Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Introducing the Current Affairs/IMHO forum

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Indeed I agree.

You posted this in response to a poster:

Edit: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=110792080&postcount=822

Oh you mean to this?
    Not just a racist so but a thick racist.
    mad muffin wrote: »
    You need to seek immediate professional help ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,822 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Indeed I agree.

You posted this in response to a poster:

Edit: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=110792080&postcount=822

Sorry forgot to ask. Did you report the post ?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Oh you mean to this?

Indeed I do. I actually included that in my post for context. The poster referred to Trump as thick and racist. You attacked the poster for his/her belief.

Discodog wrote: »
    I have no iron in this fire but firstly it's wrong to pull out a single past post with no context. Secondly the comment was followed with a ;)

I'm not a mod but I think that adding a wink to things doesn't make them more acceptable. I actually quoted the posters he was quoting so I made a point to include the context.

Indeed I do. I actually included that in my post for context. The poster referred to Trump as thick and racist. You attacked the poster for his/her belief.

I don’t see how I was attaching the poster. I was merely making a helpful suggestion ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Posters - I don’t want the squabbling and bickering that infests CA spilling over into Feedback.

Either provide some actual Feedback or don’t post.

dudara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

Do not discuss mod instructions in thread. Contact a mod directly or use the Help Desk

dudara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

Basically jabs about transgender people appear to be grand in new forum which is a bit depressing to say the least.

batgoat wrote: »
    Basically jabs about transgender people appear to be grand in new forum which is a bit depressing to say the least.

Absolutely depressing. And as you can see from dudara's edit to my post, the admins and mods couldn't give a toss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭MrFresh

batgoat wrote: »

Jabs? That's underselling it a bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,984 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Absolutely depressing. And as you can see from dudara's edit to my post, the admins and mods couldn't give a toss.

i'm sure they do care, but they can't be expected to step in everytime someone posts something we disagree with or find offensive. even if it is transphobic bigots who IMO should be given every bit of roap possible and shown up for what they are.
    people are perfectly capable of debunking transphobic, homophobic or racist nonsense themselves and they should do so. the types posting that crap eventually run off in a huff or get banned anyway.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

MrFresh wrote: »
    Jabs? That's underselling it a bit.

That the pedophile thread where some bloke with a thing for young girls is masquerading as a woman

i'm sure they do care, but they can't be expected to step in everytime someone posts something we disagree with or find offensive. even if it is transphobic bigots who IMO should be given every bit of roap possible and shown up for what they are.
    people are perfectly capable of debunking transphobic, homophobic or racist nonsense themselves and they should do so. the types posting that crap eventually run off in a huff or get banned anyway.

I think they can be expected to step in when a post that blatantly breaches their own charter is reported. Or they could at least explain why they've chosen not to act upon the report.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

I'd prefer to hear an explanation as to why a post that breaks their own rules is deemed acceptable.

What rule or rules exactly

Gatling wrote: »
    What rule or rules exactly

The post I reported referred to transgender people as not being 'normal' or 'sane'. Apart from breaking the 'guiding principle' of the charter (i.e. deliberately being a dick), describing an already-marginalised group like that is a blatant breach of the rules:
    Do not post any material that you know or should know is hateful, abusive, harassing, false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, vulgar, obscene, profane, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or illegal.

You are free to express your views in a forceful manner provided you remain civil. Hate speech, insults, and purposely inflammatory remarks (i.e., trolling) will not be tolerated. Do not post threats or state or imply that any individual or group is deserving of harm. If we tell you to refrain from behaviour that we regard as uncivil, or that in our view detracts from a productive discussion, do so or face revocation of your posting privileges.

No offence to either of you, but I'd rather have this discussion with a mod. For some reason, they don't seem to want to defend their inaction.

I think they can be expected to step in when a post that blatantly breaches their own charter is reported. Or they could at least explain why they've chosen not to act upon the report.
    I'd prefer to hear an explanation as to why a post that breaks their own rules is deemed acceptable. Maybe an admin or mod could do that.

I was out today and not actively monitoring the forum. I have just spent the last 90 mins reviewing Reported Posts and taking action as I see fit. To give you a flavour of what I have dealt with - I have removed potentially defamatory references, I have followed up on suspected spammers and duplicate accounts, I have responded to various PMs and I have spoken with two posters who have a long running argument.

I am sorry that no other Admin/Mod acted on the reported post until now. I have now issued a warning, but it has taken me all of 90 minutes to get through the stack of reported posts and get to your particular report.

While I wish we could respond to everything immediately, it is not always possible.

dudara wrote: »
    While I wish we could respond to everything immediately, it is not always possible.

Don't beat yourself up - you had my first post on here redacted within an impressive eight minutes.

There are twelve mods and two cmods. If I had just reported that post and left it at that, rather than banging on about it here (and in Help Desk), I find it very hard to believe that any action would have been taken.

Don't beat yourself up - you had my first post on here redacted within an impressive eight minutes.

Because you responded to a mod instruction in thread which is a no-no. It was literally the first reported post in the pile that I was working through.

How in the ever loving name of god there is a trump bashing thread in The politics forum that is up to number 6. So thousands and thousands of trump bashing posts. And all his hunky dory.

I post a satirical. Video in the aoc thread on ac about aoc, in response to a posters question and it gets censored.

With you know I don’t even have to say it…

YouTube dump. Lol.

I mean you guys don’t even try to hide your bias.

Trump putting journalists lives at risk. Lol. Because of a dispute that started in 2012? Lol.

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

YouTube dump. Lol.

Signal to noise. The absolute vast majority of your replies in CA/IMHO are youtube videos with absolutely no post associated it whatsoever. I know that CA/IMHO as a lower standard of posting than say, Politics, but it's still a discussion site - we expect some form of actual discussion to take place.

• Advertisement

mike_ie wrote: »
    Signal to noise. The absolute vast majority of your replies in CA/IMHO are youtube videos with absolutely no post associated it whatsoever. I know that CA/IMHO as a lower standard of posting than say, Politics, but it's still a discussion site - we expect some form of actual discussion to take place.

Really? show me? Show me exactly what you are talking about. Exactly.

The exact post where I dump a video without context. The exact post count that has a video in it. Exact. I say. Exact. Show me. I want to see it. Can you?

Can’t you tell me how politic forum is held to a higher level when there is a multi thousand trump bashing thread? Show me this higher standard. Exactly. Show me the exact high standard you are talking about. Show me how a multi thousand post on bashing trump is a higher standard?

Just be honest. Your hypocrisy is palpable.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭This is it

Exactly.

How in the ever loving name of god there is a trump bashing thread in The politics forum that is up to number 6. So thousands and thousands of trump bashing posts. And all his hunky dory.

I post a satirical. Video in the aoc thread on ac about aoc, in response to a posters question and it gets censored.

With you know I don’t even have to say it…

YouTube dump. Lol.

I mean you guys don’t even try to hide your bias.

Trump putting journalists lives at risk. Lol. Because of a dispute that started in 2012? Lol.

But in fairness M you're holding other people's posts to a much higher standard than you're holding your own. To be fair it's not just you.

Previously when people post from reputable news sources, no matter what they are there's a cohort of "fake news" people who claim that the source is biased against Trump ect so they won't debate the post.

Then they post a video edited to death from a random internet source and claim bias that we don't accept that.

But in fairness M you're holding other people's posts to a much higher standard than you're holding your own. To be fair it's not just you.

Previously when people post from reputable news sources, no matter what they are there's a cohort of "fake news" people who claim that the source is biased against Trump ect so they won't debate the post.

Then they post a video edited to death from a random internet source and claim bias that we don't accept that.

My videos are mostly African Americans shining a light on the racism bs. Some political satire videos, and Fox News. Your hardly guns see me post cnn, now.

And I have repeatedly said that there is no longer any unbiased news media. That’s why I post videos from African Americans. They sure won’t sweep racism under the rug.

I’ve never reported anything I have disagreed on. I always post with facts and a spotlight on the Democrats hypocrisy.

When you start censoring in the guise of a video dump especially a political satire one. And leave a multi thousand trump bashing thread alone. Well that’s just hypocrisy.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,285 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Really? show me? Show me exactly what you are talking about. Exactly.

The exact post where I dump a video without context. The exact post count that has a video in it. Exact. I say. Exact. Show me. I want to see it. Can you?

Can’t you tell me how politic forum is held to a higher level when there is a multi thousand trump bashing thread? Show me this higher standard. Exactly. Show me the exact high standard you are talking about. Show me how a multi thousand post on bashing trump is a higher standard?

Just be honest. Your hypocrisy is palpable.
    You are welcome to discuss topics, but you have bee warned not just to dump video links. I really do not care what your politics are, or what you want to discuss within the parameters of the forum and site. Thinking you can dump links rather than actually offer your opinion is not acceptable, and will not be acceptable whatever your political or other leanings. We have a cool videos and pictures section if you want to display your YouTube search talents

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

When was the last time that you reported anything, MM?

Baggly wrote: »
    When was the last time that you reported anything, MM?

In my 10 years on boards I can count on one hand the amount of times I’ve reported anything. I’m an adult. If I see a video I see it because I want to. Not because it’s in a post. If I don’t want to see it. I ignore it. If someone insults me I laugh at them. I don’t run off all hurt about it.

The videos are either political satire or fact based. Just the last post that got censored was a reply to a poster saying they can’t find any more funny videos about aoc. I posted that her work is out there and then the video. If that’s a dump. Then mother forgive me.

Oh and to answer your question exactly.

The last time was the other day. After a poster insulted me and my wife for the second time. You can read about it a few pages up on this thread. They undulated me the first time. I posted a video of a guy laughing. (I think that got delete probably because they credited it) then he did it again. This time I replied with haha in big red letters. That’s when I got a warning to not post in such a low standard. So I reported the insulting post. Which had zero effect. As they never got a warning.

I’m not going to waist the mods time reporting such asinine posts when a simple reply showing all the dignity a post like that deserves. It’s just showing bias that my post got moded but they keep on insulting.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

I’m not going to waist the mods time reporting such asinine posts when a simple reply showing all the dignity a post like that deserves. It’s just showing bias that my post got moded but they keep on insulting.

I'm not up to speed with your posts MM however
    To be fair- there does seem to be a genuine issue of reporting something (because someone is being a dick etc) - nothing gets done - respond to what was posted and get infracted.

In effect the person at the receiving end gets shat on twice.

That system as it is frequently leaves the troll or whatever free to go on being a dick ...

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Id have to disagree gozunda. I rely on the reports to help me mod. I dont think it would be possible to mod the fora i do without them.

As such, if someone reports someone being uncivil or breaking rules, its more likely to get actioned if reported.

If anyone responds to something they think is breaking the rules, they are leaving themselves open because a) the mods cant stop any further trolling in response to the response (if that makes sense) and b) if tempers flare, both parties will probably end up getting infracted.

Just my 2c on it though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,822 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Baggly wrote: »
    Id have to disagree gozunda. I rely on the reports to help me mod. I dont think it would be possible to mod the fora i do without them.

As such, if someone reports someone being uncivil or breaking rules, its more likely to get actioned if reported.

If anyone responds to something they think is breaking the rules, they are leaving themselves open because a) the mods cant stop any further trolling in response to the response (if that makes sense) and b) if tempers flare, both parties will probably end up getting infracted.

Just my 2c on it though!

That's why I think it would help if there was a way for the reporter to know that the report has been seen by a moderator.

The big problem seems to be the sheer volume in the busy fora. Maybe a pop up page explaining the valid reasons for reporting so that people check the validity before they post. Especially as the rules vary between fora.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement