. Your speeds are guaranteed for wired connections only.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

degsie wrote: »
    Not sure how many times it needs to be stated. Your speeds are guaranteed for wired connections only.

I’m not new to networking thanks. I have my own hardware in the house. And on on the 100mb,200mb and 360mb bundles I’ve gotten max speeds through wireless.

It’s also 2019 and while isps can stick to those guarantees which is totally fine, it’s not really reflective of a modern home or even a modern network.

Did some reconfiguring anyway last night in my own router and now getting 490-500 on 5ghz AC in a lot of areas which is good.

Gaming PC still capping out at 360mb which is better then what was happening, but what I had originally. Might flush some config on pc (just updates the pc last night with new parts ) and tweak some more.

*EDIT - Sorry that start of a bit snarky and I'm sure you didn't mean to be condescending. Anyway was just saying how I've always hit near max but at the same time havn't really had to touch my home network in a number of years and maybe its a case there is some new kits or things that need doing for 500mb. Just wanted to see if there was any info on that front before I start swopping out hardware

limnam wrote: »
    I'd have thought you would struggle to push 500mb on a single thread on that.

On the Archer c7 ? Wouldn’t have thought 500mb would be too much for it. Should have plenty of overhead for it.

As I mentioned above now getting pretty much maxed speeds on the ground floor so just need to tweak a bit upstairs to see what the problem is.

On the Archer c7 ? Wouldn’t have thought 500mb would be too much for it. Should have plenty of overhead for it.

As I mentioned above now getting pretty much maxed speeds on the ground floor so just need to tweak a bit upstairs to see what the problem is.

In most tests online of the c7 they can't get it over 200mb

What makes you think it can do 500mb?

A lot of entrprise AP's would struggle at the that for a single stream

Sorry I see now, you get 500mb/ down atm downstairs?

• Advertisement

I this what you use?

TP-Link Archer C7 AC1750?

limnam wrote: »
    In most tests online of the c7 they can't get it over 200mb

What makes you think it can do 500mb?

A lot of entrprise AP's would struggle at the that for a single stream

Sorry I see now, you get 500mb/ down atm downstairs?

Sorry I'm absolutely mudding the water here, I don't have a C7 at all :D:D

TP-Link Archer C8 AC1750 - That's what I use.

I have one of thesse in my gaming pc . TP-LINK Archer T4UH AC1200 so might just swop that out for a higher model to see if that gets me closer to the 500mb come to think of it. It's three years old now, and when I think my iPhone, Surface laptop and devices I use in the TV are all relatively new, they are probably higher spec AC devices.

Ran a speedtest there of the PC and it's not like it's a tragedy, just love making sure I'm getting the max speeds I can

https://www.speedtest.net/result/8820304885

Just for an update tried a load of stuff and still getting poor DL speeds to my gaming PC. In recent times also getting a lot of WiFI drops and disconnects when downloading.

Pretty much going to ditch WiFi, have someone coming to put in an ethernet port by the router downstairs and up by my PC and just run wired. Ran well while it lasted, got a good two years of WiFi, but since moving to the 500mb package the WiFi speed on the PC has just been consistently worse then the 360mb pack

set up 5ghz the last day from hub 3.0 and it hardly stays up ten mins without dropping

speeds not significantly better than 2.4ghz either

edit: in interest of fairness, ive moved the hub to a higher spot with less obstruction and speeds and connection are now excellent

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,457 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Pretty much going to ditch WiFi, have someone coming to put in an ethernet port by the router downstairs and up by my PC and just run wired. Ran well while it lasted, got a good two years of WiFi, but since moving to the 500mb package the WiFi speed on the PC has just been consistently worse then the 360mb pack

It is most likely because your neighbours have been getting new wifi routers themselves and they are all operating on 5GHz themselves now and causing interference with you.

I noticed the same myself. Live in an apartment, two years ago, I was the only 5GHz signal in range, all my neighbours on 2.4GHz then. Now I'm seeing loads of new Virgin Media Compal routers pop-up in the area, all using 5GHz on channel 44 :rolleyes:

So less far stable now. Wifi 6E operating at 6GHz can't come soon enough. Will give me a nice couple of years of clear airwaves before they end up there too eventually.

Having said that, Ethernet is always the way to go if you can. So much faster and more importantly stable. You won't regret it.

• Advertisement

Just for an update tried a load of stuff and still getting poor DL speeds to my gaming PC. In recent times also getting a lot of WiFI drops and disconnects when downloading.

This was happening to me until i put a better wifi card in my PC.
    Now getting at least 360 down on the 500mb package.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Anjunadeep

I'm very confused. I had Virgin BB and TV less than 6 months ago. Worked perfectly.
    I dont have an outlet on the wall. Just a single cable. (I believe the apartment block was retrofitted)
    If i remember correctly, I put that single cable into a splitter in the 'in' port.
    And then connected the hub and the virgin tv box to the two 'out ports'.

I signed up to Virgin again and received the equipment today. But the 'in' connection on the splitter seems to be different and my cable cannot connect to it.. Im wondering if i get one of the old type splitters will that work?

