Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

10-12-2019, 15:36   #1
Fr_Dougal

Long term retainer and/or essix retainer

I’m just finishing up with my orthodontic treatment plan, and the orthodontist has given me a couple of options.

I have the option of wearing long term retainers on my upper and lower teeth, or using just an essix retainer at night. She favours the essix retainer on its own, but the decision is mine completely. My original orthodontist left the dental practice and he was the one who recommended the long term retainers.

Would appreciate any pros and cons etc., from what I can see the main drawback would be good getting caught in the permanent brace. I have no idea about the efficacy of the long term retainers.

Thanks,
Dougal
Advertisement
15-12-2019, 10:18   #2
Dianthus

Both work. Both need to be maintained& replaced periodically. Both have oral hygiene implications.
The main factor really is patient compliance& character.
If you know that you're the sort of person who will religiously & diligently wear a removable retainer every single night, fine. But if you've any inkling that you might forget/not bother to wear it, or lose/mislay it on a regular basis, then a fixed retainer may be more sensible.
Thanks from:
17-12-2019, 10:22   #3
Fr_Dougal

Thanks!

Is it important to have a good rear bite(molars)? My dentist isn’t happy that my bite is mostly on my front teeth, orthodontist thinks it’s ok.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion