Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Argos RIP thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,228 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Maybe. I felt they had got fussy in recent years and stopped buying expensive things in there due to difficult returns. Others say they've had no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

My main frustration with Argos going is that my work bonus voucher scheme will be verrrry limited in what I can get without it. Argos was handy that way.

On that note - I have egift cards I need to use up, do I need to print them off or can I show them on my phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 47 justlikebefore

I used one4all gift card, with apple pay today. Got kindle 2022 for 79,99.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭Danger781

The espresso maker posted in the bargains thread seems like great value.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Schorpio

We have one in work. It's not Swan branded, but it's physically identical to the Argos one, so I'm presuming it's a Chinese re-branding job,

The pictures make it look nicer than it is. It's all plastic, and cheap plastic at that. The gauge is more for visual effect than anything else. It shows temperature, whereas 'proper' coffee machines have a pressure gauge (pressure is supposed to be variable and controlled, whereas temperature is constant).

Can it make good coffee though - yes it can. But any coffee maker can. It's all about the grinds, and how you use it. But for what it's worth, we have a Sage machine at home, and it's much easier to get a good coffee out of that. (Not a fair comparison though considering the price differential).

For me, it's priced about right at 50 quid.

Still, would I recommend it? No, I wouldn't. At that price point I'd get an Aeropress instead.

I ended up picking one up. First time using an espresso machine so I have absolutely no comparison to make. Aesthetically speaking I actually quite like it despite the plastic shell.

Functionally speaking the lack of pressure gauge is concerning as true espresso requires pressure. Makes me question if I'm even really making espresso, or if I'm just making a short strong coffee. However for the sake of 50 quid I'm still reasonably happy with it. It gives me an additional option for my caffeine intake and I can make cappuccinos which I've never had the luxury of.

If I make use of this I'll eventually upgrade to a nice Sage.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Hatshepsut

Same, picked one up yesterday and have yet to unbox and play around with it. It's my first coffee machine as normally use a cafetiere. Wouldn't be a coffee connoisseur by any means so I'd be very interested to hear how the people who purchased find theirs, what they think of it and what tips or tricks help make the best coffee with it. Should we be using coarsely ground or finely ground coffee with it? I haven't a clue, bought a bag of tesco Colombian ground coffee to start with. Or should I have bought like lavazza finely ground espresso coffee instead? Any helpful advice welcome

It's a pressurised porta filter so it doesn't need to be espresso ground, anything in the fine to medium grind range should suffice. Pressurised portafilters are pretty forgiving in that regard. However I am getting better results with espresso ground so far (Bravo Tango preground from Lidl to start with) compared to the ground I usually use with the Aeropress.

I'm personally struggling with the milk steamer. I'm just making lukewarm extremely frothy bubbly milk. Need to look at a few videos to see what technique I need to use. Also need to invest in a proper jug.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭alastair_doom

Last date for online ordering for delivery is March 22nd. Just got the following email:

Dear customer,

We have made the very difficult decision to close our Argos stores and online operations in the Republic of Ireland by 24 June 2023. 

You can still place orders for home delivery up until 22 March but after this date our home delivery service will no longer be available. 

This means that larger items which are currently only available through our home delivery service, such as sofas, beds and large kitchen appliances will no longer be sold by Argos in the Republic of Ireland. 

We will honour all home delivery orders placed before 22 March. 

After this date you can still order small items via our Click and Collect service until stores close on 24 June 2023.

For more information, please visit here.

Thank you,

Argos

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,826 ✭✭✭ozmo

Was in store today - and their stock looks very low - winding down I guess - all the top shelves in the warehouse behind the counter were empty.

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭positron

I've been using it for last few days and it's alright. I don't have anything to compare against as I am not much of a coffee aficionado (well other than the expensive machine at work that makes all sorts of very strong coffee with Illy beans). I have been drinking Lidl's fair trade ground coffee (columbia etc) for years and all I ever used was a simple stove top moka pot and a french press to froth the milk - super simple and makes good coffee. With the same Lidl coffee, this swan espresso machine makes better coffee than the moka pot - there's more flavour and less bitterness compared to the moka pot. The milk steamer part is a bit meh - I might go back to the french press for it. It's alright for 55 quid.

