Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Spring 2019 - General Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

All depends on what you're used to, I spent a few years in Australia and Asia and by the time I left I found anything below around 21 or 22C cold and could comfortably deal with mid 30's. I suspect if I had to do a days work in that heat now I'd find it unbearable

Another nice day today for that matter, cool breeze again but good amounts of sunshine

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,699 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I think everyone has slightly different comfort zones in the summer. As we are generally a very cool country, most peoples idea of what is warm or too warm would still be considered cool in most other countries.

We don't use air conditioning so any warmth we do get, is multiplied indoors by having no air conditioning, which causes alot of people here to feel uncomfortable once the temperature goes past 20C.

For me, an ideal comfortable summer temperature would be about 22C to 32C. Anything less than 21C just feels cool to me, especially if there is a breeze, doesn't help that my home is an ice box most of the year and takes forever for the warmth to get going inside the house after the buildup of cold throughout winter and spring.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,625 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

pad199207 wrote: »
    That’s why we have the beautiful invention of Air Con ;-)

Yes, but not standard in older cars:(

I suppose if temperatures in the low 30s were the norm i'd get use to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭acequion

Graces7 wrote: »
    exactly so! I was raised during the War and after without central heating and find folks seem these days to need far far more heating than we ever had,

The mid teens is as high as is comfortable FOR ME. Last summer was torture. lol.. vive la difference

ps raining water and midges here

Over and out..not enough well to stay

Mind yourself Graces and do indeed keep us posted. Glad you've enjoyed this nice spell of weather.

Gonzo wrote: »
    I think everyone has slightly different comfort zones in the summer. As we are generally a very cool country, most peoples idea of what is warm or too warm would still be considered cool in most other countries.

We don't use air conditioning so any warmth we do get, is multiplied indoors by having no air conditioning, which causes alot of people here to feel uncomfortable once the temperature goes past 20C.

For me, an ideal comfortable summer temperature would be about 22C to 32C. Anything less than 21C just feels cool to me, especially if there is a breeze, doesn't help that my home is an ice box most of the year and takes forever for the warmth to get going inside the house after the buildup of cold throughout winter and spring.

That would be mine too. In fact 30 is just lovely.

But being a real season junkie, for me it's all about the season. Right now in May I'm perfectly happy with temps in the teens,but in high summer I find the teens far too cold.

My house is the opposite to yours though Gonzo. Being south facing, with lots of glass and timber framed, it's a real hot house and very warm summer nights can be tough without at least a fan. But in cool summers it's a micro climate here indoors and I like it. I'm often surprised when I venture outside how cool it actually is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,130 ✭✭✭highdef

acequion wrote: »
    But being a real season junkie, for me it's all about the season. Right now in May I'm perfectly happy with temps in the teens,but in high summer I find the teens far too cold.

Ok, so it's still May so you want Spring temperatures. So if it's 20c on the 31st of May, does that mean that it will be a bit too warm for you? Conversely, if it's 20c the following day, is it then a bit unseasonably cool for your liking?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,130 ✭✭✭highdef

acequion wrote: »
    Being south facing, with lots of glass and timber framed, it's a real hot house and very warm summer nights can be tough without at least a fan. But in cool summers it's a micro climate here indoors and I like it. I'm often surprised when I venture outside how cool it actually is.
    I've built a new garden from scratch behind the existing back garden. Through careful planning of what goes where and the materials used for non flora areas, not only is the new back garden consistently warmer than the existing back garden by an average of 2/3c but it also normally has very little wind, all due to careful planning. A true microclimate!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Don't forget to breath, it ain't good for you if you don't :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,870 ✭✭✭pauldry

Well 10mm in first 24 days of May is about to end up as 30 to 40mm by months end. A lot of NW messy drizzle n showers to end May.

Still hope dry returns for June so kids can live outside like they have for past month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

pauldry wrote: »
    Well 10mm in first 24 days of May is about to end up as 30 to 40mm by months end. A lot of NW messy drizzle n showers to end May.

Still hope dry returns for June so kids can live outside like they have for past month.

Only 14.8mm here in Arklow in may
    Nothing yesterday and a beautiful warm morning so far nudging 16c already

I'd imagine the overnight rain Saturday into Sunday here will delivery little
    But at least we got that 15mm,some got next to nothing :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Cool cloudy morning here. I’d hate to see this slipping into June. Any sign of some hot sunny weather forecast?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,257 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

feeling mild under some cloud cover in Dublin - no breeze which helps. Sun trying to break through the cloud.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,699 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Cool cloudy morning here. I’d hate to see this slipping into June. Any sign of some hot sunny weather forecast?

not for the forseeable future. We have a cold snap next week, then after that there is a chance of some warmer weather from about the 7th of June, but that is deep in FI.

not for the forseeable future. We have a cold snap next week, then after that there is a chance of some warmer weather from about the 7th of June, but that is deep in FI.

Thanks Gonzo it’s 13.5 degrees here now and very dark and overcast. I’m always afraid that our summer can drift along with temps like this or a little higher. Certainly doesn’t feel mild here though. Hopefully a bit of warmth tomorrow though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,027 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

sunny spells and 20.3c which I think is the first 20+ of the month in my parts which just shows how chilly May has been on the east coast.

sunny spells and 20.3c which I think is the first 20+ of the month in my parts which just shows how chilly May has been on the east coast.

currently only 16C here at Dunshaughlin and completely cloudy. 18C has been the highest temperature so far this month at my location. This May has been a bitter dissapointment in terms of temperatures with temperatures struggling in the low teens for the majority of the month so far. We've had fires lit on about 17 evenings throughout this month.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,870 ✭✭✭pauldry

13c in Sligo trying to drizzle . cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,114 ✭✭✭pad199207

Cloudy and Mild in N Kildare 18c

• Registered Users Posts: 48,131 ✭✭✭✭km79

Dull but feels pleasant in east Galway
    Haven’t had to war a jumper never mind a jacket this week
    I’ll take that !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

18c in Arklow, its sunny and beautiful out and about,feels warm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Model show good clear spells develop from 1500utc (4pm) on...let's see of they materialise... quite pleasant out though despite the cloud.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,257 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Model show good clear spells develop from 1500utc (4pm) on...let's see of they materialise... quite pleasant out though despite the cloud.

Well it's feeling even warmer now in DCC - very intense sun when it breaks through the clouds. No chill breeze either.

Thanks Gonzo it’s 13.5 degrees here now and very dark and overcast. I’m always afraid that our summer can drift along with temps like this or a little higher. Certainly doesn’t feel mild here though. Hopefully a bit of warmth tomorrow though.

Yeah I see your point there Clonmel. All too often the summer just plods along with dull and disappointing weather and next thing you know it's late August and you can feel the evenings starting to close in. Fingers tightly crossed that that won't happen this year.

Ready reports of intense sun and very warm just shows the variation in our weather. It’s coat weather here today most people in jackets or coats.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Warm and humid in cork city, feels heavy? Overcast though sadly otherwise it would be very warm I'd say

not a hint of sunshine at any stage today in Meath and feeling fairly cool, a few big drops of rain earlier, but ground has stayed mostly dry.

So depends on where your living it’s either hot humid with some intense sun or else cool and threatening rain. 😉😬

just had a short but sharp shower, ground fully wet now. First rain in about 2 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,498 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

just had a short but sharp shower, ground fully wet now. First rain in about 2 weeks.

Very light odd drizzle in Dublin. Had torrential downpours last Sunday that were the heaviest rain I had seen in quite a long time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Squeaksoutloud

So depends on where your living it’s either hot humid with some intense sun or else cool and threatening rain. 😉😬

I've experienced both today between North wicklow in warm sunshine and North County Dublin cloudy. Although wouldn't consider it that cool.. Overcast with spitting rain at times.

Advertisement