Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Argos RIP thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,416 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Good tablet at a cracker price.

Battery life is decent and storage is 8GB but expandable via microSD.

It is android however amazon has their own limited FireOS on it, however there are simple ways to install the Play Store on it which opens it up to any app you want.

You can also install APK's on it, just check "allow from unknown sources" in the security settings.

To be honest, at the price its worth it.

I've ordered one of these! For 40 bucks, you can't go wrong! :D

I seem to remember people putting vanilla android on these when they first came out years ago! Is that something that can still be done? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,312 ✭✭✭VanZan

Where did you get it? It says "orderable" for the 3 limerick stores but when I went to reserve I got an "out of stock" message.

VanZan wrote: »
    Where did you get it? It says "orderable" for the 3 limerick stores but when I went to reserve I got an "out of stock" message.

I couldn't get it to work at Childers, but it worked at Crescent for me! :)

Cheers I'll focus on there then! :)

Managed to reserve one in Cruises St. Does this one come with "special offers" (ads) do we know? I remember when I got a Kindle from Argos the trick was to contact Amazon support and complain that it wasn't advertised and get the special offers removed for free!!

• Advertisement

Reading the reviews over at Argos.co.uk it seems it does indeed come with "special offers". :(

Reading the reviews over at Argos.co.uk it seems it does indeed come with "special offers". :(

I'm sure there'll be a way to opt out or pay up the difference or something!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

I think the last time, if you get on to Amazon saying that it wasn't stated there would be ads and that the tablet is for your child, they will remove them free of charge.
    I think it depends on the customer service agent you get though.
    Failing that, you can pay an extra tenner to have them removed.

Honestly though, the ads aren't even that intrusive.

Feck's sake. Got up early this morning and walked into the city centre to collect my tablet only to be greeted with this sign (see attachment).

Waited a half hour and no sign of the place opening.

Feck's sake. Got up early this morning and walked into the city centre to collect my tablet only to be greeted with this sign (see attachment).

Waited a half hour and no sign of the place opening.

Are they all closed, I wonder?
    Mine is ready to pick up at the crescent store!

• Advertisement

Went back at 11 and they were open thankfully.
    marcbrophy wrote: »
    I seem to remember people putting vanilla android on these when they first came out years ago! Is that something that can still be done? :)

My device came with FireOS 5.3.3.0 which I don't think has been hacked yet. Definitely don't update.

I did find this however:
    https://forum.xda-developers.com/amazon-fire/general/amazon-fire-utility-tool-bloat-removal-t3641151

Thanks, I won't update it so.
    Wanna get a proper ROM onto the thing :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 48 indeq

Went back at 11 and they were open thankfully.

My device came with FireOS 5.3.3.0 which I don't think has been hacked yet. Definitely don't update.

I did find this however:
    https://forum.xda-developers.com/amazon-fire/general/amazon-fire-utility-tool-bloat-removal-t3641151

https://forum.xda-developers.com/amazon-fire/general/how-to-install-google-play-store-fire-t3486603

• Registered Users Posts: 10,845 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Think poor TheDriver needs to change her name to "No Chat in This Thread". There should be a swear jar type thing where people buy her a pint when they post chat in the no chat thread. :pac:

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭degsie

Think poor TheDriver needs to change her name to "No Chat in This Thread". There should be a swear jar type thing where people buy her a pint when they post chat in the no chat thread. :pac:

lol :D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭breeno

I bought a Fire HD 8 in Argos a few weeks back and the Offers appeared on the lock screen. I contacted Amazon by phone and stated it wasn't mentioned when I was buying from Argos and they deleted the offers straight away for no charge. Just in case it's putting anybody off buying.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,141 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

breeno wrote: »
    I bought a Fire HD 8 in Argos a few weeks back and the Offers appeared on the lock screen. I contacted Amazon by phone and stated it wasn't mentioned when I was buying from Argos and they deleted the offers straight away for no charge. Just in case it's putting anybody off buying.

I did the same just now (although I bought mine in Dixons in Heathrow). Nice tablet for the price, not going to set the world on fire. The Amazon case is really nice with it though...

• Registered Users Posts: 45,762 ✭✭✭✭muffler

dulpit wrote: »
    Nice tablet for the price, not going to set the world on fire.
    Spot the pun :D

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭johng906

Picked up the 1 TB xbox one s bundle this morning for €39.99.

Saved €260 on normal price. Best argos deal I've gotten so far!

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭eamondunphy

johng906 wrote: »
    Picked up the 1 TB xbox one s bundle this morning for €39.99.

Saved €260 on normal price. Best argos deal I've gotten so far!

How? That's class?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

How? That's class?

Big thread in BA

• Registered Users Posts: 10,141 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

muffler wrote: »
    Spot the pun :D

Inadvertent, but I'll take it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,059 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Big pricing error on argos today, there is no stock anywhere for any of it, really hope there are not the usual 15-20 new threads on bargain alerts saying there is a €25 laptop, no there isn't just a a whole load of click bait. We need a nothing to see here gif.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭psychozeb

That mobility scooter for €17 would be some craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭as.eirinn

yeah ,pricing errors seem only to occur on single items.,when it's everything i relax, take a deep breath...then feverishly panic, go through every single one until I realise argos is wasting my time, still, you never know, just maybe ; )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

Argos.ie is down. Probably doing damage control after all this morning's price glitches.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭Bazzy

was hoping i could roll in on me mobility scooter to collect a macbook air charger and new nokia phone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

Argos.co.uk is down also. Did they have the same misprices?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,506 ✭✭✭Wheety

Those percentage savings on pricescanner.ie :D

The price chart for the mobility scooter:

TodCriZ.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 maxiiim

Hopefully mods wouldn't mind that.

Scanprice.co.uk

Beta :)

Argos.co.uk is down also. Did they have the same misprices?

Advertisement