PS: I've a reservation ready to collect in Drogheda today/tomorrow if anyone is looking for one.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Only

Posted on the no-chat thread https://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/7869385/Trail/searchtext%3EPRESSURE%2BWASHER.htm

- does anyone have this one or know how it would compare to the one in LIDL atm? the one in Lidls specs seem a small bit more powerful ... €130 vs €112 ... wondering would Lidl be a better buy with Argos going out of business also ... any thoughts???

• Registered Users Posts: 6,335 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Heighway61

Re the power washer above... did anyone get it and know if the built-in detergent bottle will do snow foam?

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Doodlebug

For the Spear & Jackson mower - I've had it for 4 or 5 years. Does a sizeable enough front & back garden with charge to spare. Only need to use the 2nd battery for last half of back garden (unless the grass is very long).

Prefer it over my old petrol as nearly zero maintenance (maybe sharpen the blade once in a while if you're handy with that kinda thing). Great yoke.

Not much stock after a quick search. There's 1 in Cavan at time of posting, but didn't look too extensively!

https://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/8826774/Trail/searchtext%3ELAWNMOWERS+.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭bromley52

If anyone is still looking for one they can be reserved.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

I have a reservation code for a S&J Power washer which can be picked up in Waterford between today and Wednesday if anyone would like to avail of it. Bar the patio brush I dont think its much of an upgrade on the Karcher K3 which I already have here.

https://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/7869385/Trail/searchtext%3EPRESSURE%2BWASHER.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭TheRona

The ladder in the non-chat thread says it can be ordered in quite a few stores, but the order never gets placed. You can reserve it in the few stores that do have one in stock, though.

https://www.argos.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10152&catalogId=15051&langId=111&productId=2116010

• Registered Users Posts: 8,842 ✭✭✭Soarer

My order was placed without issue.

Can be collected from next Monday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭It wasnt me123

Sale of Goods Act - product must be fit for purpose for 7 years and yes, your contract is with the shop, not the manufacturer or importer or billy down the street, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭arrianalexander

Where does it state 7 years

Im not disputing but I've never come across 7 years before

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭eclipsechaser

If anyone has a code for the ladder but isn't using it, I'd love to get one. I'm in Dublin. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,762 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I would also like to know where this 7 year requirement is stated.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,826 ✭✭✭ozmo

Yes, interested too - seen all kinds of years specified - sometime depending on the device - tv, washing machine etc.

This official site says 2 years.

https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/consumers/shopping/guarantees-returns/index_en.htm

This article (UK before the left EU) says 2 years - but sometimes 6

https://www.mirror.co.uk/money/little-known-eu-law-gives-8586685

This says 6 years - but not very clear what it applies to.

Consumer Rights - Faulty Goods - CCPC

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭It wasnt me123

It was sale of goods act, since 28 November last year its updated to compensation and consumer protection commission (CCPC). And I think it was 6 years. The CCPC is now the updated version, with a quick look I couldn’t see a timeframe but I couldn’t see an updated consumer rights act, downgrading the number of years for a product to be fit for purpose - I suppose it depends on the product - when I sued a local retailer, I had an original receipt for an expensive couch which I had for approx 3/4 years where only me lived in the house - so no kids jumping on it, not a full house with a load of adults/kids using it. It’s CCPC.ie faulty goods Isorry I couldn’t copy link)

I just went to collect the Spear & Jackson mower with my reservation code in Mahon. When I got there the system said my reservation code was valid but the order was never attached in the warehouse. I was like a dog. The staff couldn't have cared less.

When you reserved it did you get an email and text or just an email ?

Both , with the reservation number. It wasn't in stock at the time and I was supposed to get another text when it was ready for collection. Today is the last day for collection and I never got the collection text.

• Advertisement

It was a fault where it let orders go through even when there wasn't any stock

In past it would give a confirmation email but no text (why I asked about that)

Not that it matters now l, as they are closing in few months and I doubt you will go back, but unless you get it's ready for collection text/email the item hasn't come into the store, irrelevant of when the item is said to be due in for collection.

Advertisement