Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
09-01-2018, 08:06   #376
Tom Mann Centuria
Forty - Twenty
 
Tom Mann Centuria's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 6,316
Bayliss is going. After the next ashes in 2019.

https://twitter.com/BBCSport/status/950613523964616704

Love the way he's scapegoating the off field woes as a big issue. They were pretty trivial this series and I think it's him moving blame.
Tom Mann Centuria is offline  
Advertisement
09-01-2018, 10:53   #377
StringerBell
Registered User
 
StringerBell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 8,721
Tells you all you need to know about Bayliss really.
StringerBell is offline  
Thanks from:
11-01-2018, 17:17   #378
Inquitus
Registered User
 
Inquitus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 11,000
Good article on the difficulties of winning away from home, I wonder what the stats would be like if the away wins against the weakest test nations were ignored, as they likely squew the stats a fair bit!

http://www.bbc.com/sport/cricket/42590656
Inquitus is offline  
12-01-2018, 13:48   #379
StringerBell
Registered User
 
StringerBell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 8,721
Yep, been that way a while now.
StringerBell is offline  
13-01-2018, 02:24   #380
Rjd2
Registered User
 
Rjd2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 10,094
Quote:
Originally Posted by StringerBell View Post
At this stage are there any Test sides that are actually consistently successful away from home though?
South Africa were really impressive for so long away from home a few years ago when they had a beast side e.g winning in Australia, England and drawing in India. The retirement of a few players however seems to have ruined that though.
Rjd2 is offline  
Advertisement
14-01-2018, 10:37   #381
KevIRL
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 37,586
Send a message via MSN to KevIRL
England absolutely destroying Australia in the first ODI. Record England ODI score for Roy.
KevIRL is offline  
Thanks from:
14-01-2018, 10:38   #382
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 775
After the Ashes humiliation, England's one day team under captain Morgan have made a remarkable turnaround and are absolutely stuffing the Aussies at the MCG in the first one-dayer.

Jason Roy is currently 180* and Joe Root 74*.

(Kev beat me to it!)
Turnipman is offline  
19-01-2018, 19:00   #383
Inquitus
Registered User
 
Inquitus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 11,000
England win the 2nd ODI, Aussies set a score well below par, restricted by the turn in the pitch and England's spinners, having failed to pick a specialist spinner themselves.
Inquitus is offline  
19-01-2018, 19:08   #384
exaisle
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 2,570
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inquitus View Post
England win the 2nd ODI, Aussies set a score well below par, restricted by the turn in the pitch and England's spinners, having failed to pick a specialist spinner themselves.
I know it's a different game (well, kinda) but it makes me wonder whether it would have had any effect on the test matches if the ODI's had been played first? That said, there are a few absentees from the Australian side..possibly as a result of their exertions in the tests....
exaisle is offline  
Thanks from:
Advertisement
21-01-2018, 11:28   #385
Aegir
Registered User
 
Aegir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 2,958
Quote:
Originally Posted by exaisle View Post
I know it's a different game (well, kinda) but it makes me wonder whether it would have had any effect on the test matches if the ODI's had been played first? That said, there are a few absentees from the Australian side..possibly as a result of their exertions in the tests....
And England are missing Ben Stokes, although it is hard to see where he would fit in based on the last three performances.

Eoin Morgan is a genius.
Aegir is offline  
21-01-2018, 15:08   #386
Beasty
I speaketh here, I speaketh there..
 
Beasty's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 36,535
Today's victory had added sweetness - the Aussies were in touching distance throughout until about 5 balls to go

The balance in the one day team is spot on with contributions from pretty much everyone in the 3 matches to date with bat or ball or both. Today it was Buttler with Woakes chipping in and useful contributions from most of the batsmen. Pity Plunkett picked up that injury. I'm guessing Curran will come in, but maybe there could be a call-up for David Willey who is currently playing in the Big Bash League
Beasty is online now  
Thanks from:
22-01-2018, 00:11   #387
Tom Mann Centuria
Forty - Twenty
 
Tom Mann Centuria's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 6,316
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beasty View Post
Today's victory had added sweetness - the Aussies were in touching distance throughout until about 5 balls to go

The balance in the one day team is spot on with contributions from pretty much everyone in the 3 matches to date with bat or ball or both. Today it was Buttler with Woakes chipping in and useful contributions from most of the batsmen. Pity Plunkett picked up that injury. I'm guessing Curran will come in, but maybe there could be a call-up for David Willey who is currently playing in the Big Bash League
Willey has been pretty average in the big bash, but I'd still give him another go. Even though he plays for some insignificant team in England these days.
Tom Mann Centuria is offline  
Thanks from:
22-01-2018, 00:16   #388
Beasty
I speaketh here, I speaketh there..
 
Beasty's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 36,535
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Mann Centuria View Post
Even though he plays for some insignificant team in England these days.
Steady on there.....

You're thinking of his dad aren't you? He retired from playing some time ago!
Beasty is online now  
22-01-2018, 00:18   #389
Tom Mann Centuria
Forty - Twenty
 
Tom Mann Centuria's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 6,316
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beasty View Post
Steady on there.....

You're thinking of his dad aren't you? He retired from playing some time ago!
And still resides in the Rose of the Shires.
Tom Mann Centuria is offline  
28-01-2018, 11:44   #390
Tom Mann Centuria
Forty - Twenty
 
Tom Mann Centuria's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 6,316
Good one day series anyway. Very good win today from where Australia were in their run chase.

4 - 1 series win.

Maybe England need more Irish in the team
Tom Mann Centuria is offline  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet