Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion : 2019 and Winter 2020

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭koutoubia

ongarboy wrote: »
    The current rainfall radar map on met.ie shows little pockets of red (ie 12-20 mm per hour of rain) in North County Dublin so there is probably some very heavy localized downpours there right now.
    There was certainly a downpour after the thunder and lightning but nothing compared to what fell last night....in my area on NCD anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,097 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Yellow warning issued by Met Éireann, with mentioned of heavy thundery downpours. Valid from now until 10pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭Rougies

Wicklow mountains cell sparking now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭klaaaz

Oh my, heading directly for Dublin city from Wicklow mountains, radar at 1:40pm

483469.PNG

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Recent sferics near Bunclody according to netweather radar

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭AlanMcC23

Just heard a loud long rumble of thunder here in north laois. Didnt see any lightening though

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭chris2007

is their anything heading for Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 5,871 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Not sure how to take that remark

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

Dark and cloudy all day in the north east. Suddenly now clouds gone, blue skies, and much warmer.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,131 ✭✭✭✭km79

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Not sure how to take that remark

This forum has got heatstroke last 2 days
    That’s the only explanation

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,279 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

This humid clammy grey weather is the absolute worst weather type we get here.

I’d take cold but fresh days over this.

This humid clammy grey weather is the absolute worst weather type we get here.

I’d take cold but fresh days over this.

Especially with nothing to show for it,

Nothing here, no thunder, light shower a few mins ago. Oh well.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Quietened down now and also over in the UK . Heavy convective showers, darkened for a while here near Tralee in the afternoon but no rainfall. All sunny and bright again.

skHU1Zc.png

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Munsters turn tomorrow perhaps.

Looks like heavy downpours . No DLS top speak of just low level shear and Kerry / Cork in an area of convergence. Being of a more mountainous area could get quite a few strikes IMO

Rza1CkY.png

QW9v8Vf.png

cnLhArg.png

UEdrcQ8.png

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

I'm not trolling but would it be safe to head out to the rocks casting with a 14 ft carbon beach rod for mackerel this evening ?

I remember year's ago it was suggested not to go fishing when there's a possibility of thunder and lightning..

Jumping a bit ahead , Sat is an intriguing day with what looks like frontal activity crossing the country maybe early morning . Think it is a cold front making its way into the warm moist air mass giving a huge amount of forcing. Preliminary and obviously unreliable at this stage looking like a very active front with embedded thunderstorms as it runs into CAPE values that go through the roof. There would be potentially very heavy downpours and quite possible severe thunderstorms.

These are just my amateur thoughts at this early stage . I think it could be a possible extreme event but a lot could change between now and then. Basing this on the ECMWF model guidance. Nothing certain but worth keeping an eye on I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,626 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Lots of lightning strikes in Northern France at the moment, these storms should make their way up towards London and the South East of England in the small hours. There could be some impressive lightning again overnight there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

Ok - question for the convective heads here who understand the life cycle of a midlands Irish Summer Thunderstorm:
    Back when I was a young lad my Grandfather (long since RIP) used to tell me that in these humid summer days when thunderstorms built and moved slowly in a general South to North direction that they would follow the rivers Suck and Shannon northwards, leaving us in south Roscommon in the dry slot in between.
    Now on many summer days since that I have observed that exact phonomen.
    And once again this evening about 10km to my West a thunderstorm has followed the river Suck northwards from Ballinasloe like a streamer for about 4 hours.
    See radar image attached.

So what causes it??

Is there some interaction between the rivers and the cloud? Or is it that the storms follow the river valleys (although obviously the Shannon and Suck valleys are quite shallow here)?

Now this only seems to happen when there is little to no wind, when strong higher level winds are present their direction over-rides the South-North streamer formation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Neddyusa wrote: »
    Ok - question for the convective heads here who understand the life cycle of a midlands Irish Summer Thunderstorm:
    Back when I was a young lad my Grandfather (long since RIP) used to tell me that in these humid summer days when thunderstorms built and moved slowly in a general South to North direction that they would follow the rivers Suck and Shannon northwards, leaving us in south Roscommon in the dry slot in between.
    Now on many summer days since that I have observed that exact phonomen.
    And once again this evening about 10km to my West a thunderstorm has followed the river Suck northwards from Ballinasloe like a streamer for about 4 hours.
    See radar image attached.

So what causes it??

Is there some interaction between the rivers and the cloud? Or is it that the storms follow the river valleys (although obviously the Shannon and Suck valleys are quite shallow here)?

Now this only seems to happen when there is little to no wind, when strong higher level winds are present their direction over-rides the South-North streamer formation.

Not familiar with the area but it could just be a simple case of it being a common convergence zone
    They don't change

• Advertisement

Mortelaro wrote: »
    Not familiar with the area but it could just be a simple case of it being a common convergence zone
    They don't change

Thanks. So is it topography that's influencing these convergence zones?

Interesting observation Neddyusa. Got me looking at the charts for this evening and the topography of Ireland. Going by the earlier charts it would look like an area of convergence which comes about possibly as a result of the slack airflow following the contours of the land and that area might be a regular convergence zone. I don't know if enough evaporation could be coming off the rivers to aid convection in this area also ?

nmm_uk1-3-13-4_wyb0.png

9FVFL67.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,871 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Great lightning on the Le Harve webcam

https://www.lehavretourisme.com/en/live-webcam

Interesting observation Neddyusa. Got me looking at the charts for this evening and the topography of Ireland. Going by the earlier charts it would look like an area of convergence which comes about possibly as a result of the slack airflow following the contours of the land and that area might be a regular convergence zone. I don't know if enough evaporation could be coming off the rivers to aid convection in this area also ?

nmm_uk1-3-13-4_wyb0.png

9FVFL67.jpg

That's great Meteorite.
    Looking at that relief map it seems to be the lower ground of the river valleys creating the convergence zones. Particularly as this evenings one followed the Suck northwards before cutting Northeast-wards towards the Shannon through another area of low terrain in mid-Roscommon.
    The evaporation from the rivers was also something I had wondered about too.
    I've marked the route of this evenings river Suck streamer in black and the usual route of the river Shannon ones in yellow.

nmm_uk1-3-13-4_wyb0.png

9FVFL67.jpg

That's great Meteorite.
    Looking at that relief map it seems to be the lower ground of the river valleys creating the convergence zones. Particularly as this evenings one followed the Suck northwards before cutting Northeast-wards towards the Shannon through another area of low terrain in mid-Roscommon.
    The evaporation from the rivers was also something I had wondered about too.

And then this morning we have the river Shannon streamer - just to illustrate the point!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,626 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

sdanseo wrote: »
    Heathrow TAF forecasting heavy thunderstorms 22-05Z (worth noting - airport closes almost entirely from 22z-05z so no disruption to flights likely)

A bust forecast sdanseo. As I mentioned it turned out to be a E.Sussex/Kent event again.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭chris2007

Whats the chance of thunderstorm activity Friday night/ Saturday morning

• Registered Users Posts: 10,054 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Thunderstorm north of Bantry now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭aisling86

Thunderstorm north of Bantry now

Started over coachford, took an hour to get to Macroom, was rain like I've never seen before in my life & the winds were so strong also. Very slow moving systems.

Advertisement