Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

02-11-2013, 12:08   #46
Moffett

Hi Folks, my wife and I have just moved into a new house near Union Wood in Sligo. Despite having both grown up on farms, we don't know much about raising livestock but hope to learn. We are fortunate enough to have 3 acres and had planned a small orchard to start, but having read some of the threads, I might have to re-think or initial strategy....the place is teaming with wild deer! After the orchard we intend on getting some pigs and some chucks. As for the rest, who knows? Now, I'm off to read some more posts on the forum, cheers!
Thanks from:
Advertisement
02-11-2013, 16:53   #47
Chisler2

Welcome Mr & Mrs Moffat! What's the "lie" of your land? My own plans to put in coppicing and start an orchard this autumn (south-facing sloping land between one and two thousand feet, West Mayo) have had to be put on hold due to a broken femur. It will be interesting to discuss strategy and varieties next year and swap tips.
02-11-2013, 17:50   #48
Moffett

Hi Chisler, south sloping, thick woods to the east. I have shelter from our house which would lie south of the intended area and a large shed to the north. We are not much over sealevel, I would estimtae 200-500ft! I have read the fruit tree hand book by Ben Pike ( seems like a good book for the novice ) and to be honest, the chapter about aspects and shelter was quite lost on me. Especially when he admitted himself, that the most successful areas were in the past, found by chance! He has outline diagrams about traditional wind breaks etc. My biggest worry is the deer. They are everywhere except inside the house! My soil sampling kit has arrived ( I'm in work today, and don't think I will be out much in that evening!) so I'm going to start there. I'm going to stick with something tradtional and hardy from a mid size stock. I have never grown as much as a daisy before this. My grandfather had a large orchard right beside the sea, it was felled when i was in my early teens for pasture. The neighbours orchard ( which I am told are from the same stock ) is still going strong, albeit unkempt and forgotten about. The land has since changed hands, so we no longer get any apples off it! After that, the chickens, and then maybe the pigs!...I nearly forgot to add 'get well soon'!...
20-11-2013, 22:03   #49

Those of you that grow your own vegetables,how do you store carrots for the winter,does cover them in sand work.Thanks
16-12-2013, 21:14   #50

hazel or nut bushes as i call them are great for hurdles and sticks
Advertisement
14-01-2014, 00:06   #51
Nearly~November

Hello...Happy new year to ye! I'm an absentee (sigh) and am landless; but I'm setting the wheels in motion to move back to the North West (my native Donegal - or possibly Sligo/Leitrim) - build a house and establish a permaculture smallholding.
..Would love to pick people's brains and generally read your posts and ask questions if that's ok?!

S.
19-01-2014, 19:58   #52
dunarihunting

well, i am a young lad and i am interested in buying a few calves and rearing them but is there an age restriction on getting a herd number
22-02-2014, 23:38   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunarihunting View Post
well, i am a young lad and i am interested in buying a few calves and rearing them but is there an age restriction on getting a herd number
im in the same position but im after sheep
23-02-2014, 02:52   #54
Chisler2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisler2 View Post
I am thrilled to find this forum on Boards.ie. and want to introduce myself as I hope to get and give to other smallholders.

A 65-year-old female 'Dub', I retired last year after 20 years working as a psychotherapist in the NHS in England (one of the thousands of economic migrants in the 1970's).

My maternal grandmother had a garden in Inchicore and I planted and harvested vegetables with her from about age 4.............and loved it! My father planted up our half-acre garden in Dublin - roses, trees and protective privet hedge in the front, north-east facing aspect, and fruit and vegetables which we cropped (and fed a family of 5 on!) throughout the year...........and I learned from this. During my last 5 years of working life I had an allotment where in lived in England. Unfortunately my mother was at that stage in nursing care in Ireland and I spent a 'long weekend' every month so was not 'hands-on' enough to keep it weed-free and productive..........but I loved it and learned from it!

Eventually free of having to be a 'day-labourer', with a pension and good physical health - thank god! - and time, I went and met a big handsome American hulk and fell in love with him and he with me. In June 2012 I came to the live on the prairie with him (he is a Professor of Economics) and we are surrounded by the US Grainbasket - beans on one side, corn on the other, hogs and feeder-cattle enterprise on a scale you would not believe (our next-door neighbour, an architect, owns an 800-acre farm which is managed by ONE EMPLOYEE with the kind of robotic planters, harvesters etc. which would strike terror! The American mid-west has also experienced the worst draught since 1930.

...........and for this Irish lass who has been in love with the mountains and coastline of Connemara since childhood, no mountains and no sea!

So I am in the market for a smallholding in Mayo, Sligo or Clare, between 5 to 15 acres. My Significant Other reaches Senior Faculty Status in 18 months and will be free to join me for extended periods on the smallholding. I know there will be a lot to do but I can't wait. I love trees and yearn to plant an oak plantation. I won't be here to see it mature but it makes me very happy to contemplate the prospect.

I have lots of questions and am so pleased to find a group of people who need to scratch a similar itch to mine, so to speak.
An update of my introductory post of February 2013.

Schedule has fallen apart somewhat through a combination of rehabilitating a broken femur (I fell off a train whilst journeying to a lime-plastering course and dry-stone walling workshop) and the discovery of a Ring Fort (Cashel) on the 13-acre farm I bought last June.

So all the work of renovating the dwelling is still ahead. A forester from The Native Woodlands Establishment Scheme (NWES) is coming to the farm in a few weeks time to advise on what species of tree can be planted, where and how. The enforced delays have given me time to research beekeeping, so the planting will include as much of a mixed orchard as I can afford.
(3) thanks from:
Advertisement
23-02-2014, 21:27   #55

hey youre lucky you have a ringfort
05-03-2014, 20:05   #56
tattycat

Hiya all! Is this site/post active anymore? Seems to have a couple of banned nd not much posting.......
20-03-2014, 12:04   #57
Hesh's Umpire

Hi all,

I have a bungalow on an acre meaning I have around 2/3rds of an acre of ground to maintain.
So far just have a hen run with 10 layers in it and the two dogs in their own area, a small herb garden and just ploughed up an area for a veg garden this year - nothing fancy, spuds, carrots, parsnips, onions, lettuce, cabbage, leeks and a bit of rhubarb planned.
Also inherited a few apple trees and have added two more, plus two each pear and plum trees and some cherry trees, and soft fruit bushes.
Would love a couple of lambs or a pig but can't persuade the missus!

Last edited by Hesh's Umpire; 20-03-2014 at 13:08. Reason: spelling
20-03-2014, 13:15   #58
Askim

Hi Hesh
Why doesn't she want lambs or pigs, smell, eating "pets" ??

A
24-03-2014, 08:47   #59
Hesh's Umpire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Askim View Post
Hi Hesh
Why doesn't she want lambs or pigs, smell, eating "pets" ??

A
No, more the extra work involved. Would need a pig sty/shed for lambs too which I don't have just yet.
17-04-2015, 14:56   #60
honky101

New smallholding

I am finallising the purchase of a property with 11 acres which I intend to run as a small organic farm. However I have no farming experience. I intend to have a very small number or goats and sheep, a cow, pigs and chickens and ducks. I hoping to get a Kerry cow, Galway sheep and a family of Old Irish Goats all of which are endangered irish breeds.

I think complete self sufficiency will be a bit of a stretch but that it was I am aiming for. The house needs a lot of work but there is a barn and stables.

Been a dream for a long time and been working pretty hard over last few years to save and make it happen. Hoping to leave the rat race in 5 years to concentrate on it full time.

Some really great stories on this thread. Would love to hear how you all are getting on now a couple of years down the line and of course any advise you could pass on would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion