Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Auctions

• 30-04-2007 2:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭

Can anyone recommend an auction in Dublin please? Im toying with the idea of buying cheap stuff in bulk at auctions in Dublin and reselling on ebay. I was thinking something small that I could store easily and maybe make a small bit on postage as well.

Has anyone/does anyone on here do that?

Any feedback?

Anything to look out for?

Anything that sells well?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

You're really going to need to know what you intend to buy/sell before doing this. Small cheap items that sell well on eBay would be things like mobile phones and mp3 players. You won't buy these cheap in Ireland though unless they're broken, crap or stolen. All the cheapest electronics gear on eBay comes from HK, not always great quality though.

Cheap stuff often means tack that nobody wants so you may end up with a load of stuff you can't sell. The only public auctions I'm aware of are usually run in Hotels on a Sunday afternoon (you'll see ads in Buy and Sell all the time) and they just sell really cheap, often damaged, crap and get everyone into a bidding frenzy so they can fleece you. They deal mostly in household goods, TV's, video, DVD, small furniture items, etc. I wouldn't recommend you go to any of these though, not at all good value.

The only other kind of auction I've heard about are when a company goes into liquidation and another company comes in to sell off all their stock. Having been to one of these and seeing people paying up to €1000 for a broken laptop I quickly realised that auctions are not for amateurs. You can find bargain pallets of stuff at these auctions but you do need to keep your wits about you. Dovebid are a company that do this so you could Google for Dovebid and Ireland to see if there is anything coming up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭Macca206

Thanks..Ive been toying with the idea of importing goods from China such as cables and reselling on ebay as id reckon many wouldnt trade with China simply as they think its dodgy (the downside is that they often are dodgy and i could be the one ripped off).

Ive came across Wilson auctions Dublin so will go along and see what the story is..probably not buying anything on ym 1st visit till I get the feel of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,657 ✭✭✭magnumlady

I've always thought that you could make money from going over to Wales stocking up on things from car boot sales (dead cheap) and reselling them here. Only trouble is most of it would be second hand.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,603 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

you'd be surprised. the 2nd hand thing doesn't have the same stigma in the u.k. as it does here.

personally my plan is to buy in euro and sell in sterling and hope to bring in the bidders looking for euro priced bargains.

my first sale ends tonight and the tension is mounting:D

a couple of watchers who i reckon (hope) will start sniping the auction between themselves. my costs are covered already and i'm more interested in building feedback than making pots of cash just now;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,657 ✭✭✭magnumlady

horgan_p wrote:
    you'd be surprised. the 2nd hand thing doesn't have the same stigma in the u.k. as it does here.

personally my plan is to buy in euro and sell in sterling and hope to bring in the bidders looking for euro priced bargains.

my first sale ends tonight and the tension is mounting:D

a couple of watchers who i reckon (hope) will start sniping the auction between themselves. my costs are covered already and i'm more interested in building feedback than making pots of cash just now;)

Yeah thats true about the stigma.

Best of luck with the selling on ebay, its great fun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

wilsons are ok to deal with, just make shure that you listen carefully to the auctioneers discriptions, it will take a few weeks to get the hang of it, just listen and learn, watch also for the guys that buy diff items, put you own value on things, do not go over that, also guys that buy certain items, do not make stuff 2 dear on them, salute them when you pass, ask them hows biz, the 1 day you can say i would like to buy item no +++ and it yours

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭Macca206

old boy wrote:
    wilsons are ok to deal with, just make shure that you listen carefully to the auctioneers discriptions, it will take a few weeks to get the hang of it, just listen and learn, watch also for the guys that buy diff items, put you own value on things, do not go over that, also guys that buy certain items, do not make stuff 2 dear on them, salute them when you pass, ask them hows biz, the 1 day you can say i would like to buy item no +++ and it yours

Thanks.. are there any similar auctions to Wilsons?

Advertisement