Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the weather like in your area 2

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭pedigree 6

Blackstairs mountain in co.wexford this morning.
    2017_01_13_12.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭ArKl0w

Just a dusting here after,ground is frozen solid
    Decided to empty the cow tanks given the hard ground,so all stirred up and going out with it now
    Busy!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭A cow called Daisy

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

That's why women are so bad at parking, we've been told incorrect measurements all our lives!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

pedigree 6 wrote: »
    Well back to normality after our little weather event. (I may get a life).
    The weather for next week is looking fine and dry.

We got very little of the rain here. This I would say has to be the driest jan ever so far, my dad has never seen ground conditions so good at this time of the year ever. He still hasn't bought the idea of letting the cows out ha.

• Advertisement

Timmaay wrote: »
    We got very little of the rain here. This I would say has to be the driest jan ever so far, my dad has never seen ground conditions so good at this time of the year ever. He still hasn't bought the idea of letting the cows out ha.
    I still have a yearling bull out with a pony and usually it would be too wet to leave them out. Cleaning out dung out of sheds at the moment here. Yesterday was drier here than today, we had a bit of a squib here today which damped the ground a bit. But the weather still in the long term looks to be dominated by High pressure.
    I don't mind that quare fellow Arklow about weather equalling itself out.:p;)
    If it was rain and flooding, people would be saying it was climate change and it was going to be like this forever and to get used to it. But when weather like this happens they're scratching their heads. It's actually been on this general theme since about the middle of last year (for the southeast anyway). I'm not denying climate change. It's happened since the world started and man is definitely having an impact just as the dinosaurs had an impact and we should try and use clean renewable energy. Anyway i'm getting carried away but we are learning about other factors that have a bearing on our climate too such as the big one that is the sun and it is the nuclear reactor that gives all life to our planet and our planet revolves around it. Any reduction in energy coming from the sun has a big effect on European weather. The sun is entering a very quiet phase. Maybe not seen before for hundreds of years before. So going on this thinking we should be seeing colder drier winters for the next five years at least before the sun enters into a more active phase again. Our weather this year in the southeast anyway was more like the weather that they would normally get in the southeast of England.

Anyway I'm not complaining I hope to get the rest of the houses cleaned out and the slurry spread before any change in the weather.

I still have a yearling bull out with a pony and usually it would be too wet to leave them out. Cleaning out dung out of sheds at the moment here. Yesterday was drier here than today, we had a bit of a squib here today which damped the ground a bit. But the weather still in the long term looks to be dominated by High pressure.
    I don't mind that quare fellow Arklow about weather equalling itself out.:p;)
    Oh it will equal out
    Just like it did in 95 when we had 3 months of high pressure in the summer of that year
    Best not be talking about it because Rain or snow is best had in the winter when everything is in and not in march April or throughout the summer like 2009 or 2012
    So the sooner we get a flood or snow the better
    It won't be this week or probably next

ArKl0w wrote: »
    Oh it will equal out
    Just like it did in 95 when we had 3 months of high pressure in the summer of that year
    Best not be talking about it because Rain or snow is best had in the winter when everything is in and not in march April or throughout the summer like 2009 or 2012
    So the sooner we get a flood or snow the better
    It won't be this week or probably next
    Whatever Arklow.:D

Forgot to add to the last post the sun can have a big impact as regards temperature but it's the El Nino Southern Oscillation that has a big impact on our little part of the planet as regards rainfall.

The south east of Ireland rainfall measurements went down from June on to the present time the same time that that ENSO went into neutral territory and while we did see more of a threat from storms and precipitation in dec when it was in a slight La Nina state. It is heading back for neutral again so looks like back to more dry weather again for the southeast of Ireland?

https://www.climate.gov/news-features/blogs/enso/january-2017-enso-update-happy-new-year

Balderdash
    You need to avoid net weather altogether for a while,it's too full of mad ideas ;)

To assist in this endeavour,there's an excellent website Here that should do the trick :D

Balderdash
    You need to avoid net weather altogether for a while,it's too full of mad ideas ;)

To assist in this endeavour,there's an excellent website Here that should do the trick :D

:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭farmerjj

Misty horrible January day,so much for the dry week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭TITANIUM.

Mild dry day in the south west anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

Dry mild and some fog. Feck all drying. Lashing out slurry on a field that I got bogged in last year.

What's not good news is a thing called sudden stratospheric warming over the artic
    Global weather models are particularly good at predicting it
    It's a warming of the highest layer of the atmosphere above the pole
    What it usually does is create an area of high pressure up there that can last a while
    The UK met office today have said it's happening
    It's affects take a while to filter through but in a nutshell it sends artic cold way south
    They expect the effects from about mid February
    So a very cold growthless spring in our neck of the woods
    Plan accordingly

What's not good news is a thing called sudden stratospheric warming over the artic
    Global weather models are particularly good at predicting it
    It's a warming of the highest layer of the atmosphere above the pole
    What it usually does is create an area of high pressure up there that can last a while
    The UK met office today have said it's happening
    It's affects take a while to filter through but in a nutshell it sends artic cold way south
    They expect the effects from about mid February
    So a very cold growthless spring in our neck of the woods
    Plan accordingly

It doesn't always tally though that we get cold in our neck of the woods.
    It leads to more blocking in the northern hemisphere no doubt. But that cold could go to asia, north America or Europe. We could just as easy find ourselves with High Pressure in Europe and us on the edge of it and pulling in a mild SW from the Atlantic.

We had a SSW in Jan 2009 and we were in a cold setup when it started and then went into a mild setup.
    We also had a SSW in Jan 2013 and we were in a mild setup when it started and then we went into a cold setup.
    So while it does send cold south it doesn't always come this way. But it does seem to change the conditions here when it happens.
    And while Europe is getting some very cold conditions at present and it may head this way it may not either.

But definitely something to keep an eye on but we'll see.

It doesn't always tally though that we get cold in our neck of the woods.
    Usually it does

We had a SSW in Jan 2009 and we were in a cold setup when it started and then went into a mild setup.
    Actually early February 2009 was very cold with snow in the east...

Actually early February 2009 was very cold with snow in the east...
    Yeah but I think that was before the effects of the SSW really kicked in.

I'm not putting on the snowplough on the tractor just yet.

Yeah but I think that was before the effects of the SSW really kicked in.

I'm not putting on the snowplough on the tractor just yet.

I didn't ask anyone to...

I didn't ask anyone to...

Touchè. I'm also sending you a link via pm.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Soil temperatures appear fairly good for mid Jan

http://www.met.ie/latest/yesterday.asp

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,062 ✭✭✭✭Base price

10 degrees, sunny and no wind - reminds you of a nice spring day with the birds singing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭restive

Mild this evening. Birds were out singing like crazy!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭Odelay

restive wrote: »
    Mild this evening. Birds were out singing like crazy!

Noticed that as well. Also see the crows are pairing up...they are early, the frost tonight might reset their calendar.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,910 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Dark morning. Drizzling on and off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭boggerman1

Glorious day here in templemore.christ i wish i had 20 cows calved.they would be out!😂

GREAT DAY FOR IT.:)
    20th January 2017.

2017_01_20_14.jpg

2017_01_20_14.jpg

(If pedigree did winters).:p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

gonna be a frosty night

• Registered Users Posts: 24,343 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Tis a wee bit cold out there

• Registered Users Posts: 28,910 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Reggie. wrote: »
    Tis a wee bit cold out there
    Are you back at work?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,343 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

whelan2 wrote: »
    Are you back at work?

Back a while now

Advertisement