A long time since the last update so a long one to catch up! I spent a long time getting the auld Hilux through its test, doing some house alterations, parenting and that kind of thing! A few bits and pieces have still been done on the car. I've made up some brackets to change the old lever/rod operated throttle to a cable one for the throttle position sensor.
This is the new bracket to mount the sensor in the engine bay.
This bracket is fot the other end to hold the outer casing of the cable. Some rustiness in the bacground which will need to be dealt with!
The clutch pedal and master cylinder are in. They are from the gearbox donor clk. The fluid line to the slave cylinder is routed on the inside, but I still have to sort it out on the outside. It connects with a length of flexi hose coming from the gearbox housing.
In other news, I've done some work to get the engine into its final position. My resourceful and very talented engineering friend made a mounting bracket for the gearbox. The OM606 engine is rotated to one side so that is isn't so tall in an engine bay. Although the bell housing on my gearbox fits the engine crank case, the engine the gearbox was attached to mustn't have had the rotation because my gearbox now sits at an angle as you can see in this photo. The steering componenets are horizontal, the bottom of the gearbox is not!
The gearbox bellhousing could be cut and rotated to straighten out the gearbox, but I'm going to just leave it as it is. It doesn't look like it will present any mechanical issues with the build. I'll be crossing my fingers a bit regarding internal lubrication....
Here you can see the new bracket before painting and in its final position in all its glory!
Once the rear of the gearbox was fixed in position, the engine was nudged around the place in order to get the drive shaft to line up correctly in the centre of the carrier bearing:
Now that that's done, it was a case of trying to make sure the engine ends up in the same spot once the new mounts are fitted. So, there are two dots on the sump which line up with two ends of a piece of TIG wire. Once the new mounts are made, the engine should settle back into the same spot. That's the plan anyhow!
That's it, the Engine mounts shipped last Thursday, so once they arrive, it'll be a matter of figuring out how much they will compress under the weight of the engine, and making a mounting plates to suit.