Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shannon radar down again.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Imagine wasting your time doing that...

Shannon radar is a joke and always has been. Only in Ireland would such consistent shoddiness be tolerated.

It's better than doing nothing. Contacting ME is pointless, after all they already know how bad their radar is.

It's up to us to show how important the radar is & educate those that control the purse strings.

EDIT It's back

• Registered Users Posts: 4,747 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Back working since 11.30am :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,867 ✭✭✭pauldry

sumtings wrote: »
    I care, because it rains a lot I like to know when to expect breaks in the rain and make decisions accordingly. I use it an awful lot.

Do you see this post Met Eireann

An essential service (as well as a window)

In fairness im obsessed with it too. Shannon radar still down on my app so looking at sat24

Shannon radar still down on my app so looking at sat24

My app (Android) is showing as working ok (radar, that is).

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭ecowise

Response from Met Office regarding recent outage:

"A critical power supply in the receiver failed on the 17th Oct., we tried to resolve the issue as quickly as possible .
    We are sorry for any inconvenience caused."

No explanation or comment about the general unreliability of the Shannon radar.

• Advertisement

The method to their madness: We're a captive audience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

Strange that radar redundancy is deemed necessary for oil tankers, but not for the only system covering the SW.

Shannon on/off again this morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭sumtings

I think it doesn't work in the rain! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭Joe Public

www.raintoday.co.uk seem to be covering the south west ok so where are they getting their info from?

• Advertisement

Joe Public wrote: »
    www.raintoday.co.uk seem to be covering the south west ok so where are they getting their info from?

The Shannon loss of coverage is in fact showing on www.raintoday.co.uk if you run the animation.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,871 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Always goes down when we need it most very strange

• Registered Users Posts: 6,127 ✭✭✭highdef

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Always goes down when we need it most very strange

Maybe there's water doing something bad to the electrics so it only happens when it rains???? I'm joking but it wouldn't surprise me.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,286 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Rainfall radar rings around Dublin Airport too
    www.met.ie
    9KHMiV1.jpg

zell12 wrote: »
    www.met.ie
    9KHMiV1.jpg

They have been there on and off for a few months, I posted about it somewhere... It is bad the one of the most vulnerable areas of the country, weather wise, gets the worst radar coverage, I think I will have a word with my local Kerry TD.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,054 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

And again from Met Eireann

The Shannon Airport Rainfall Radar is currently offline due to a technical fault, hence a loss of radar coverage in the southwest of Ireland. Repairs are ongoing. We expect this radar will be operational again early next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,095 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

The Shannon Airport Rainfall Radar is currently offline due to a technical fault, hence a loss of radar coverage in the southwest of Ireland. Repairs are ongoing. We expect this radar will be operational again early next week.

Yeah, this time I'll bow and say it's getting excessive.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

zell12 wrote: »
    www.met.ie
    9KHMiV1.jpg

Radar rings like that are generally caused by melting snow. As a snowflake melts, liquid water on its surface, which is much larger than a raindrop's, causes a large return signal. The rings are causes by the scans at different angles in the vertical, and the effect is greatest closest to the radar tower.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭irishgeo

I would be asking questions about the parts being used or the company doing the repairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,867 ✭✭✭pauldry

Looks like the problem with the Shannon radar is rain. It works fine in dry weather.

• Advertisement

Perhaps part of the reason for the Shannon radar neglect is because of its political overlords: Met Office Minister responsible Eoghan Murphy, TD, Minister for Housing, Planning, Community and Local Government

Seems like an odd Department, why not Communications, Climate Action & Environment or Transport, Tourism and Sport or Agriculture, Food and the Marine all of which would seem more appropriate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Surely the fly boys make use of this radar, if so spend the money and do it properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

It seems that the Dublin Radar was down As well in recent days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

The Rainfall Radar page on Met.ie is gone dysfunctional in the last couple of days.

Jpmarn wrote: »
    The Rainfall Radar page on Met.ie is gone dysfunctional in the last couple of days.

I take it you haven't been following this thread closely then. ;)

Shannon came back at 19.10h.

I am not sure but it may be that the coverage map only for Shannon is showing. There are no rain echos but it looks like there should be something in the south/south west. The British Met Office radar is still showing Shannon as missing.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭sumtings

ecowise wrote: »
    I am not sure but it may be that the coverage map only for Shannon is showing. There are no rain echos but it looks like there should be something in the south/south west. The British Met Office radar is still showing Shannon as missing.

I can see a radar anomaly to the southeast, the radar also seems to be coming and going and the infrared doesn't show any rain about so good chance it is back in some type of manner

sumtings wrote: »
    I can see a radar anomaly to the southeast, the radar also seems to be coming and going and the infrared doesn't show any rain about so good chance it is back in some type of manner

I think the echo in the second image could be from the UK but the latest Irish Met echo does show something further west (offshore west Cork) so it is presumably working now. Still, not a satisfactory service.

• Advertisement

Gone again 23:50

Advertisement