Update :

To give an update as it may save someone wasting money ... Virgin Media customer care are a joke.. told me I would have to pay 50 euro to get someone to come out to install a wall outlet. That was not true. I managed to locate a different type of splitter which fitted the cable I have. Both TV and internet working perfectly now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

So I got switched over to IPv4 recently but I find that I am still double-natted. I don't think I am in modem mode as the hub is still giving out a 192.168.0 address to my Archer router. I have the 500Mbps service. And I switched off the wifi on the hub before the switch to IPv4.
    Any idea what needs to be done?
    Hub restart?
    Clone Mac address on the Archer router?
    I don't see the bridge mode option in the menu as posted in the link above. Do I need to do a firmware update? Don't see any option for that either.

This might be it? https://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057805945

• Registered Users Posts: 8,731 ✭✭✭CoBo55

garo wrote: »
    So I got switched over to IPv4 recently but I find that I am still double-natted. I don't think I am in modem mode as the hub is still giving out a 192.168.0 address to my Archer router. I have the 500Mbps service. And I switched off the wifi on the hub before the switch to IPv4.
    Hub restart?
    I don't see the bridge mode option in the menu as posted in the link above. Do I need to do a firmware update? Don't see any option for that either.

Did you get horizon WiFi disabled? If you did you need to do a pin reset on the modem, the instructions are quite precise and need to be followed to the letter to work properly. The light on the modem is magenta when in bridge mode.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,445 ✭✭✭micks_address

Hub restart?

Did you reset the virgin modem by holding in the reset button for 60 seconds?

Got it working thanks. Needed to do the pin reset until the lights at the front started flashing. Then left it to reboot for a few minutes and then logged in to enable modem mode. After modem mode is on can only login via 192.168.100.1 and not 192.168.0.1
    The Archer now has a public IP.

Got it working thanks. Needed to do the pin reset until the lights at the front started flashing. Then left it to reboot for a few minutes and then logged in to enable modem mode. After modem mode is on can only login via 192.168.100.1 and not 192.168.0.1
    The Archer now has a public IP.

Is the light magenta? It looks nice...

Yes indeed.

Yes indeed.

Sorted!! I had bother like yourself too, I wasn't doing the reset properly. Are you getting good speeds with the Archer? I wasn't for a long time until I used a WiFi sniffer and found there was a nearby 5ghz on the same channel, as soon as I changed it I'm getting WiFi speeds in the 300 range.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

The hub should be switching to find the least congested bands. Mine doesn't.

• Advertisement

beauf wrote: »

Mine doesn't either, I didn't think it was supposed to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

It has channel optimization and auto settings for the channels.

Everyone I see in my area is always on the same channel, so I assume it doesn't work that well.
    I used to set it manually, but I use my own router now. The Hub is just in modem mode.

CoBo55 wrote: »
    Sorted!! I had bother like yourself too, I wasn't doing the reset properly. Are you getting good speeds with the Archer? I wasn't for a long time until I used a WiFi sniffer and found there was a nearby 5ghz on the same channel, as soon as I changed it I'm getting WiFi speeds in the 300 range.

370Mb on my phone. Had to play around with channels a bit.

beauf wrote: »

I misread your post I thought you meant the archer had channel optimization.

bk wrote: »
    It is most likely because your neighbours have been getting new wifi routers themselves and they are all operating on 5GHz themselves now and causing interference with you.

I noticed the same myself. Live in an apartment, two years ago, I was the only 5GHz signal in range, all my neighbours on 2.4GHz then. Now I'm seeing loads of new Virgin Media Compal routers pop-up in the area, all using 5GHz on channel 44 :rolleyes:

So less far stable now. Wifi 6E operating at 6GHz can't come soon enough. Will give me a nice couple of years of clear airwaves before they end up there too eventually.

Having said that, Ethernet is always the way to go if you can. So much faster and more importantly stable. You won't regret it.

Sorry slow on the response here.

Yeah I'm generally alright with networking and I can see not a lot of action on the channels I'm using but just really not hitting what it should.

Also having this problem recently where the wifi literally disconnects when I kick off a download of something sizeable. Now granted I'm not majorly in trouble here, the downloads hit 20-30mb/s but its just annoying when you want to be downloading something in the background.

Havn't had the ability with renting to put in proper cabling so always relied on wifi. Which in fairness is why I guess I bought all my own kit and it was going grand for ages.

I did get in touch with an electrician to come out and put in a cable for me and a few other bits around the house....but hasn't been able to fit me in the last month or two : /

I don't even know if its a problem tbh. Like I don't have any issues with my games which is the main thing but you know yourself, you want to try max it as best you can :D I have some devices hardwired downstairs like an Nvidia shield and RPI and they are incredible, downloads between 47-49mb/s and having recently bought a 4K TV streaming that content without an ounce of buffering

My archer C8 has given up the ghost. Any recommendations for a replacement? I don't want a monster that looks like something out of alien, my head is wrecked looking on various sites.

My archer C8 has given up the ghost. Any recommendations for a replacement? I don't want a monster that looks like something out of alien, my head is wrecked looking on various sites.

My Netgear R8000 has been perfect for me the last few years. Fast speeds and very good reach around the house including the converted attic. They have come down a lot in price since I got it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭branners69

Would you not look into a mesh system. Very reasonably priced and were not really an option when this thread started 5 years ago?

Archer C2300. 109+shipping at Komplett. Good reviews for Wifi range on 5GHz band.

• Advertisement

branners69 wrote: »
    Would you not look into a mesh system. Very reasonably priced and were not really an option when this thread started 5 years ago?

Mesh would be overkill for my house, it isn't that big. The hub 3 is much better than when I got it but I miss not having a usb port for watching stuff on the TV. Thanks for the suggestions I'll let ye know what I go with.

Advertisement