Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

11-10-2018, 15:04   #16
ZX7R

Another thing that needs to be addressed is boards weather warnings.
For example the current tread says level 2 weather warning be prepared.
The problem I have is if a person is looking at the heading it looks like it's a country wide warning
Advertisement
11-10-2018, 15:07   #17
MJohnston

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX7R View Post
Another thing that needs to be addressed is boards weather warnings.
For example the current tread says level 2 weather warning be prepared.
The problem I have is if a person is looking at the heading it looks like it's a country wide warning

If posters can't be expected to actually read a little bit of the thread they're seeing those warnings on, we're doomed. I seriously don't think anything about that process needs to change, people need to.
11-10-2018, 15:19   #18
ZX7R

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJohnston View Post
If posters can't be expected to actually read a little bit of the thread they're seeing those warnings on, we're doomed. I seriously don't think anything about that process needs to change, people need to.
Most don't
11-10-2018, 15:22   #19
Harry Palmr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strangegravy View Post
It's the county lines that create the biggest problem really.

The western tips of Galway and Mayo might get winds that warrant a Red warning from Storm Callum, but the eastern sides might only be Yellow.

They should just do a straight or curved linear system, forgetting about county lines, and have red/orange, orange/yellow buffer zones between the warning areas.
I suggested that a while back and got shot down!

edit - something like this

Last edited by Harry Palmr; 11-10-2018 at 15:29.
11-10-2018, 16:05   #20
spookwoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJohnston View Post
Not to mention it is a thread with weather enthusiasts discussing the weather, its not as if its the national weather service.
(4) thanks from:
Advertisement
11-10-2018, 16:13   #21

How did we survive in the 70s and 80s without coloured weather warning processes?
I don't ever recall my school being shut due to weather and I don't ever remember feeling in any danger walking/cycling to and from school.

People are shouting Call it Red days before a storm even materialises. We have become awful soft and helpless.

Last edited by Sycamore Tree; 11-10-2018 at 16:16.
Thanks from:
11-10-2018, 19:30   #22
smodgley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sycamore Tree View Post
How did we survive in the 70s and 80s without coloured weather warning processes?
I don't ever recall my school being shut due to weather and I don't ever remember feeling in any danger walking/cycling to and from school.

People are shouting Call it Red days before a storm even materialises. We have become awful soft and helpless.
Snowflake society now ( pun intended)
Thanks from:
11-10-2018, 19:44   #23
MJohnston

Quote:
Originally Posted by smodgley View Post
Snowflake society now ( pun intended)
Oh please.
(3) thanks from:
11-10-2018, 20:55   #24
Beechwoodspark

I just hope we don’t wake up tomorr realising Met eireann have called it wrong for the second time in a number of weeks
Thanks from:
Advertisement
11-10-2018, 21:05   #25
Rhineshark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechwoodspark View Post
I just hope we don’t wake up tomorr realising Met eireann have called it wrong for the second time in a number of weeks
It will absolutely be "wrong" to a certain number of people who won't care or indeed notice that other regions were hit far worse. If they do not personally see trees down, Met Eireann got it wrong. Sure as Christmas.
Thanks from:
12-10-2018, 08:11   #26
Macy0161

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhineshark View Post
It will absolutely be "wrong" to a certain number of people who won't care or indeed notice that other regions were hit far worse. If they do not personally see trees down, Met Eireann got it wrong. Sure as Christmas.
There's already complaints from areas that weren't under orange on the chat thread!

As to how we survived in the 70's and 80's, well people did take more personal responsibility, and that included listening to the weather forecast, not just following clickbait facebook headlines from the likes of the journal or joe...
Thanks from:
12-10-2018, 08:28   #27
Rhineshark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macy0161 View Post
There's already complaints from areas that weren't under orange on the chat thread!

As to how we survived in the 70's and 80's, well people did take more personal responsibility, and that included listening to the weather forecast, not just following clickbait facebook headlines from the likes of the journal or joe...
Ikr! God forbid anyone else get a warning when they were only yellow and have not woken up in Oz!

And storms came in with less warning (esp in specific areas) and people occassionally died. Also, there were less cars on the road, travelling in packs at rush hour getting stuck in traffic under tree-lined avenues and less power lines to get downed.
(2) thanks from:
12-10-2018, 10:12   #28
Graces7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX7R View Post
Most don't
Their loss then
Thanks from:
12-10-2018, 10:15   #29
Graces7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sycamore Tree View Post

I remember having to walk five miles home in freezing fog and darkening as the buses had stopped running. |Had the forecast been heeded?
12-10-2018, 11:21   #30
Pretzill

I think they should do away with the category system of yellow, orange and red and just go back to warning us about the weather. Storm Ali did not have the hype surrounding it, two people died, it was close to a red here. Storm Callum as an orange is just a slightly windy day.

When you draw a large brush stroke over swathes of the country you will never predict the levels on a more regional level. I would prefer regional weather forecasts in more detail and less of the hype, more of the clear forecasting.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion